• Page:

TOPIC:

Kick start lever question 18 Sep 2021 20:42 #855464

• DOHC
  • DOHC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 494
I put what I thought was a KZ1000 kickstart on my Z1R.  The Z1R comes with an emergency lever under the seat, but it doesn’t have a pivot so you can’t fold it up and leave it on.  The level have came from ebay, so who knows what model it really came from.  I was getting some other parts powder coated, so I had it done in black.

Here is my question.  Is the lever supposed to stick out like this?  Does it do that on other KZ1000s?  

That's the resting position, but it does move in a bit more when you push it.  It’s not terrible when riding, but I can definitely feel it resting against my leg, and I’d be happier if it was closer to the carbs.  And the curve in the lever away from the motor doesn't really seem appropriate.

Did I end up with a lever from a different model?  Other than not really folding away, it fits on the engine fine and works fine.

Before I did all the work on the intake parts it would often stall and didn’t want to start with the electric start, but would usually start with a quick kick.  So it was pretty important to have the lever.  But now that it’s running really well I probably should just take it off.
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by DOHC.

Kick start lever question 19 Sep 2021 04:45 #855467

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
It should fold in fairly tight to #4 carb.  
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Kick start lever question 19 Sep 2021 05:20 #855468

• urankjj
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 192
HRM is correct. That one looks a bit twisted. Here is mine.  (that's a live oak leaf sitting on the pivot).
Attachments:

Kick start lever question 19 Sep 2021 06:56 #855469

• kzstreetfighter71
  • User
  • Atlantic West Coast
  • Thank you received: 250
I have an original kz1000 one kicking about you can have it if you want it?
06 Gsf 1200 bandit, 08 Triumph tiger 1010
05 Yam xv1700 , 02 Hon shadow 1100
1975 Z1 (currently working on)
1977 Z1000 ( running and in storage)
1978 Z1000 (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "skinny tank" (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "fat tank (gathering parts)
1979 z1000st (currently working on)

Last edit: by kzstreetfighter71.

Kick start lever question 19 Sep 2021 09:54 #855473

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599

I put what I thought was a KZ1000 kickstart on my Z1R.  The Z1R comes with an emergency lever under the seat, but it doesn’t have a pivot so you can’t fold it up and leave it on.  The level have came from ebay, so who knows what model it really came from.  I was getting some other parts powder coated, so I had it done in black.

Here is my question.  Is the lever supposed to stick out like this?  Does it do that on other KZ1000s?  

That's the resting position, but it does move in a bit more when you push it.  It’s not terrible when riding, but I can definitely feel it resting against my leg, and I’d be happier if it was closer to the carbs.  And the curve in the lever away from the motor doesn't really seem appropriate.

Did I end up with a lever from a different model?  Other than not really folding away, it fits on the engine fine and works fine.

Before I did all the work on the intake parts it would often stall and didn’t want to start with the electric start, but would usually start with a quick kick.  So it was pretty important to have the lever.  But now that it’s running really well I probably should just take it off. 
Looks heavier than stock. Sure it's not from a twin? Mine is 40+ years old and hits the #4 carb. Planning on buying a new one from z1parts.net when I can. I'd take the offer posted if he still has it. Kick starter has saved my ass more times I can count in 40+ years. 
Steve

Kick start lever question 19 Sep 2021 12:14 #855482

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843
From my research it appears you have an early Kz900 lever. No proof other then what I read in a book by Stefan Oehl. I have a similar one on my ‘78  B3 1000. It sticks out about 2” to center line from the side of the carb body. I have never hit it or felt it while riding. 

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Mikaw.

Kick start lever question 19 Sep 2021 19:11 #855499

• BCScott
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Mine fits very snugly and doesn't have the slight bend that yours does. It's definitely the original one from my KZ1000A1  
Back in the saddle and loving it! KZ1000A1
Attachments:

Kick start lever question 19 Sep 2021 19:19 #855502

• DOHC
  • DOHC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 494

From my research it appears you have an early Kz900 lever. 

I have a similar one on my ‘78  B3 1000.

Mikaw, I don't see the early kz900 kink in mine, but your KZ1000 looks pretty much exactly like mine.  No way it could move far enough in to touch the carb body.

I have a second one, also from Ebay.  The shape and bend in the arm is pretty much the same, but the stop on the pivot is a bit different and it can rotate slightly more than the black one.  I put the chrome one on and it's just a bit closer, but still nowhere near touching the carb.  These photos are with me pushing it in as far as it will go.

I'm surprised by the way the arm bends away from the pivot/base, and then the pedal also is angled away.  I don't know why they would do that with the 1000, as the kick shaft if pretty far out already.

In the photo of BCScott's bike, that arm looks much straighter.  But it's hard to tell.  Here are some more pictures.

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
Attachments:

Last edit: by DOHC.

Kick start lever question 19 Sep 2021 20:10 #855506

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
Mine. Z1b

Attachments:

Kick start lever question 19 Sep 2021 20:52 #855508

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
The Kz900/ Kz1000 kickstarter get a bow to them from kicking over and over out of tune motors and from kicking over big bore and/or high compression motors. Don't think Kawasaki planned on many owners ever using their kickstarters. Over the years I have seen many kickstarters where the pivot arm was rusted in place from non-use!!!!! None of my Kz1000 motors ever had electric starters on them so I have always kickstarted them. Kickstarters that have been used a lot will show a nice gentle bend to the kickstart arm and/or the part you put your shoe on will not be perpendicular to the centerline of the bike. My motors always started in two or three kicks so I never really bent any kickstarter arms from repeated kickstarts!!!!!

My kickstarter only has 1 or 2 years of use on it. So it is about as straight as a brand new one!!!!!!

Notice there is no bend in the main kickstarter arm.

When the kickstarter is placed in the starting position, the piece you put your foot on to start motor should be perpendicular to the centerline of the bike.

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC, Mikaw

Last edit: by Dr. Gamma.
  • Page: