Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Clicking From Engine Pulley? 23 Jun 2020 19:26 #828804

• ERIK814
  • ERIK814's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Engine pulley started to make a clicking noise when rotating after a long ride this last weekend with pillion & luggage. First I thought it might be the belt not catching the pulley right due to gunk, so I cleaned the belt with mild soap and water. After that didn't work, I loosened / tightened the belt, and tried to rear alignment to either side to see if it was an alignment or tension issue but no luck. I took the pulley cover off and think that maybe it is the pulley itself that is clicking. Before I take off the belt entirely to confirm it's not the belt, I wanted to check to see if anyone had any ideas. Here is a video of the clicking:
photos.app.goo.gl/QR5EaDdZ1yW9cBb76

Thanks all!
1981 KZ 440 LTD Belt Drive (Late Model)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Clicking From Engine Pulley? 24 Jun 2020 02:38 #828816

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
Sounds like the main bearing of the output shaft is shot. Part# 92045

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ERIK814

Clicking From Engine Pulley? 24 Jun 2020 13:54 #828899

• ERIK814
  • User
Yikes! That seems deep in there. From what I can tell, the engine will need to be taken off the bike and the case split to replace the output shaft drive bearing...

Is it possible to keep riding on it with a spent bearing? Has anyone been able to replace the bearing without splitting the engine? I'm trying to figure out if this is even worth trying to fix. I don't have a ton of space to work on this and as a very novice mechanic I'm worried I may be in over my head.

Last edit: by ERIK814.

Clicking From Engine Pulley? 25 Jun 2020 08:42 #828957

• VTEC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
Looks like you can pull the sprocket, pop out the output shaft seal, and get a direct view of the bearing balls. Then rotate to confirm that's the problem.
KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R

Clicking From Engine Pulley? 25 Jun 2020 10:25 #828961

• ERIK814
  • User
I'll give that a try - thanks for the tip! This will require me to take the belt off, so at least that will help me confirm it's not the belt!

Clicking From Engine Pulley? 29 Jun 2020 19:50 #829403

• ERIK814
  • User
I took the rear tire off / loosened the belt and the no sound at all when rotating the pulley. It felt smooth, no sign of leaky oil or anything. I noticed that when I pushed hard on the pulley toward the rear wheel to simulate belt tension, there was a slight clicking when rotating he pulley!

I tried to tighten the pulley bolt and I think the nut may have rotate rotated slightly, but it is difficult to confirm because I don't have a holder. I tried to push on the pulley and rotate it after attempting to tighten it and I didn't hear anymore clicking. But when I got the belt back on and set the tension, the clicking came back.

Is it possible that a loose nut on the engine pulley could be the reason for the click? I'm 99% certain I was not able to tighten it to the 60+ lb-ft needed to be in spec. Or does this sound more like a damaged output shaft drive bearing?

Thank you in advanced for any help / advice!!

Last edit: by ERIK814.

Clicking From Engine Pulley? 30 Jun 2020 16:18 #829463

• VTEC
  • User
If the bolt was loose it certainly can cause the noise. Get a holder and torque to specs. Or maybe you can catch a tooth with a pry bar against something safe.

No help, pop the seal and look at the bearing.
KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R

Last edit: by VTEC.

Clicking From Engine Pulley? 09 Jul 2020 14:52 #830222

• ERIK814
  • User
I tried the 6th gear / rear brake trick and it worked! Girlfriend held the brake while I cranked with the torque wrench. Didn't seem to be an issue at all for the belt to hold. Got the nut to 61 lb.ft per spec and it definitely turned a little bit during the adjustment. No more sound from the pulley when rotating by hand, BUT I still need to ride it around a bit to confirm.

I'll provide an update if the issue comes back but for now it is solved! Thanks again everyone for your help.

Clicking From Engine Pulley? 09 Jul 2020 15:21 #830225

• VTEC
  • User
Is there a washer with locking tabs behind the nut? I know there was a recall in that time frame to add the washer and prevent the nut backing out.
KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R

Clicking From Engine Pulley? 09 Jul 2020 15:24 #830226

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
Can´t belive that re-torquing your pully would solve your clicking noise on a longer preiod, Arnie would say: "I´ll be back."

Clicking From Engine Pulley? 09 Jul 2020 15:55 #830227

• ERIK814
  • User
There is a washer with locking tabs behind the nut, but they obviously didn't stop the thing from coming loose or being able to be tightened again.

If you look closely at the image attached, the locking tabs are on the corner of the nut before I tightened it. After tightening the nut, the washer tabs lined up again with the edge of the nut. I probably should have squeezed them in more before putting the pulley cover back on. If the noise returns, I might do that or consider replacing the washer tab.
Attachments:

• Page: