Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Compressed air line in the shop 22 Aug 2010 05:32 #392912

• Night_Train01
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Black pipe is the way to go, its cheap and very easy to work with. I work at a fitting company and the money is in the quick disconnects, make sure you get a nice coupler nipple combo thats automatic, meaning you simply press them together and no fighting with having to pull back the collar on the coupler. If you go with black iron piping make sure you tape all your joints.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Compressed air line in the shop 22 Aug 2010 05:55 #392917

• tybolt99
  • tybolt99's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • From where KZs came
Thank you all.

Pex! I think I still have some of them left when I plumbed the house.I need to check how much I have left.May run long straight run with black pipe to keep the fall!?

Here is old new to me compressor.
82 KZ750 H3
76 KZ900 A4
74 Z1A
73 Z1 (on the shelf)
84 ZN1300
Franklinton, NC
Attachments:

Compressed air line in the shop 22 Aug 2010 06:08 #392919

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
an old Emglo, never any complaints with those and parts shouldn't be a problem, pick up a Craftsman 6 hp 33 gallon oilless one myself for 150 the other day,

Compressed air line in the shop 22 Aug 2010 06:20 #392922

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
  • Thank you received: 1
I can see already you don't have enough room for that. But since I'm so generous, you can store it at my shop for free!
As a bonus I'll run it every once in a while to make sure it stays running good.:woohoo:
77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

Compressed air line in the shop 22 Aug 2010 06:32 #392926

• tybolt99
  • User
  • From where KZs came
jjdwoodman wrote:

I can see already you don't have enough room for that. But since I'm so generous, you can store it at my shop for free!
As a bonus I'll run it every once in a while to make sure it stays running good.:woohoo:

Thank you for your offer, but I think you are bit too far from me:laugh:
82 KZ750 H3
76 KZ900 A4
74 Z1A
73 Z1 (on the shelf)
84 ZN1300
Franklinton, NC

Compressed air line in the shop 22 Aug 2010 09:02 #392965

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
ill store the z1 for ya till ya get the air lines done! :) :woohoo:
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Compressed air line in the shop 22 Aug 2010 14:14 #393034

• Kawboy74
  • User
  • Thank you received: 52
I recommend 1/2" copper pipe that you can solder or use compression fittings for corners or drop-downs to threaded fittings. Most copper pipe is rated to at least 300 p.s.i., is readily available locally and does not need to be threaded like iron pipe. Make sure you run the pipe on a slight upward slope around your walls so that any moisture in the system will run back towards the air source. Make an extension past the bottom of the area where you have a take-off for your quick-connect like they do for gas lines where you can install a drain to allow trapped water to be bled out occasionally as you would not believe how much moisture will collect during summer use! A separator is worth having but draining water away is very helpful especially if spray painting.
Good luck! David;)
1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada

Compressed air line in the shop 22 Aug 2010 14:16 #393035

• Kawboy74
  • User
  • Thank you received: 52
Sorry, you should also have a flex line between your compressor and the wall mounted piping to eliminate vibration and to allow your compressor to be moved if needed. David:cheer:
1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada

Compressed air line in the shop 22 Aug 2010 14:54 #393039

• kzbobber1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
heres the deal man. I have worked in many shops and have seen all the different ways to run air lines. all work well but some cost alot more than others! Copper is by far the most expensive of them all. One 8' section is almost $40!! if you have some money and are running just a small amount of lines than thats cool. Black Iron is strong and still not too cheap, but the inside of the lines rust fast and can ruin your tools unless you have a top of the line dryer. I own a custom paint shop and ran all my lines out of PVC. Go to the store and look at them. all of my pipes are rated for 400 psi which is more than some copper lines. The only reason people shy away from PVC is if they use fork lifts or things like that, that could run into the wall and bust the line. I have been using mine with a $4000 compressor set at 150 psi for a year now and have had no leaks or no problems. It might have cost me $70 to plumb my whole shop and it looks great and works great. Easy to set up!!

Compressed air line in the shop 22 Aug 2010 15:16 #393042

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
kzbobber1 wrote:

heres the deal man. I have worked in many shops and have seen all the different ways to run air lines. all work well but some cost alot more than others! Copper is by far the most expensive of them all. One 8' section is almost $40!! if you have some money and are running just a small amount of lines than thats cool. Black Iron is strong and still not too cheap, but the inside of the lines rust fast and can ruin your tools unless you have a top of the line dryer. I own a custom paint shop and ran all my lines out of PVC. Go to the store and look at them. all of my pipes are rated for 400 psi which is more than some copper lines. The only reason people shy away from PVC is if they use fork lifts or things like that, that could run into the wall and bust the line. I have been using mine with a $4000 compressor set at 150 psi for a year now and have had no leaks or no problems. It might have cost me $70 to plumb my whole shop and it looks great and works great. Easy to set up!!

$40 for 8' of copper,what kind of copper are you using? :laugh: oh yeah copper normally comes in 10 or 20 foot lengths
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Last edit: by PLUMMEN.

Compressed air line in the shop 22 Aug 2010 16:38 #393056

• kzbobber1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
ok, maybe I was exaggerating on the price or the copper.:blink: it does come in 10' sections but I looked it up and it is $22 for a ten foot section. If you have some distance to travel with the pipe than it gets very expensive.

Compressed air line in the shop 22 Aug 2010 17:07 #393063

• tybolt99
  • User
  • From where KZs came
PLUMMEN wrote:

ill store the z1 for ya till ya get the air lines done! :) :woohoo:

I thought about it, but I am done with line:laugh:
82 KZ750 H3
76 KZ900 A4
74 Z1A
73 Z1 (on the shelf)
84 ZN1300
Franklinton, NC