Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ650. Crossed wires and engine out of phase? 11 Nov 2022 12:50 #876660

• ShaneDude
  • ShaneDude's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 13

Id been having a problem with my KZ650. Backfiring and pipes 1 & 2 being cold. Turns out my brother, who was helping with the bike, mixed the cord order. it has dyntek coils and he had the left coil going to cylinders 1 and 2 and the right coil going to cylinders 2 and 4.

I corrected it and not the bike wont start properly. A friend said something about the bike now being "out of phase."
Does this sound logical, and how can i correct it?
First of all, be careful taking information from people on the internet that you don't trust.  They may trick you and cause your bike to blow up. 

Secondly, this post makes no sense.  You can't have two plug leads both going to cylinder 2.  Correct your information and then maybe someone can help you.

Thanks.
The guy at Dynatek told me that in order to correct the phase problem now that I have discovered the wires were incorrectly placed (I had them going 1 & 3 and 2 &4 when it should have been 1 & 4 and 2 & 3), he said to take the spark plug wire that is on #1 and put it on #2 and take the #2 and put it on #1. I hope that makes it clearer.

Thanks again for responding. Im sorry if I offended you the other day. I didnt mean to and youve always been helpful

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by ShaneDude.

KZ650. Crossed wires and engine out of phase? 11 Nov 2022 13:17 #876663

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 648
Screen shot from the kawasaki workshop wiring diagram. Note plugs are not numbered or in order.
As I said wiring diagrams are drawn for simplicity not positional accuracy. 
If you assume the points are positioned correctly on the left and right as viewed on the bike the black wire is for cylinders 1 & 4 and the green is for 2 & 3.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Attachments:

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

KZ650. Crossed wires and engine out of phase? 11 Nov 2022 13:31 #876665

• ShaneDude
  • User is blocked

Screen shot from the kawasaki workshop wiring diagram. Note plugs are not numbered or in order.
As I said wiring diagrams are drawn for simplicity not positional accuracy. 
If you assume the points are positioned correctly on the left and right as viewed on the bike the black wire is for cylinders 1 & 4 and the green is for 2 & 3

Ah OK thanks. BTW would the bike being out of phase make it hard to kick? I noticed a weird kind of resistance when kicking it, that I never experienced before. Before it was fluid and now there was this abrupt BUMP when I kick it that forces me to stop for a second. That has NEVER happened before.

KZ650. Crossed wires and engine out of phase? 11 Nov 2022 13:44 #876668

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 648
In theory It shouldn't make any difference to kick start resistance as the resistance is created by the mechanical compression and nothing to do with electrical spark. 
Having said that, if a cylinder is full of unburnt fuel at bdc and the plug sparks and ignites the fuel whilst you are trying to raise a piston by using the kick start the resistance will be increased and felt through the kick start as increased resistance. I've never tried it so am just guessing really. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

KZ650. Crossed wires and engine out of phase? 11 Nov 2022 15:36 #876669

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
Please follow these instructions...

Attachments:

KZ650. Crossed wires and engine out of phase? 11 Nov 2022 15:42 #876670

• ShaneDude
  • User is blocked

Thanks. Ive never touched any of the electrics so i think everything is in working order and doesnt need to be dithered with.

The only thing I did by accident is reverse the spark plug wire order. Hopefully, when I try the phase fix, things will go back to normal.  I was told to put 1 on 2, 2 on 1, and 3 on 4 and 4 on 3 to fix the phase problem.

KZ650. Crossed wires and engine out of phase? 11 Nov 2022 16:22 #876673

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member

Thanks. Ive never touched any of the electrics so i think everything is in working order and doesnt need to be dithered with.

The only thing I did by accident is reverse the spark plug wire order. Hopefully, when I try the phase fix, things will go back to normal.  I was told to put 1 on 2, 2 on 1, and 3 on 4 and 4 on 3 to fix the phase problem.
Dude, honestly, why don't you just look at this diagram and follow it?  You don't trust people, thinking they are going to rip you off, but you are willing to blindly listen to some guy on the phone that's never seen your bike and doesn't know how it's wired?  That makes no sense.  You need the BLACK wire fed coil to fire 1-4, and the GREEN wire fed coil to feed 2-3.  That dyna guy has no idea which feed your bike has, so his advice could be wrong.   

Last edit: by Nessism.

KZ650. Crossed wires and engine out of phase? 11 Nov 2022 16:47 #876675

• ShaneDude
  • User is blocked

Dude, honestly, why don't you just look at this diagram and follow it?  You don't trust people, thinking they are going to rip you off, but you are willing to blindly listen to some guy on the phone that's never seen your bike and doesn't know how it's wired?  That makes no sense.  You need the BLACK wire fed coil to fire 1-4, and the GREEN wire fed coil to feed 2-3.  That dyna guy has no idea which feed your bike has, so his advice could be wrong.   

Ive had the bike for a few years, with the dyna setup. Ran well for 4k miles.

1. In July i did a 150 mile trip on my bike. it ran like a champ
2. I parked it from July to early October
3. I noticed a while back, the valve seal on #1 is leaking. In October, after nearly 3 months of siting,  I noticed the bike was running funny. I looked at plug #1 and it was covered in oil. So I had a look and pulled  ALL the plugs and threw out the oily #1 plug and replaced it with an NGK new one....all the plugs are NGK and I had a spare.
4. When putting it all back together,  I reversed the order of the spark plugs wires and the bike ran like crap, backfiring and only two pipes got hot
5. Now I know the issue has to do with the plug order. It has nothing to do with  green wires or black wires or anything coming out of the Dyna S. Its been running great for YEARS and Ive never touched it. In that regard, the diagram you linked is not important and I dont need to fiddle with anything but the spark plug wires. Youre overcomplicating things and Im not about to be confused. Its simple. Tomorrow I will do what needs doing on the wire order and Im sure all will go well.

Thanks for your advice though. Other ppl can refer to it in the future. Its helpful.

KZ650. Crossed wires and engine out of phase? 11 Nov 2022 16:59 #876676

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member

In summary, you refuse to follow a simple wiring diagram.  I now understand why you don't "trust" people on internet forums!  Your logic stream is upside down.

Blindly following the Dyna guys suggestion has a 50-50 chance of working.  Just realize, there is a difference between learning and assuring 100% success, vs blindly guessing.

Last edit: by Nessism.

KZ650. Crossed wires and engine out of phase? 11 Nov 2022 17:12 #876677

• ShaneDude
  • User is blocked

In summary, you refuse to follow a simple wiring diagram.  I now understand why you don't "trust" people on internet forums!  Your logic stream is upside down.

My issue is the spark plug wire order and ive said that enough times for you to understand that. I dont need a full diagram of the Dyna S and the coils. The bike has been properly wired with the Dyna S and coils since the previous owner put it in 5 years ago.

The bike has 15k miles. When I got it it had 11K . for nearly 4k miles the bike ran well until I accidently reversed the spark plug wire order when changing the plugs.
Why you dont understand that when Ive already said it, I dont quite understand. But Im not responding again. Tomorrow I put the wires where they need to be and thats that.  Thanks.

KZ650. Crossed wires and engine out of phase? 11 Nov 2022 17:25 #876678

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843
Remember he said he was 100% sure it was the carbs. This is the 5 post about the same BS problem. I’m calling BullSh#t. Just 2 days ago he claimed it was plugs 1&2 that were cold. I think you have used up your free advice. 

EDIT, Maybe he got shocked too much by pulling the plug wires off a running engine. What he said that couldn’t happen. Just like all th advice he’s been given can’t help him.

EDIT2 he’s got me confused it was 3&4 that were cold.

Copy and paste: Ugh.

Took the carbs off, cleaned them and still pipes 3 and 4 are cold. Spark plug wires are new, as are the boots. 
I tested the dynacoil and got good readings. A friend said that coils can still fail even when you test them. Has this ever happened to anyone? Bike is a 1977 KZ650 Kawasaki.

Mods???
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Gamma

Last edit: by Mikaw.

KZ650. Crossed wires and engine out of phase? 11 Nov 2022 17:30 #876679

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Attachments: