• Page:

TOPIC:

More big plans. 12 Oct 2005 20:56 #1229

• nfswift
  • nfswift's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
luvmykaw wrote:

Lovely, let's try this again. Many/most of your questions will be answered by checking out an article in the file base. Go community, filebase, then popular or the 1980 category. You are looking for the KZ 750 E1 article that someone kindly uploaded for us. There's some dandy info in there for you.

Thanks for the heads up on that article, I'll take a look.

Also good thinking GargantuChet, I can't remember what exact URL the site was but it was the one that was linked to KZrider, possibly hosted by a forum member? English wasn't his first language, the site covered most KZ years and models... the HP drop comment was in the little side note covering CSRs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More big plans. 13 Oct 2005 04:27 #1263

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
This one?

jarle.eltelevest.no/Kawasaki/Series/Z/650/z650.htm

Or
inline4.motorrijden.nl/default.htm

Or

www.zedder.com/

You might take a look in the Links section also.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2005/10/13 07:34
KD9JUR

More big plans. 13 Oct 2005 12:07 #1386

• Old-Skul
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Lil Eddy, is a hoot to ride. He's a 78 KZ650B with the "big" brakes from a 79 KZ650SR. Braided steel lines, Wiseco 700CC, Web Cams, 29MM Mikuni's and Pods. All topped off with Eddie Lawson Replica paint.

I can keep up with modern 600s in the twisty's. It's fun to see a guy dragging their knees and checking their mirrors thinking "what is that thing?". I've never dragged knee on Lil Ed but the footpegs touch easily with GT501 tires. The N. Ga mountains are alot fun on the bike.

80 HP at the tire is actually closer to 30-35 HP over stock. The big change to my bike was the cams. Allowing the bike to breath much higher in the rev range. Kawasaki had a drag bike when the bike was new that pulled 12K and I routinely see 11K on mine with an occasional 11.5K.

In regards to your 82CSR, I'm sorry to say I think it's one of the bigger heavier models. So if your interested in performance, you might want to look at removing stuff that's not needed. Lower handlebars look great and improve handling Chopped down fenders can save some weight. The CSR might also have a slightly raked front end (I'm not sure), but raising the tubes in the triple clamps abount an inch might help handling. If you do this make adjustments 2mm at a time and test ride the bike so that you don't get caught out with a huge handling change.

More big plans. 13 Oct 2005 12:37 #1408

• nfswift
  • User
The first link Steell, and here is the quote directly from the description.

"The Z650 H1-H3 (CSR) WAS a US hybrid model with a little less power, chopper styling and wire-spoke wheels."

and

"Maximum horsepower:
62 HP @8500 rpm (60Hp CSR, LTD*)"

And that bike does sound like a hoot Skul, it'd be awesome to give the plastic bikes a run for their money once in a while! Sounds nice, 11k must be screamin'

And indeed I think I may have a bit of the fat ass syndrome with my CSR, it weighs just over 460 lbs on an empty tank according to Clymer... we will see what measures I need to resort to to make it HAUL ass :laugh:

More big plans. 13 Oct 2005 13:21 #1419

• Old-Skul
  • User
The 60HP is actually at the crank, not at the tire. Your probably getting somewhere between 45 and 50 at the tire stock. But you've got lots to work with. The 16" rear wheel is supposed to improve handling. The SR model is supposed to handle better than the models with the 18" rears so that should carry over to your CSR bike.

The SRs also came with adjustable rear shocks that work much better than the stock other models. And better drilled dual discs. So if you have those you are again a step ahead.

More big plans. 13 Oct 2005 18:43 #1505

• nfswift
  • User
No dual discs here. But I do have those shocks I believe, they have initial adjustment and then dampening as well.

I WOULD hot rod the 650 a lot but after reading about the 750 and how it's frame is designed to handle the engine better (position, wheelbase etc.) I think I need to have some fun with this 650 and eventually move on to a 750 where I will drop the REAL money.

In the meantime, this 650 has no idea what it's getting in to :laugh:

More big plans. 22 Nov 2005 05:58 #9550

• 900cows
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
The bottom end on most kaws are almost indestructable. unless non oil changes,or lack of oil. KASAWAKI took a 1978 650SR to seca race track in japan for testing.(stock)They ran that bike for 24 hours straight,only stopping for fuel and rider change,That 24 hours was at redline the whole time. Only problem was chain wear. The SR was acouple of horse down compared to the kz650 because of exhaust change. It will handle a hundred horse easy,oil cooler a must. trans mods would be good insurance.

More big plans. 22 Nov 2005 11:25 #9628

• henrymski
  • User
olskul you must come across some pretty sorry riders of modern 600s if you can keep up with them! As much as I love my 650, there ain't no way it would keep up with something that has a more modern, better handling suspension and so much more power even if mine was ridden by a great rider. It's just not possible if the modern bike is ridden by someone with even half an idea of what they are doing. The spindly forks and flexi flier frame alone can't compete, and throw in a motor with at least 20hp more than your 80 and it's bye bye little eddy!

More big plans. 27 Nov 2005 17:28 #10521

• 900cows
  • User
Sraight line racing mister buster, frame stiffing is easy. I don,t think he meant road racing!

More big plans. 27 Nov 2005 17:43 #10524

• 900cows
  • User
sir, henrymski, a good set of dorp in cams will net. a person one second in the quarter mile, after jetting. Take a good running 600 cafe on the street with full tire pressure and, half wore out tire along side sticky, lower presure rear tire- just a little less horse-winner!!! quarter.. won,t have to jet to much after drop in.

• Page: