Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Valves hitting pistons? 19 Jun 2006 16:19 #55557

• APE Jay
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 58
Scoot Jockey wrote:

Well supposedly the valves were cut down to stock size, so assuming the machine shop knew what they were doing that should work in my favor. I had the work done many years ago (this project took way too long). I'm not even sure Cope Racing is around anymore. I know their website no longer exists.

I still have the cam timing kit, so it should be easy to check the timing. I just have to watch the video and refresh my memory.

Thanks again for your feedback. All of this information has helped me think this problem thru...

Cope Racing has closed. Greg Cope is now the crew chief on Geno Scalis pro stock bike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Valves hitting pistons? 21 Jun 2006 13:30 #56059

• modprod
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Scoot Jockey wrote:

Hello everybody,

I have a 1976 KZ 900 A-4. I modified the engine as follows:

Replaced the stock cylinder block with a KZ 1000 block; had the cylinders bored and installed a 1075cc MTC piston kit. I then had the cylinder head worked on by replacing the valves, guides, springs, etc.
I started the engine for the first time yesterday and I heard a very loud clicking sound from the top of the engine.
I ran the engine twice, both time for about 30 seconds at idle. With the noise this loud I don't want to run it again until I know what the problem is. For all I know, I may have bent the valves already...:(
Any input would be appreciated.

"Scoot Jockey"
I'm am wondering about 1000 block on the 900 cases? Were the cases clearenced? Also I generally make sure the oil pump is primed if I've had it off and that I've made sure there is plenty of oil in the cam/bucket before I start them. With everything dry from the pump up it takes a few seconds to get oil flowing to the topend. Just a couple things to consider........mod

Post edited by: modprod, at: 2006/06/21 16:33

Valves hitting pistons? 21 Jun 2006 13:54 #56070

• Scoot Jockey
  • Scoot Jockey's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1976 KZ 900 A-4 & 1997 FLHRPI
  • Thank you received: 0
So far all I have been able to get to was to take the cam cover off and adjust the cam chain. I hope to do more on Saturday. I did notice there seemed to be plenty of oil up there since the assembly grease I used was diluted, so I think the oil pump is working okay.

The noise was coming from the top of the engine, so I don't think the cylinder block is to blame...but I'll keep that in mind as I look things over.

Valves hitting pistons? 21 Jun 2006 15:25 #56087

• BohicaBob
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 35
A single clicking sound or many clicking sounds?

Could you have one or more valves that are too tight in their guides?

Valves hitting pistons? 21 Jun 2006 15:49 #56092

• Scoot Jockey
  • Scoot Jockey's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1976 KZ 900 A-4 & 1997 FLHRPI
  • Thank you received: 0
Hmmm...I recall that it sounded like numerous clicks - almost a rattling. But it has been a few days now and I only heard the sound for about 30 seconds, so its hard to rememebr exactly what it sounded like. I hope to be able to start the engine tonight with the cam cover off after I check the cam timing.

Who knows, maybe I will get lucky and the sound will have gone away with the cam cover off and I will know for sure that it was the culprit all along.

As for the valves being too tight, well I was just hoping that the work was done right and they would have checked for that. I did pay them a lot of money, after all.

• Page: