Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Hydro clutch or pmc easy clutch kit? 16 Feb 2020 10:34 #819442

• Bulletkz
  • Bulletkz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 18
I am trying to decide on what to do about the clutch on my kz1000.
I did the basic take apart, clean and lubes and it is better than it was but I am used to riding mordern bikes.
I can pull the clutch lever on my ducati 1098s with 160 hp dry clutch with 1 finger.
I have a 92 zx7r clutch master and slave with stainless hose but I don't want to butcher the stock sprocket cover.
I went to order the the pmc easy clutch kit because it looks easier, but its been out of stock for months.
Has anyone swapped to a hydraulic clutch with the stock cover? How much trouble was it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hydro clutch or pmc easy clutch kit? 16 Feb 2020 12:25 #819449

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 276
Might not work on your bike but theres a guy on the turbo site that sells this kit . This is the company www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/con...NEAQYBCABEgLUNPD_BwE

www.google.com/search?q=www.magura.com+o...ECs&biw=1440&bih=787
Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bulletkz

Last edit: by riturbo.

Hydro clutch or pmc easy clutch kit? 16 Feb 2020 16:20 #819462

• Bulletkz
  • Bulletkz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 18
That's interesting. Looks cool too.
Anyone ever use one on a kz?

Hydro clutch or pmc easy clutch kit? 16 Feb 2020 20:48 #819472

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
  • Thank you received: 75
Both are nice. I got tired of cables so I got a set of zrx perches and mounted a hydra clutch. Z1 Larry did his as well. He said that he can't imagine any other way. To do the hydra clutch I got one from overseas, Les Holt can make you one. I tried to post a pic from my phone but it was too big so it didn't upload. A set of zrx perches is THE way to go to look low key oem IMO.
79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

Hydro clutch or pmc easy clutch kit? 17 Feb 2020 06:06 #819480

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843
AmericanClassix sells one. I have no experience with it but it claims to be a “kit”
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
Attachments:

Hydro clutch or pmc easy clutch kit? 17 Feb 2020 06:22 #819482

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
Here's my take on your question, I don't mind a cable clutch and in fact prefer them to hydraulics. I also didn't want to dramatically change the appearance of my '77 KZ-1000 so a hydraulic clutch was not an option for me. The hydraulic clutch kit discussed in this thread is $296.00 and they don't show a kit for my bike, while the PMC kit is about $120.00 and it is made for my bike. So the choice was a no brainer for me. The PMC kit comes with instructions, but they are in Japanese, but I figured out the install process. Actual time to install was probably an hour or less without the time to try and figure out the instructions. I also did not want to change the clutch lever or perch, I wanted the "stock" look. I had hoped the EZ-Pull clutch would lower the clutch lever effort, but I had no preconceived idea of how much it actually would lower that effort. As it turned out it lessened the effort a lot. Some say as much as 40%, but I can't give an actual amount however I was surprised and very pleased with the end result. I can't speak to any real riding time with the PMC kit yet, due to winter in my area, but I did get a few miles on the bike with it and it works great so far.

I ordered my PMC kit from Z-1 Enterprises on 12/29/19 and I think they had one or two more in stock. So they have been out of stock on these for about 4 to 6 weeks I would guess. Redline Cycle shows they sell them but I don't know if they are in stock. If the PMC kit is your choice I would call them and find out when they expect to get more in. They are great people to deal with. For me the decision was super easy, but there was some risk not knowing how the PMC kit would really work. Others on this forum have installed the PMC kit and like them a bunch also. In my case it works quite well and I may buy a "just in case" spare when they get them back in.
Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Hydro clutch or pmc easy clutch kit? 17 Feb 2020 07:22 #819484

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
I have owned my bike for 43 years and never considered the clutch difficult to pull in, so I'm amazed that folks would think they would need to switch to a hydraulic clutch to reduce the effort. It makes me wonder if the existing cable clutch components properly lubricated?

I'm sure that my opinion of hydraulic clutches is tainted by the fact that years ago I owned an Austin Healey 3000 that had one. The slave cylinder must have had some pitting because over time it would damage the piston seal. When this happened I had to sort of pump the clutch pedal in order to disengage the clutch. :laugh: Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Hydro clutch or pmc easy clutch kit? 17 Feb 2020 08:27 #819486

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
The 650 clutch pull mechanism is different than the 900/1000 bikes and the 650 has an easier pull. With the PMC kit my 900 is just as easy as my 650 now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Last edit: by baldy110.

Hydro clutch or pmc easy clutch kit? 17 Feb 2020 10:43 #819494

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
I have always been amazed with all the infatuation people have with changing over to a hydraulic clutch release on their KZ's. To me its like fixing something that is not broken!!!

If you use a REAL O.E.M. Kawasaki clutch cable and have it properly routed along with the '79/'80 style Kawasaki clutch release (13231-020) you should have no need for one of those fancy hydraulic clutch releases. I can't believe how most folks route their clutch cables on their bikes. Cables do not like tight radius bends. Nor being routed close to the exhaust pipes. I WOULD NOT USE ANYTHING BUT A O.E.M. KAWASAKI CLUTCH CABLE!!!! They are getting hard to find anymore, but more than worth their high price they bring today!!!! The aftermarket clutch cables I have seen are pure junk compared to the O.E.M. Kawasaki clutch cables!!!

I run the Z1r O.E.M. clutch cable (54011-070) properly lubed and routed on my Kz1000 along with the '79/'80 ball bearing clutch release (13231-020) but with some serious heavy duty clutch springs. And I only use two fingers to pull the clutch lever in!!!!! That old style white plastic clutch release is a joke compared to the late model ball bearing clutch release as far as a cause of heavy lever pull. Plus all the hydraulic clutch bikes I have ridden do not have that wide progressive engagement of a cable clutch setup.

The BEST clutch release Kawasaki ever put in their bikes!!!!
1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Dr. Gamma.

Hydro clutch or pmc easy clutch kit? 17 Feb 2020 15:35 #819508

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 276
Those pics I posted are my friends bike . He has Heavy duty clutch springs . I had some on my turbo and they pull pretty hard . Now two of my turbos have lock ups and my stock bike is stock and pretty easy to pull .

That 79/80 ball bearing clutch release looks like the way to go .
Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

Hydro clutch or pmc easy clutch kit? 18 Feb 2020 05:49 #819517

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
In all fairness I bought the EZ Pull clutch kit as an experiment. It wasn't due to any problem with clutch pull of the "stock" components, albeit nylon that they are, I just wanted to try something that worked better than plastic/nylon. The stock setup left a lot to be desired in my estimation and I had read about the later clutch mechanism part # 13231-020, but couldn't locate any, save for one on Fleabay at $200.00. So after Baldy110 wrote about his experience with the PMC kit I thought what the heck, give it a shot. Obviously my choice worked out for me, but in fairness if I could find a 13231-020 release and at a decent price I would probably try it just for a comparison. I am a big fan of trying to stay with OEM parts, but in this case I can't find the OEM part that's affordable so PMC is was.
Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Hydro clutch or pmc easy clutch kit? 18 Feb 2020 08:13 #819526

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
Dr. Gamma is correct the OEM ball bearing setup is the way to go. However I too was unable to find one new and used one's are crazy money. That's the reason I went with the PMC setup. I'd love to find a NOS 13231-020 at a reasonable price but ain't gonna happen.