Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ650B TOP END REFRESH 14 Sep 2023 23:37 #889390

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 665
I gotta agree with Nessism, just because you can see the original hone cross Hatch doesn't mean the bore is not glazed and the hone cross Hatch is not filled in.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650B TOP END REFRESH 15 Sep 2023 01:00 #889393

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1830
I tend to have a "foot in both camps" on this one. Yes to "glaze busting" (I like the dingle ball hones) and yes to absolute cleanliness to remove any grit from honing. I do think caution is required if using a "three stone" hone as these can take more than is required if you get carried away (IMHO)
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

KZ650B TOP END REFRESH 15 Sep 2023 16:25 #889424

• Injected
  • User
  • Thank you received: 425
I am a short drive from my local performance shop (cylinder heads/boring) so if I need a clean up hone its usually on the house.

He has a horizontal Sunnen hone so a 4 cylinder is only a 10 minute job for him. The oil he uses is quite acidic so he recommends rinsing within a day or two then wiping with fresh motor oil till assembly. He also has all the measuring tools so he always measures before honing, it only takes a few minutes to be sure you have "meat" :)

I have ball hones but its a lot of work compared to what the Sunnen can achieve. I use a manual hand drill and light oil with the ball hones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Last edit: by Injected. Reason: sp

KZ650B TOP END REFRESH 19 Sep 2023 22:56 #889558

• KZED650
  • KZED650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I have not tore into the engine. Still running great aside from the oil. Temps here are 18-20 C now as Fall sets in. The bike seems to really like this temperature as it is running better now than all season. Very smooth now with the chain sprockets and wheel bearings. 

Kills me to have to mess with it, but all things considered it is what is best. Ill order some new guides. I alreay have everything else. I havent run a comp test, but will next weekend. I have been restoring turntables constantly for two weeks. Thats my side gig....vintage audio gear. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb

• Page: