Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Can anyone kindly ID this valve cover that I found today? 15 Apr 2021 09:46 #846804

• zed1015
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1456

Maybe the Liskas are usable with the narrow valve cover.

Yes! Liska use the early design idler bracket as it fits pretty much all styles of cover.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: z1kzonly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by zed1015.

Can anyone kindly ID this valve cover that I found today? 15 Apr 2021 11:03 #846810

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
Thanks Zed, I thought so. It's amazing how time flies when your getting older! Years ago, never thought about newer style parts in an early 900 engine. Plus I was going to machine up some of the flat blocks they sell to replace the rubbers, Was going to play with some (DELRIN) material instead of aluminum? But then again? 350° is not very high temp! For the top of cylinder head.  Delrin acetal resin is a crystalline resin with a melting point of 177°C (350°F) Aluminum it is! I just have a lot of delrin scrap stock, it's so easy to work with. Speaking of Liska, I was going to try and make idler cam chain gears with delrin in the center with new quality needle bearings I can get, one of these months or years. 
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Last edit: by z1kzonly.

Can anyone kindly ID this valve cover that I found today? 15 Apr 2021 11:53 #846816

• zed1015
  • Away
  • User
I make my own blocks using aluminium and the same for the idler centres.
Don't think i would trust Delrin or anything similar.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS

Attachments:

Last edit: by zed1015.

Can anyone kindly ID this valve cover that I found today? 15 Apr 2021 11:58 #846818

• katit
  • User
  • Thank you received: 48
Wow? Any disadvantage to running aluminum vs rubber? I wonder why they did it from factory?
I have hard time finding all those blocks but I have mini mill and lathe and I can totally make them myself.
78 KZ650B2A - resto in progress
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/615161...s-1978-kz650-project
Other bikes: 1978 BMW R100/7, 1978 Moto Guzzi T3, 2016 DRZ400s

Can anyone kindly ID this valve cover that I found today? 15 Apr 2021 12:12 #846820

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
Excellent Zed, I do recall seeing your post with these idler gears.
Zed would you care to divulge the thickness specs.? for the 4  top pieces?
Of course I can guess and estimate for them. I have a whole pile of used ones!
Maybe you should ad these items to your for sale carb parts! Light weight, easy to ship international, people can send you cores of chain gears.
I'm sure when built new, the factory rubber helped with any excessive noise and vibrations in the valve train.
Very cool stuff!
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Can anyone kindly ID this valve cover that I found today? 15 Apr 2021 12:16 #846822

• zed1015
  • Away
  • User
The rubber is just to give a bit of cushion and sound dampening to the cam chain system.
The solid alloy doesn't degrade like the rubber so is permanent and doesn't make any noticeable noise difference.
I also use modified Z650 tensioner bracket (MIDDLE in the pic) which has a larger roller than the Z9/1000 ( LEFT)  and readily takes a toothed idler which won't wear like the rubber roller does.
The only original rubber parts i use if the bottom roller and the small front guide.

Attachments: