Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

oil level too high but correct oil amount 11 Jul 2020 08:59 #830368

• chrisM
  • chrisM's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi everyone,

I did an oil change (+ filter change) while waiting for my tank sealant to dry. "3.7 liters" is what is written next to the oil cap. I put exactly 3.7 liters in. Drove it around for 60 miles or so, then put it on the center stand and the oil fills up the whole window - above the "max" --> I drained a little oil out from the plug, but the level remains above "max"

Does anyone know why this would be happening? Or what I should do? Should I drain more oil?

I know that if you don't replace the filter, it sometimes takes less oil, because the filter is saturated rather than dry., but I DID replace the filter...

The only thing I can think of is that I didn't run the engine before draining the oil (tank and carbs were off), but it was 95-100 degrees out and the oil poured right out. I also let the pan sit for 20mins underneath and let it drip...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

oil level too high but correct oil amount 11 Jul 2020 11:30 #830376

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
Are you sure you put real 3.7 metric Liter into the engine? It could be a metric Liter/cubic Inch volume ratio missmatch.

oil level too high but correct oil amount 11 Jul 2020 12:04 #830379

• cb900f
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30
What kind of bike are you referring too? Does it have an oil cooler - sometimes it takes a bit longer to do an oil change as it can take a while for the cooler do drain (if it drains at all).

Also not sure where you are.... If you used 3.7 Imperial quarts that would put 1/2 liter too much oil in. If you're in the US, on the other hand, 3.7 US quarts, would leave you 0.2 liters short - so I don't that that's what happened.

oil level too high but correct oil amount 11 Jul 2020 12:23 #830383

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 335
I've done that before.
With your 3.7 liters I would have put in 3.2 liters
Fire it up on the center stand. Let it warm up. Cool down for 30 min to allow drainage back to the sump.
Check level and top off to correct level.
Or you could measure or weigh the oil you removed and match that.
People do that with fork oil replacement. Provided the right amount was in the forks to begin with.
81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY

oil level too high but correct oil amount 11 Jul 2020 12:23 #830384

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Assuming you KZ is like my KZ650 I suggest you pay attention to the amount of oil shown in the oil sight glass rather than using quarts, liters, or other measures to determine the correct amount of oil. Put in enough oil to bring the level up to the upper mark next to the glass. Let the bike sit for a little while, the check again. Add oil only if the oil level is below the upper line. This is how I have done my 1977 KZ650-C1 since the day it was new (43 years) and I've had no problems. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. E

oil level too high but correct oil amount 11 Jul 2020 15:50 #830395

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 362
Does the manual tell you to check the oil while the bike is on the center stand?

I've always checked oil with both tires on the ground. It seems like having the back of the bike elevated like that would give an incorrect reading in the sight glass.
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

oil level too high but correct oil amount 11 Jul 2020 16:38 #830400

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 335
dealer's choice

81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. E, Nerdy

oil level too high but correct oil amount 11 Jul 2020 16:40 #830402

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
I always check the KZ650 oil level with the bike on the center stand. That's the way the KZ650 Kawasaki Service Manual and the KZ650 Owners Manual specify it to be done. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. E, Nerdy

Last edit: by 650ed.

oil level too high but correct oil amount 11 Jul 2020 18:23 #830411

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
Factory manual for the 750/4 bikes says to use the center stand.

I like to check when the engine is cold because that way you know all the oil has drained back. Oil expands when hot so it may be over the window after a ride if it's normally at the top of the window when cold.

Last edit: by Nessism.

oil level too high but correct oil amount 12 Jul 2020 00:22 #830433

• cb900f
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30

Nessism wrote: I like to check when the engine is cold because that way you know all the oil has drained back. Oil expands when hot so it may be over the window after a ride if it's normally at the top of the window when cold.

Unlikely for oil to appear at a higher level on a hot engine compared with a cold one (where all the oil galleries have drained back into the sump) unless the motor galleries drain extremely quickly. Some MFRs specify measuring the oil level after the motor has run a few minutes (from cold) to ensure oil is loaded into the motor's galleries and oil cooler (if applicable). On these motors the oil level appears too high if measured cold without circulating first. The owner's manual should specify the correct procedure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

oil level too high but correct oil amount 12 Jul 2020 00:58 #830435

• kevski
  • User
  • Thank you received: 154
The manuals say perpendicular to the ground suggesting the front wheel needs to be raised a little as if the machine is on both wheels, but that said if the whole window is covered there is way to much oil in the engine whether perpendicular or not, my suggestion is get the machine upright and perpendicular drain off the oil and refill it so the oil is between the two marks, probably just a schoolboy error going on here.

oil level too high but correct oil amount 12 Jul 2020 04:59 #830439

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 622
Things and people were less anal complicated in the 70's and 80's.

:)
1982 KZ1100-A2

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism