Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Any advantage to longer oil cooler lines? 22 Nov 2022 11:23 #877078

• Wookie58
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 553

The longer hose will likely cause a drop in oil pressure where it's needed.  The oil pump has to push more oil with longer lines - and that will cause the oil pump more work and some of these older oil pumps struggle without an oil cooler to start with.

Will it actually cause low pressure or is it more likely and "crucially" that it will take "longer to build pressure" on start up and therefore starve the head and cams during start up - not ideal 
PS: just voicing an opinion and asking a genuine question - not trying to be argumentative (Jeff you know far more about these bikes than I do)
1982 KZ1000 Ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Wookie58.

Any advantage to longer oil cooler lines? 22 Nov 2022 11:30 #877080

• Nerdy
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 247

The longer hose will likely cause a drop in oil pressure where it's needed.  The oil pump has to push more oil with longer lines - and that will cause the oil pump more work and some of these older oil pumps struggle without an oil cooler to start with.

Thank you for the info. Do you recall if the 440 oil pump historically falls into the "struggle" category? If it does, then I should probably skip the cooler.

The engine has about 21K miles but I haven't had it apart. If a 440 oil pump in good condition can generally handle a cooler, then I'll plan to replace the pump and carry on.
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: