Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Clutch repair failure 16 Sep 2020 08:26 #835160

• Nathanb
  • Nathanb's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Okay. I have a GPZ 550 h1. I replaced the clutch cable and bought a used clutch cable activator which seemed to be in the same condition as the one I took out. Still didn't work. So I replaced the clutch plates put it all back together still didn't work. Tried to adjust the clutch cable thinking it was that but I think it's something else the bike starts fine runs great but won't go into gear whatsoever. Does anybody have an answer to what my problem may be ? I am so frustrated.

I guess I should also mention when I put the basket over the friction plates with the springs I kept breaking them the bolts they would snap at like 3 lb foot-pounds did I maybe not tighten those down enough then why would they snap so easily I'm not sure which part try to fix again the activator arm assembly or the friction plate side hard to adjust the clutch to a proper adjustment but I put it in gear and it's still acts like it's a neutral. I don't know what to do and I need to do it now. Thanks if you have any suggestions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Nathanb.

Clutch repair failure 16 Sep 2020 08:27 #835161

• Nathanb
  • User
1982 GPZ 550 h1

Clutch repair failure 16 Sep 2020 15:02 #835183

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Regarding the clutch cable & clutch release adjustment. In what direction are you turning the clutch release adjusting screw? On some 80s models you're supposed to turn it counterclockwise first until hard to turn, then clockwise 1/4 or 1/2 turn. It's kind of counter-intuitive & some manuals are ambiguous as to the direction. My 1981 KZ650-CSR is counterclockwise first then 1/4 turn clockwise.

Clutch repair failure 17 Sep 2020 13:37 #835231

• Nathanb
  • User
Well I adjusted the cable for the actuator arm slipped out while putting it back together the first time by turning it the wrong way . You did the clutch plates clutch cable actuator arm and it's still slipping I am so frustrated I really wanted to get this bike running because I had one when I was a kid. I'm going to take it apart one more time and if I can't fix it I'm going to buy a new one . If you have any suggestions on why it might be slipping let me know period and thank you for your help.

Clutch repair failure 17 Sep 2020 16:13 #835239

• VTEC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
You said it's slipping and won't go into gear. Slipping meaning it goes into gear running, but the wheel doesn't spin (or the engine revs high and you don't go anywhere)? Or is the problem you can't get it into 1st gear while the engine is running.?
KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nathanb

Clutch repair failure 17 Sep 2020 19:44 #835249

• Nathanb
  • User
Okay my actuator arm was worn so I guess when I put it in and tried to adjust it it popped out therefore my clutch never engages but I fixed that problem and the wheel is turning now but it's still slipping but at least I can run ride it now no wheelies I put a new clutch plates new springs the actuator arms worn but it's not engaging completely I don't know what the problem is . Could the basket be not tight enough I don't know.

Clutch repair failure 17 Sep 2020 19:48 #835250

• Nathanb
  • User
Oh and yes the motor would run I put it in gear but the wheel wouldn't turn but I fixed that to the point where it's just slipping now before it wouldn't even go into gear or it wouldn't turn the wheel wouldn't turn but now it's just slipping really bad it could be the push run or the basket not tight enough I don't know

Clutch repair failure 18 Sep 2020 06:22 #835256

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2053
Did you find out why the bolts were breaking? Did you get them properly tightened?
Are you sure the actuator was properly oriented before hooking the cable to it?
Did you follow the factory cable adjustment exactly? With a factory style cable, there are three adjustments that must be done in the proper order.
Are you sure you have the proper number of clutch plates installed?
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nathanb

Clutch repair failure 18 Sep 2020 09:09 #835275

• Nathanb
  • User
No I didn't find out why the bolts were breaking I replaced them with zinc bolts cuz I couldn't find any stainless steel ones and I tightened them as much as I could before I thought the snap again but no I couldn't get the proper torque which the book says 90-in pounds which would be seven and a half foot pounds correct.

I believe there were seven plates with six separators.. but I will double check when I tear it apart again.

And yes I bought a brand new cable that is factory and I did do all the right all three of the sequences in proper order. I'm afraid to turn the bolt at the bottom of the casing or it's pretty warm but I adjusted the clutch cable to the best of my knowledge in the proper sequence.. the adjustment in the middle is halfway out maybe I should turn it a little more and I don't know. It's just not getting enough pressure at the plates. I didn't go any deeper than the basket.. could it be something beyond the basket.

Last edit: by Nathanb. Reason: Correction on the torque settings 90 ft lb equals 7 and 1/2 in pounds correct.

Clutch repair failure 18 Sep 2020 09:15 #835276

• Nathanb
  • User
I meant to say on the torque settings 90 ft lb equals seven and a half inch pounds.. I wrote it backwards on the last post. Thank you

Clutch repair failure 18 Sep 2020 09:26 #835278

• Highway Magician
  • User
  • Thank you received: 34

Nathanb wrote: I meant to say on the torque settings 90 ft lb equals seven and a half inch pounds.. I wrote it backwards on the last post. Thank you

??? No, it doesn't.
Motorcycle builder since 1973. Master Tech. Current bike: 1982 GPZ1100B2.

Clutch repair failure 18 Sep 2020 09:29 #835279

• Nathanb
  • User
Well correct me then please.