• Page:

TOPIC:

Oil pressure switch 12 Jul 2020 13:12 #830471

• willemZ900
  • willemZ900's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Z1B 4 ever
  • Thank you received: 51
Now replaced my oil pressure switch for the second time in 40 years, not surprising you might think. The thing just makes the red oil pressure light come on. But I took a good look at the two old switches and I wonder what is the matter with them because they seem to work well.
My question is whether someone knows whether the spring in it is sometimes the problem, is this a bi-metal spring or does the switch work purely on the oil pressure?
If that is the case, a good brushing might also be enough to let the lid function normally again.
-The first valve stuttered at idle and the second valve stuck when the engine was driven hot and restarted, a large dot of gas fixed that, but then no longer driven until the new one was in. In both cases the problem was solved immediately with a new one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Oil pressure switch 12 Jul 2020 14:24 #830480

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
The KZ900 oil pressure Switch is a bullet proof part. I am runnig my pressure switch since the engine was build in 1975.
A bi-metal spring is temperature related and not built into the Oil pressure Switch.
You have to check the real oil pressure with an oil pressure gauge to verify your oil pump works correct.

Wait for the Service Bulletins...
Attachments:

Oil pressure switch 12 Jul 2020 14:35 #830482

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
Here comes the Kawasaki Z1 and KZ900 Service Bulletins about the oil pressure switch.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: martin_csr

Oil pressure switch 13 Jul 2020 02:35 #830529

• willemZ900
  • User
  • Z1B 4 ever
Thanks for the service bulletins and information Scirocco.
I am gonna check the oilpump, i already measured the pressure with a gauge and thats ok.

Oil pressure switch 13 Jul 2020 05:13 #830534

• hardrockminer
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
I recently had a problem with the light coming on with one of my Z1B's with a newly rebuilt engine. My first check was the switch, (because it's easy to check) which I changed out to one from my KZ1000. The light was still coming on. I thought it might be the oil pump strainer so I dropped the pan and found what you can see on the photo. Looks like a kim towel that I must have left in the engine during the rebuild. I cleaned the strainer and replaced the pan and all was good.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
Attachments:

Oil pressure switch 13 Jul 2020 13:00 #830578

• willemZ900
  • User
  • Z1B 4 ever
Wauw, thats a hell of a towel :huh: . Today a did a several hours tour and copy the situation from my last ride when the light stayed on after starting my bike with a hot engine. And now , with the new switch the light works completely normal B) So i decided to wait removing the oilpan but if the problem occors again , thats my firs action.
Thanks for all the replies and greetings from a sunny Holland.

Oil pressure switch 13 Jul 2020 14:10 #830586

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598
The spring gets sloppy not letting good contact.
Steve

www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/612057-kz...gauge-mystery#816550

• Page: