Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

3 angles in one shot with neway cutters 13 Sep 2010 18:26 #398372

• larrycavan
  • larrycavan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 angles in one shot with neway cutters 13 Sep 2010 18:32 #398373

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
Thanks for the link Larry!
I always wondered why these were not available, as it seemed very possible.
I'll get some eventually, don't do it everyday like some, so will have to wait till I can warrant the cost.
Thanks again.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

3 angles in one shot with neway cutters 13 Sep 2010 18:34 #398374

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
your making my head hurt,heres a main line machine with 3 angles in one picture back at ya! :woohoo:
Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

Last edit: by PLUMMEN.

3 angles in one shot with neway cutters 13 Sep 2010 18:55 #398389

• Motor Head
  • User
You know I started rolling that around in my head, 5 cutting blades trying to make 1 cut, but all 5 adjustable. Might take a bit of practice to get a set up that works on each diameter seat. I still like the Idea, but the MIRA or SERDI with 1 cutter with the angles is a much better set up.
I tested a set up through MAC Tools once that would give a EGG shaped seat every time, put a dial indicator against the pilot, it moved like .004" easily while trying to cut. That was with a tight guide to pilot fit, the pilot would flex that much. Junk, sent it back for a refund, been a Neway type of Guy Before and After. Only 1 shop I've been at had the MIRA's, they were absolutely fantastic! I have never used a SERDI.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

3 angles in one shot with neway cutters 13 Sep 2010 19:22 #398400

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
Motor Head wrote:

You know I started rolling that around in my head, 5 cutting blades trying to make 1 cut, but all 5 adjustable. Might take a bit of practice to get a set up that works on each diameter seat. I still like the Idea, but the MIRA or SERDI with 1 cutter with the angles is a much better set up.
I tested a set up through MAC Tools once that would give a EGG shaped seat every time, put a dial indicator against the pilot, it moved like .004" easily while trying to cut. That was with a tight guide to pilot fit, the pilot would flex that much. Junk, sent it back for a refund, been a Neway type of Guy Before and After. Only 1 shop I've been at had the MIRA's, they were absolutely fantastic! I have never used a SERDI.

I have a set of those blades on the way. You need a tool to set them. Goodson has the tool or it can be made fairly easily I think.

Watch the video on that site. It shows you how to set the cutters.

With Neway cutters, you want to have more than just a couple. I have multiple cutters that I set up for certain heads and then grab the right one as I need it.

Shop Craig's list and you can find some smoking deals on powerheads and cutters ;)

I contacted the guy as well. If I like the blades, he'll make me any angle combo I want. I like a steeper top cut than 30 on KZ heads.

Last edit: by larrycavan.

3 angles in one shot with neway cutters 13 Sep 2010 19:32 #398402

• Motor Head
  • User
Yep tool to set em up. Different Sizes for different seat sizes, a real good Idea, and I have several, also a lot of solid pilots.
How many did you order? 5 for 1 size to try it out?
This would cut the cost down a lot for any of the members here who feel they may want to invest so they can do their own valve job.
Have you seen a carbide cutter, besides the Neway Gizo-matic, for cutting the face on a valve? Believe it or not there is a Briggs & Straton field service tool that's been in the small engine shops for decades. Its a hand operated one, with 1 carbide cutting blade. Not for a main stream cylinder head machine shop for sure, but it does work and does a fair job of refacing, then a lap with some fine compound.

Found a Image of the Briggs Tool, looked for a Video but couldn't find 1. Probably good for a laugh anyway. There was one of these in the Rental store I worked in back in 1980.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Motor Head. Reason: Pic

3 angles in one shot with neway cutters 14 Sep 2010 06:37 #398557

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
Yes, I ordered 5 blades.

3 angles in one shot with neway cutters 16 Sep 2010 21:23 #399247

• Motor Head
  • User
Have you had a chance to test drive tis new set up on your Neways? Or maybe they haven't turned up yet.

3 angles in one shot with neway cutters 17 Sep 2010 08:20 #399309

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
I played with them a little last night. Maybe over the weekend I'll give them a good test drive.

3 angles in one shot with neway cutters 17 Sep 2010 20:47 #399500

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
I have to say, the guy that makes the blades is hands down, the best supplier I have ever done business with. I'll fill in the details next week sometime. :)

3 angles in one shot with neway cutters 17 Sep 2010 21:18 #399507

• Becker
  • User
  • The Doctor Will Rise Again
  • Thank you received: 1
Pictures please. I'm having a hard time understanding how it all works.

Is it one blade with 3 different angles or is it separate blades set at different angles?

If the first, do you think the center of the 45 degree will wear out first possibly making it rounded? How do you make sure all the blades are lined up vertically? Aactually, how do you make sure they line up with the seat?

If the latter, does it put to much pressure on any of the blades compared to others?

I've always thought this was a good idea too. Very interesting.
78 KZ750B3
79 KZ400 LTD
78 KZ650C2
79 KZ650C3
78 KZ650B2A
80 KZ650F1
80 KZ650E1
81 CB750K Super Sport

3 angles in one shot with neway cutters 18 Sep 2010 06:56 #399565

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
Becker wrote:

Pictures please. I'm having a hard time understanding how it all works.

Is it one blade with 3 different angles or is it separate blades set at different angles?

If the first, do you think the center of the 45 degree will wear out first possibly making it rounded? How do you make sure all the blades are lined up vertically? Aactually, how do you make sure they line up with the seat?

If the latter, does it put to much pressure on any of the blades compared to others?

I've always thought this was a good idea too. Very interesting.

Watch the video.

Pickup a form tool for setting the blades on Ebay for a few dollars. The top one in this listing.

shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m...t=See-All-Categories

• Page: