Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Big block Ape 13 Feb 2006 19:28 #23687

• kz-mtd
  • kz-mtd's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
903cc 1976 kz: If I go big block from .... Would I have heat issues with 1327 10:5:1? What type of cams if it's not a problem? :whistle:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Big block Ape 13 Feb 2006 19:58 #23702

• wireman
  • Visitor
ive got a 1327 street engine put a big oilcooler on it there are no holes between the cylinders like the stock block to help cooling.the cams depend on how you want to ride it id goe with a reasonably small set of cams and some 34-36 carbs to make a fun ,responsive motor that you dont have to constantly work on;) goodluck,happy wrenching!

Big block Ape 13 Feb 2006 21:11 #23721

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
There is lots of discussion on whether or not a 1105 is streetable (as in daily driver) let alone a 1327.
I sure would not want to get stuck in slow stop and go traffic with one, but if you live out in the boonies (like me) and only ride when it's cool (temp wise) then it might work.

APE will sell you a 1327 block and pistons, but I'll bet they suggest a 1075, and they do have lots of experience so they are probably worth listening to.

It's your money and your bike though :)
KD9JUR

Big block Ape 13 Feb 2006 21:59 #23726

• wireman
  • Visitor
the biggest problem with the 1105 was the stock sleeves being to thin,a 1327 or any bigblock motor is definately not going to be something you want to spend a lot of time idling on in stop and go traffic,im about 2 minutes from the interstate where im at so i can go hunt big game without having to worry too much about overheating,track is about 15 miles south east of here and its mostly interstate also:evil:

Big block Ape 14 Feb 2006 13:43 #23838

• APE Jay
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 58
A 1327 big block would be much more streetable than an 1105 that was just bored into a 1000 block. 1327 have cylinder sleeves as thick as a stock 903.

We have lost count of how many 1327 / 1395 street Kawasakis we have done. There are a bunch. ( doing one right now ).

As for heat issues, we tell customers that if they have to wait for a train of a very long light, just shut it off.

If the head is stock, you can run the 410 cams, if there is porting in the head, use the 435s. The 36 carb will give you great low and mid range punch.

Jay

Big block Ape 14 Feb 2006 14:43 #23842

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I wouldn't say you would have heat issues. Using a proper big block gets you nice thick liners. The issue would be is a 1327 too big for the street. What real use could you get out of it? I would not expect it to be a daily driver back and forth to work. A properly done 1327 would make mega ponies and would require a really really big back wheel to put those ponies to use. Of course a big HP motor will make more heat. To make HP you either have to make more heat, generate more pressure or get more RPM's. I gues I'm not much of a HP fan. I've always put the emphasis on handling. Although when dealing with a 70 era bike HP is probably easier to come by then stellar handling.

Big block Ape 14 Feb 2006 15:17 #23850

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
My definition of streetable is being able to go on a day long ride without having to continuously monitor engine temp and worry about overheating. I'll shut off any bike while waiting on a long train, but having to shut it off at stoplights violates my idea of streetable. I realize that some peoples definition of streetable involves pulling it out of the garage and riding the 5 miles to the track, and then riding it back home after the races. I guess my response to a question of "Will it be streetable with XXXX" ought to be "What is your definition of streetable?" :)

To me, the issues caused by riding a 1327 on the street detract from the fun of riding a bike, but then I gave my brother a 82 1000 CSR in exchange for his 750 twin because the "only" thing I liked about the CSR was the power, the rest of the bike sucked, so perhaps my sanity should be questioned :laugh: :laugh:
KD9JUR

Big block Ape 14 Feb 2006 17:07 #23876

• wireman
  • Visitor
when my 1327 goes back together this summer it will have set of smaller 36 carbs,an electronic ignition instead of magneto and a big oilcooler to make it more usable. handling has nothing to with motor size,the same chassis tricks that work on a stock kz work on one with a big motor tires,suspension etc .the interstate has always been my personal test ground not because of heating issues but for the fact you can find a wideopen stretch and bash em off for 5-10 miles at a crack,one hell of a cobweb remover!:whistle:

Big block Ape 14 Feb 2006 19:13 #23935

• kz-mtd
  • kz-mtd's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Now I'm getting some where.I needed to know if somone out there is runnin' streetible big block kz motors:woohoo: Not just around the corner.

Big block Ape 14 Feb 2006 20:17 #23959

• wireman
  • Visitor
ive got mine torn down to the frame right now. im concentrating on cosmetic things and suspension parts i will post pictures of it as i start putting it back together,it will be a streetable bike but it wont be driven everyday ive got other bikes for that.itll come out on saturday nights to go out and hunt unsuspecting crotch rockets!:evil: :whistle:

Big block Ape 14 Feb 2006 20:51 #23964

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
not trying to hijack here, just a quick question. how many ponies should a well built 1327 be putting out? just curious, thx
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Big block Ape 14 Feb 2006 21:08 #23967

• wireman
  • Visitor
the cheapass back tire on mine grenaded at about a 125hp on the dyno it had a lot more in it but the tire couldnt take it,when i get done with it this time around it will go on the dyno with good rubber if i can coax 135-140hp at the rear wheel ill be happy,thats a lot of power for an aircooled 30 yr old streetbike!:whistle:

• Page: