Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1983 KZ440 Master Cylinder Rebuild 24 Mar 2020 05:17 #821562

• Grcko
  • Grcko's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30
I have an original master cylinder for this bike I am cleaning up. The piston seems good so I would like to remove it and the brake light switch so I can get it repainted. My question(s) are:
How do you pull the piston? I removed the plastic clip but have no idea on how to remove the piston. Manual says pull it out but how?
How do you remove the the brake light switch? It looks like it is just just pushed on but I am afraid to pull it out in fear of breaking it.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
As Always,

1983 KZ440

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1983 KZ440 Master Cylinder Rebuild 24 Mar 2020 05:33 #821564

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2673
The switch should have tabs on the side which you need to depress before pulling the switch out of the master casting. Regarding removal of the piston, the parts fishe shows a stopper part which has to come out first. I'm not sure what this part looks like but hopefully it's a snap ring type arrangement and not press fit into the bore. At any rate, that's what needs to come out.

www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...aster-cylinder-80-a1

1983 KZ440 Master Cylinder Rebuild 24 Mar 2020 05:38 #821565

• Grcko
  • User
I did remove that plastic snap ring but the only way I can see getting the piston out is to push it out from the other end. I am nervous about pushing on it and messing up the side I am pushing on.
I will look for the tabs on the switch and give it a try tonight.
As Always,

1983 KZ440

1983 KZ440 Master Cylinder Rebuild 24 Mar 2020 06:59 #821569

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
For the piston there's a rectangular hole on the underside >> you have to push in on a plastic tab. The plastic piston liner has 2 tabs, so you may have to do some maneuvering to release the upper tab. use something thin & flat to pry. Note: those tabs are fragile, so don't force it.

Remove the brake light switch in the same manner by pushing on a tab. It probably has a square hole.
I don't think you have to worry about the upper tab. The brake switch & piston liner can feel stuck from being grungy.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

1983 KZ440 Master Cylinder Rebuild 25 Mar 2020 05:02 #821681

• Grcko
  • User
Thanks for the info. The switch does have a tap that is pushed down through a square hole in the casing. Slid right out. The piston does slide out once the plastic keeper is removed. However there was some corrosion on the piston keeper that needed to be scraped off a bit. I put a few drops of Kroil on it and gently tapped it with a drift pin from the other side to break it loose. It then pulled right out.
As Always,

1983 KZ440

1983 KZ440 Master Cylinder Rebuild 25 Mar 2020 12:45 #821725

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2673
Be sure to carefully inspect the master bore for corrosion pitting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grcko

• Page: