Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Advise for getting stripped, seized and in general completely fucked bolt out? 03 Jun 2023 05:39 #885550

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1807

Guess Jon left the building....

Rick H.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advise for getting stripped, seized and in general completely fucked bolt out? 03 Jun 2023 08:41 #885554

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
  • Thank you received: 223
That’s a shame. I always like to see how the bolt is removed because each case is just slightly a bit different than the next and will ultimately help us all.
Screwing up an old bolt is a nightmare so it’s best to take great care with it from the onset. Gorilla-ing it from the get-go and hoping for a good outcome almost never works. Avoid.
"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Advise for getting stripped, seized and in general completely fucked bolt out? 03 Jun 2023 15:43 #885568

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 255
I guess he found the answers he wanted.
or maybe the answers he didn't want

Scotty
Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Advise for getting stripped, seized and in general completely fucked bolt out? 08 Jun 2023 06:29 #885766

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
My last post about Jon leaving the building was being a bit sarcastic.  On many forums like this guys will come in with a problem asking for advice about this or that and receive several suggested "cures" only to never be heard from again until they have another issue.  I like to know from a learning standpoint if they fixed/corrected their problem and how they accomplished it.  When a complaint is resolved I can sometimes learn something from the process they used and perhaps use it myself down the road.  Just walking away from a post with no closure is bad form, but unfortunately happens a lot these days.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7, Scirocco, Wookie58

Advise for getting stripped, seized and in general completely fucked bolt out? 08 Jun 2023 14:07 #885786

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2680
I just received a set of VM28's for refurbishment, and ALL FOUR of the pilot air screws are seized SOLID.  I'm not looking forward to fighting with those stupid screws.  The screws themselves are brass and the head strips easily.  I've got them soaking in PB Blaster, and tonight I'll hit them with a torch, then more blaster.  I think LH drill bits are in my future...

Sorry, Jon, where ever you are!  I'll duck out of your thread now, in case you decide to come back...

Edit: got them out by drilling a hole in the center and pounding in a torx bit.  That gave me a reasonable amount of leverage to get the screws out.  Torx bit much less likely to shear off, compared to an EZ-out.

Last edit: by Nessism.

Advise for getting stripped, seized and in general completely fucked bolt out? 08 Jun 2023 15:10 #885791

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
Rick - My comment was meant the same way.  It's good to find out what solution worked, and there's a good chance we might learn a better way to fix the problem discussed.
"If you're not careful you may learn something every day"  Don't remember where that quote came from but it's good to keep an open mind.   

Scotty
Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1

Advise for getting stripped, seized and in general completely fucked bolt out? 19 Jun 2023 07:17 #886162

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
I like your phrase, "If you're not careful you may learn something everyday."  I think I may repeat that if you don't mind.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

Advise for getting stripped, seized and in general completely fucked bolt out? 19 Jun 2023 20:59 #886197

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
You're welcome to use it whenever you want Rick.  I didn't come up with it but I first heard it long ago, I don't remember where it's from.  Fits my view on life, though.   

Scotty
Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H.

• Page: