Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

what size is my motor? 05 Jun 2006 18:43 #52380

• kzmarvo
  • kzmarvo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all, i am new to this forum and have a few question if anybody can help would appreciate it. I just bought a old kz 900 or 1000 but not sure which bike it is. I am waiting on the bike title and paper work before i can pick the bike up. The motor says 976cc does that make it a 900 or a 1000? the bike is a 76 or a 77 i think, the guy that i got it from repoed it and wasnt sure. All he knows is that it run good when he picked it up and it reads 7k on the odometer(dont think i spelled that right) The bike has a header on it and open air filters, is that good for power? I heard it was but havent really had alot of experience on older street bikes, i had a 80's kaw 1000 for a few months and all i did was ride it. Oh yeah i paid $800 for the bike and it looks like new except the header and the paint i dont think is original, did i pay to much or did i get a deal? Any help or opinion would be helpful, and are these bikes reliable?:blink: :blink:
Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

what size is my motor? 05 Jun 2006 18:52 #52383

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
You can bet that Kawasaki wouldn't round Down to 900 cc if the actual displacement is 976cc's...
Sounds like you got a pretty good deal to me. Take some photos.
Oh yeah, "odometer" is right, just looks funny.

what size is my motor? 05 Jun 2006 18:57 #52385

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
reliable if maintained.
require more maintenance than newer bikes.
deal? depends on where you are, how she looks, what she's got.

i gave $650 for my 77 but no maintenance had been done in about 10k miles, tires, chain, and sprockets were shot, and she had some clutch problems and a bad wheel bearing. She also has nice carbs, great bodywork, a title, and lotsa chrome. Almost done ;-)

tell us where you are and
post some photos!

Oh, motor size? I don't know the 900's
77 KZ1000 sez 1015 on the block
'J' motor sez 998 on the block and has no kickstart

Post edited by: Duck, at: 2006/06/05 22:05

what size is my motor? 05 Jun 2006 19:02 #52386

• kzmarvo
  • User
I am in the midwest(illinois) i wont have the bike for 2-3 weeks till the title gets back to the tow company i bought it from. Far as looks it looks real real nice dark green paint chrome is spotless and no pitts. the guy that runs the tow company said the guy never came back to pay what he owed on the bike so it has been sitting for about 4 months. I will get pictures on here the day i get it home so i have before and after photos. I plan on lowering and stretching the bike. All these kids today are all riding the new sport bikes, i cant wait to pull up on my old school rocket. Been wanting this style bike for a while now but never had one in reach.BTW does the 976 mean it is a 1000cc?
Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

what size is my motor? 05 Jun 2006 19:11 #52388

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
All I know with 976CC is Royal Enfield

My KZ1000A1, 1977, first year of the 1000 sez 1015CC on the block.
The later engines without the kickstart have 998CC on the block.

Don't know stock for the 900 for sure but think it's 903 on the block.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what shows up!

what size is my motor? 05 Jun 2006 19:17 #52389

• kzmarvo
  • User
Now you got me thinking if i looked wrong, could have swore it said 976cc I know it has a kick starter.

what size is my motor? 05 Jun 2006 19:37 #52395

• kzmarvo
  • User
Oh yeah, what kinda horsepower does the 900's and 1000's make? How much extra horsepower do you get running a header?

what size is my motor? 05 Jun 2006 19:48 #52397

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
kzmarvo wrote:

Oh yeah, what kinda horsepower does the 900's and 1000's make? How much extra horsepower do you get running a header?

The displacement is built into the cylinder casting at the lower-left front of the block from your perspective facing the bike pipes-on. If you look at the picture at the top of the page here, the narrow end of the triangular front motor mount practially points to it.

A '76 KZ900 will read 903cc, a '76-'77 KZ1000 will read 1015cc, same location.

A KZ900 is rated at 81hp, a KZ1000 82 or 83hp, depending on whose book you read. Factory sez 82...

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2006/06/05 22:50

what size is my motor? 05 Jun 2006 20:00 #52404

• Willo46
  • User
Pterosaur beat me to it. Exactly what the man said...

Post edited by: Willo46, at: 2006/06/05 23:01

what size is my motor? 05 Jun 2006 20:06 #52407

• kzmarvo
  • User
Front right side if you was sittin on the bike. See the thing is the bike has like a quarter inch of dust on it and i was wiping it all off and a guy that works there just looked down and yelled out 976cc to the woman that was doing the paper work on it, so i just looked down and assumed it said 976cc Did any kz's come 976cc? Cause im thinking we looked wrong and i am wasting your time.

what size is my motor? 05 Jun 2006 20:15 #52410

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
kzmarvo wrote:

Front right side if you was sittin on the bike.

Right.

...Did any kz's come 976cc?

Nope. If you got one that says "976" on the casting, better hide it before half this board hunts you down and offers you a Bob Uecker baseball card, two marbles and a frog for it...:evil:

BTW, welcome aboard..

what size is my motor? 05 Jun 2006 20:19 #52412

• kzmarvo
  • User
LOL ok so yeah i guess i looked wrong? Although if i had to put $ on it i could have swore it said 976cc. If i have the chance i am soooooo going back and get a better look tomorrow!

• Page: