1979 KZ 650 SR first start after rebuilding carbs and replacing piston rings.

More
10 Jun 2024 01:45 #900543 by Echang
I bought this bike a couple months ago now, it was a non-runner and a definite fixer upper. I found out it had low compression and the carbs were full off inchworms, (no I'm not kidding.) I went ahead and replaced the rings, honed the cylinders replaced the coils, plugs and gaskets related to an upper-end rebuild as well as correct the valve shim clearances. My carbs are the VM24SS carbs.
Now I've got good spark, the valve shims have their clearance set right, and I believe I've got good compression since I've got fresh rings. I have synced my carbs with a piece of 20ga mechanics wire, and I set my air screw(s) to 1 1/4 turns, and the bike runs, just really rough. When I rebuilt the carbs I also leveled the floats using a clear tube through the drain plugs of the carbs. I don't want to leave the bike idling for a while to fiddle with it because I don't have my rings seated, at least I've been told to avoid that.

What steps should I take to get it running better? I'm going to verify the points gap, I know my timing chain is set right, but other than that I can't think of what else I should do, or what would be causing it to run so bad. Unfortunately the bike is running pods, I don't have the original airbox, but that shouldn't cause it to run rough, just be down on power a little bit, right? The carbs I'm running do not have a vacuum petcock so I don't have to worry about that. Any help would be appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.