Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

I need VIN number help. 31 Mar 2006 07:05 #35714

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
It sounds like the only thing to do is get with the dmv and work something out. Maybe he can stamp his own serial number on it? But then he didn't manufacture the frame either.... mmmm.

I would go to some chopping forums, or hell, call OCC and ask what they do!!:lol:

HEY, I just remembered the OCC clowns buy the frames from a bike shop in Oklahoma City ! Let me check and see if I can find the name, you could ask them.

OK! The place is called Racing Innovations Inc. 405 - 749 - 0009

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2006/03/31 10:07
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Update...... 31 Mar 2006 08:59 #35735

• OldSkool73
  • OldSkool73's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you everyone for the help.....as I sat at the Virginia DMV this morning for about three hours, I figured things would hopefully go my way. I found an AIG insurance company that would insure the chopper as a KZ1000 and in the info lines of the forms they had me fill out, I just added that it was a Z1 900, 903cc. No problem. Then at the actual DMV counter, I think because the original title with the bike came from PA and the guy behind the counter didnt know any better, he re-titled it here in VA with the same VIN number as it had....so its now insured and registered and totally legal. Now if only I could get the guys over at Fairfax Cycles to hurry up and finish my throttle and front brake cables, I could be out riding!!!! :woohoo:

Thanks again for all the help.....
OldSkool73
Attachments:

Update...... 31 Mar 2006 09:25 #35741

• ejshotgun
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Very Cool glad you got it sorted out.
Nice Ride by the way.

Eric

Update...... 31 Mar 2006 09:48 #35747

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
OldSkool73 wrote:

...Then at the actual DMV counter, I think because the original title with the bike came from PA and the guy behind the counter didnt know any better, he re-titled it here in VA with the same VIN number as it had....

Yep, that' what happened to me since my bike had an Indiana title at first with the (typoed) engine number on it.

It wasn't until I went to insure it that I ran into the problem, and they helped me to understand the ramifications of "legally" licensing an incorrect VIN.

The most important point of all was when they told me that they might not have to legally pay for any damages or anything because the VIN of what was insured would not match the VIN of the bike in reality. Basically, the "insured" bike doesn't "exist". Also there's the problem of perhaps having been a stolen bike since the number was never run through the databases and is not traceable. Or maybe worse yet, not having it *be* traceable *if/when* stolen.

Anyway, issuing a new title for the bike with the correct VIN from the Michigan Sec. of State (DMV to you guys) turned out to not be such a big deal since there *was* a title trail, even though it was messed up numbers.
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

• Page: