Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Adjustable Camshaft Sprockets 14 Jun 2022 15:00 #868794

• daveo
  • daveo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 632
Seeking advice for using adjustable sprockets with 1984 ZX1100A two-bolt camshafts:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Adjustable Camshaft Sprockets 14 Jun 2022 15:13 #868796

• Nebr_Rex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 298
What do you want to know?

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

Adjustable Camshaft Sprockets 14 Jun 2022 15:53 #868798

• daveo
  • Premium Member
What potential gains are attainable by using them in place ot the original stock sprockets, and are the gains (minor or significant) worth the setup effort involved for a bike used exclusively on the road?

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

Last edit: by daveo.

Adjustable Camshaft Sprockets 14 Jun 2022 17:13 #868805

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
You can adjust your IN and EX cam independently of each other to compensate cam chain strech or advance/retard the cam lobe spread to dail more low end tourqe or high end power.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Adjustable Camshaft Sprockets 14 Jun 2022 23:08 #868818

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1463
Worth doing even on a stock bike and more so on one that's had work.
Cam timing is rarely spot on the design spec from the factory due to manufacturing tolerances and if they stack up the wrong way you end up with a slighly slower machine off the shop floor.
Degreeing the cams can find some missing power , perk the bike up and also compensate for camchain wear etc as Scirocco has already mentioned.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo, Mikaw

Last edit: by zed1015.

Adjustable Camshaft Sprockets 16 Jun 2022 09:48 #868906

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
Something else to consider: while you are re-timing the cams check that the factory ignition TDC mark is accurate.  I have found 2 degrees retarded for the TDC mark on the factory advancer. Not much, but it made a noticeable difference once I corrected to actual TDC.

Adjustable Camshaft Sprockets 16 Jun 2022 11:49 #868909

• daveo
  • Premium Member

Something else to consider: while you are re-timing the cams check that the factory ignition TDC mark is accurate.  I have found 2 degrees retarded for the TDC mark on the factory advancer. Not much, but it made a noticeable difference once I corrected to actual TDC.

The stock ignition was removed for a Dynatek 2000 in 2013.  

I'm not aware of similar accuracy issues with the Dyna system, but good to double check.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

Last edit: by daveo.

Adjustable Camshaft Sprockets 16 Jun 2022 12:55 #868914

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1463

I'm not aware of similar accuracy issues with the Dyna system, but good to double check.

It's the marks on the ATD (ADVANCER) in relation to the crankcase that can be off.
This would affect any ignition regardless of quality that retained those components.
For degreeing the cams though you would establish true TDC via the degree disc and piston stops and done correctly the timing would be accurate no matter whether the factory T mark lined up on the cases exactly or not. 
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: by zed1015.

Adjustable Camshaft Sprockets 16 Jun 2022 13:26 #868915

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member

It's the marks on the ATD (ADVANCER) in relation to the crankcase that can be off.
This would affect any ignition regardless of quality that retained those components.
For degreeing the cams though you would establish true TDC via the degree disc and piston stops and done correctly the timing would be accurate no matter whether the factory T mark lined up on the cases exactly or not. 

Exactly. the factory is even aware of this and 3 degree swing is in their acceptable margin of error in ignition timing. Once you establish TDC for the cams. its easy to reset the ignition timing and if you like scribe a mark on the advancer to true TDC - thats what i did. advancing the timing just 2 degrees made the engine a little snappier for me. Ive actually wondered why Dyna doesn't get rid of the advancer entirely and control advance via electronics like some other ignition systems do.

this is the stock iginition curve for KZ1000J/K/M not sure what model  you have 

Attachments:

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

Adjustable Camshaft Sprockets 16 Jun 2022 19:29 #868941

• daveo
  • Premium Member
The Dyna 2000 advance is electronic, and it is adjustable at the ignition module.  See Dynatek 2000 factory programmed curve graph found on page 10 of the link below:

www.randakks.com/documents/Dyna%20DDK1-5...2%20Instructions.pdf

1982 KZ1100-A2

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

Adjustable Camshaft Sprockets 16 Jun 2022 20:48 #868947

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
I stand corrected. I assumed the 2000 piggy backed on the stock advancer like the dyna-s. Have you played around with the different curves? If you end up timing your cams I’d be interested to see where the tdc mark aligns. 

Adjustable Camshaft Sprockets 17 Jun 2022 04:19 #868959

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1783
Hi All, happy to stand corrected on this point but I have seen many posts about "degreeing" cams on a range of forums and chat boards however there is something that never seems to get mentioned. whether talking about "true TDC" for pistons or "full lift" on cams - in both cases there is approx 10 degrees of rotation as the cam lobe or crank journal goes "over centre" at which point the valve or piston is "static" . To be 100% accurate the timing should be based on the centre of this "dwell" period.
In the case of "hot" cams (my experience is with cars) the timing data provided is based on "full lift" EG: intake 110 degrees ATDC. If you don't base this on the centre of the "dwell" you could be 5 or 6 degrees out on the cam. Given that cams turn at half engine speed that would be 10 to 12 degrees out on the relationship between the cam and the crank. Depending on how radical your cam spec is this can be enough to cause some "mechanical love making" - IMHO
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghostdive

• Page: