Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Valve adjustment Z650 B2 1978 02 Dec 2022 05:03 #877410

• dmax68
  • dmax68's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
hello, I am going to check the valve clearance and in the manual I read that the valve clearance must be adjusted between 0.08 and 0.18 mm.
But the manual doesn't make a difference between intake and exhaust valves, does this mean that both intake and exhaust should be adjusted between 0.08 and 0.18 mm?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by dmax68.

Valve adjustment Z650 B2 1978 02 Dec 2022 05:14 #877411

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
Yes, preferably towards 0.18, as clearance decreases over time.  Also, it doesn't damage anything if you're a bit more than 0.18.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Warren3200gt

Valve adjustment Z650 B2 1978 02 Dec 2022 05:21 #877412

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2674
The factory manual details how to position the cams before measuring, but in my opinion, it's not the best method.  For one thing, you need to fuss around with looking at the timing marks, which are easy to miss or overshoot when rotating the engine.  The below method is much easier to execute and provides more consistent measurements.

This is THE BEST method to adjust the valves.  It's the method in the factory manual for the later year big KZ's, and the GS Suzuki's, the engine of which is very similar to the KZ's only, arguably, more durable.

This method is dead easy to remember, and you don't need to look at the T and F marks on the timing plate.

1) Rotate engine until #1 exhaust cam lobe is pointing forward, parallel to the gasket surface, then measure #1 & #2 exhaust valves.
2) Rotate engine until #4 exhaust cam lobe is pointing forward.........................................................................#4 & #3 exhaust valves.
3) Rotate engine until #1 intake cam lobe is pointing straight up, perpendicular to the gasket surface, then measure #1 & #2 intake valves.
4) Rotate engine until #4 exhaust cam lobe is pointing straight up................................................................................#4 $ #3 intake valves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy, Mikaw, BobZ

Valve adjustment Z650 B2 1978 02 Dec 2022 22:20 #877440

• dmax68
  • User
but shouldn't the measurement be done at cylinder 1 and 3 and then at 2 and 4, when they are at the end of the compression?

Valve adjustment Z650 B2 1978 03 Dec 2022 04:45 #877443

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
If you've never done it before just follow the book and you will be fine.  The hard part is how to change a shim if needed.  
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Valve adjustment Z650 B2 1978 03 Dec 2022 04:53 #877444

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
  • Thank you received: 65

but shouldn't the measurement be done at cylinder 1 and 3 and then at 2 and 4, when they are at the end of the compression?

It has nothing to do with compression, or piston postion.   It is simply about getting the pointed lobe of the cam away from the bucket where exposes the clearance, and is conveniently positioned for sticking a gauge in between.

The book simply tells you following the crankshaft markings, because it is an easy position reference to follow.......w/out having to explain any further.

Valve adjustment Z650 B2 1978 03 Dec 2022 05:32 #877446

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
To measure valve clearance, the cam must be positioned on the base circle of the valve being checked.  There is a range of positions for engine rotation to achieve this. 

The method I mention above, again, from the KZ1000 manual, and applicable for all KZ bikes, specifies positioning the cams such that TWO ADJACENT valves are on the base circle at the same time.  This is important because if one valve is on the base circle, and the adjacent valve isn't, then the adjacent valve will be pushing the cam upwards, skewing it in the journal clearance.  If the journal clearance is .002" for example, the valve you are measuring may fool you into thinking you have more clearance than you actually do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

Valve adjustment Z650 B2 1978 03 Dec 2022 05:48 #877448

• dmax68
  • User
I understand, in this way the error for the assembly tolerances is also minimized.
I will check the valve clearance with this system and hope they are within tolerance.
As always, this forum is a mine of useful information.
Thank you.

Valve adjustment Z650 B2 1978 03 Dec 2022 07:13 #877449

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Is there a good how-to on KZR for actually swapping shims?  The FSM seems kinda vague in that regard. Thanks.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Valve adjustment Z650 B2 1978 03 Dec 2022 07:27 #877450

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member

Is there a good how-to on KZR for actually swapping shims?  The FSM seems kinda vague in that regard. Thanks.

Removing the cams to change shims is a major pain in the butt.  I've not seen a tutorial, although one would be very useful.  

Some guys use a mark on the cam chain and the cam sprocket itself, to show where the parts mate together.  This speeds reassembly.  And don't forget that the 550, later 650, and 750 bikes require loosening the cam chain tensioner before installing the valve cover.  Failing to do this will result in over tensioning the cam chain.
The following user(s) said Thank You: martin_csr

Valve adjustment Z650 B2 1978 03 Dec 2022 08:58 #877456

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
I have two 650 engines, both are 1978.  I converted one to shim over bucket.

Valve adjustment Z650 B2 1978 03 Dec 2022 09:35 #877457

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
If I have to change the shim size on the shim under bucket system. I pull one cam at a time. First I set the cams at 1/4 TDC like when you install them. Remove the top tensioner. Then I remove the cam caps. Instead of removing the cam, I roll the cam out of place over the buckets but keeping the camchain taut on the cam sprocket so the camchain does not come off the teeth on the crank. I keep the camchain play between the two cam sprockets as seen in photo below. Change your valve shim. Then roll the cam back in place while keeping the camchain taut on the cam sprocket and on the crank. Install cam caps, and top tensioner, reset camchain tensioner. Then rotate crank 720 degrees to check cam timing. I always recheck the clearance on the valves I changed the shims on. Thats it!!!!

Its a little harder to keep the camchain on the cam sprockets if your bike has the HY-VO style camchain. I have used this method since back in the '70's when I installed the shim under bucket set-up in my Kz1000 motors. 

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: martin_csr, Mikaw

Last edit: by Dr. Gamma.