Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Coughing, Sputtering, Hesitation. My mystery! 11 Apr 2006 19:45 #38825

• KawasakiJockey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
It is a carb issue. You are coming in on the mains and that cough and hesitation is a dead giveaway of it. Probably have a main jet obstructed some. You could probably get it to clear up by running the hell out of it at high rpm on the highway. Highway speeds in lower gears I should say. If the bike has sat for any time it might be this problem. Good luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Coughing, Sputtering, Hesitation. My mystery! 11 Apr 2006 20:14 #38847

• newbikekiller
  • newbikekiller's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
The P.O. just cleaned the carbs but I'll find out if thats the problem soon this weekend. The reason I think its jetting is because it has stock jets but a 4-1 exhaust.

Also I seriously ride the hell out of my bike, so any chance that this problem will fix itself is probably long gone :-)

Coughing, Sputtering, Hesitation. My mystery! 16 Apr 2006 19:38 #40047

• newbikekiller
  • newbikekiller's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Yikes!

Well I think it was the carbs afterall:

I checked the float bowls, and they were very dirty and crap was everywhere. So much for the PO cleaning the carbs.
It was running more and more poorly so I decided to open up the carbs. Man they are messed up. Junk everywhere and not a single seal could be safetly reused!

They need a full rebuild, and one of the carb bodies was JB welded at the top :whistle: . Also, I think one of the diaphrams is slightly torn.

Besides that my engine has developed quite a clatter lately :huh: . After doing the best I cleaning the carbs, the bike no longer runs!

Luckily I have a jugs with 700cc and 3K on the rebuild, 750 heads and cams, good working 24mm VM's, and a good bottom end with only 6K handy huh?

So I'm gonna have to remove the engine thats in there now (with 26K) and put in my built motor. I guess I'll rebuild the motor I have in their now for later use!

Peter (AKA NBK)

• Page: