Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Gasket removal 13 Apr 2021 09:40 #846636

• beardking
  • beardking's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I am working with my nephew on this 95 KZ100P that he got as a basket case and we are working on reassembling the engine that the previous owner took apart for some unknown reason.  We are trying to get this old crankcase gasket off in order to install the new one, but I swear this stuff has become permanently chemically bonded with the surrounding aluminum.  Does anyone have an suggestions on how to get it off?  I've tried scraping it with a scraper, soaking it with acetone, heating it with a blow torch (and worrying that I'm going to do more damage to the case than I'd like to).  I'm pretty much to the point of praying to the engine gods that it'll just disappear, but I'm not really religious so I'm not thinking it will work very well.

Thanks in advance,
Beardking

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gasket removal 13 Apr 2021 12:20 #846639

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1021
I've had some success with Easy Off oven cleaner.  Also a lot of brushing with brass brushes.  You may want to try a chisel to get under the old gasket and lift it.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Gasket removal 13 Apr 2021 12:37 #846640

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1895
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationPaint stripper, Würth gasket remover and a ceramic kitchen hop scraper

Gasket removal 13 Apr 2021 17:21 #846649

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2672
Here is a thread on this same topic from 3 days ago that may help...
www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/615707-gr...r-the-gasket-surface

Gasket removal 13 Apr 2021 17:53 #846651

• Zilla
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 11
I’m doing that to my 86 KZP at the moment, I use a brass wheel in my drill and run over the gasket just enough to scratch it up ( taking off that slick shine) then I use goof off with acetone and plastic gasket scrapers and take it off a little at the time, it’s time consuming but I don’t want to risk putting scratches on the mating surface with the brass wheel. 
1986 KZ1000P
2005 Vmax

Gasket removal 15 Apr 2021 11:16 #846811

• beardking
  • User
Well, so far I've added the brass brush wheel and oven cleaner to the arsenal and still very little progress. I'm planning on running to the parts store today and see if I can get some auto paint stripper and maybe gasket remover in hopes of making some progress.

Gasket removal 15 Apr 2021 11:58 #846819

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
I would take the pistons off the rods! stuff rags real snug & tight into crankcase! Give yourself some more working room. The pistons need a cleaning anyway. They could use a glass bead. Clean the ring lands out of carbon.
And a good steady 70-80 CFM and a pile of 1/4" air grinders at up to 20,000 rpm's with plenty of 3M Scotch stuff!
These green nylon bristle wheels are nice and safe, they take off decals, pin stripes and adhesives of of car paint.
Plus I have plastic standard razor blades for your scrapers.
Let me at it! I can clean it! 

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Last edit: by z1kzonly.

Gasket removal 17 Apr 2021 23:14 #846963

• beardking
  • User

I would take the pistons off the rods! stuff rags real snug & tight into crankcase! Give yourself some more working room. The pistons need a cleaning anyway. They could use a glass bead. Clean the ring lands out of carbon.
And a good steady 70-80 CFM and a pile of 1/4" air grinders at up to 20,000 rpm's with plenty of 3M Scotch stuff!
These green nylon bristle wheels are nice and safe, they take off decals, pin stripes and adhesives of of car paint.
Plus I have plastic standard razor blades for your scrapers.
Let me at it! I can clean it! 

​​

Man, if you were closer is load this sucker up and being it to you and let you have all kinds of fun with it. It's even supply the beer.

It doesn't really help that it's a case of the blind leading the blind here. I've never rebuilt a bike from a couple of boxes of parts before, so both my nephew and I are learning this as we go. Unfortunately the going is REALLY slow right now. ​​

• Page: