TOPIC:

To hone or not to hone 17 Jun 2006 20:40 #55225

• hardr0ck68
  • hardr0ck68's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
  • Thank you received: 3
ok back from the fishing trip!

Not the reason i dont want to use my origional set of jugs is it has 3 or 4 deep gouges....that are oddly the same size as a flathead screwdriver i have lying around. Im thinking having them welded and surfaced will cost a bit (its costing my $100 for the head im using; which while in much better shape than mine also has a screwdriver gouge that cuts into the oil passage; this proves im not the first bonehead to really screw up my bike in this manner!!)

I have really been thinking about trying to change the rings if i can find usable ones; either std bore or i guess i could go a size over. Yeah this would put my project on a much longer timeline but at least i would know for damn sure the top end was fresh. Sigh.

I still may cheap out; i mean hell i will have 2 complete top ends in various conditions....i have to be able to peice SOMETHING useable togeather.
1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

To hone or not to hone 18 Jun 2006 21:04 #55418

• agawam
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Why would you take the trouble to tear it all down and not do it right, seems like a waste of time, You should read those imaginary books many of us have, one is called "might as well while I'm here" and the other is "while I'm at it" and be sure to read the chapters, "I wish I did the ___" , "what a mess" and "man that runs nice", or you could get listed in the "halfassed project registry"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: