Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Another Boring question 20 Oct 2005 21:41 #3151

• APE Jay
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 58
lotsofink wrote:

Sorry for jumping in here but I have a question for ya Jay.I have 1000 cases,for me to run the 1200 kit do I need to have the top case bored?And how will the streetability be with this kit?

Yes you would need the top case bored. 1200 street motors are very reliable. They use the stock block so they cool real well.

We have done 1325 and 1395, street motors that guys ride lond distances on, but they need big blocks..

Jay
www.kzzone.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another Boring question 18 Nov 2005 00:16 #8781

• wireguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Id recomend a 900 cylinder for the 1200 kit they have more beef to support sleeves

Another Boring question 18 Nov 2005 03:18 #8788

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Assuming that you measured everything and it was right when you reassembled....

My VW 1300 rebuild took a long time to for rings to seat. Prior to seating it ran smoothly but did not have much power. I never did measure the compression but suspect it would have been crap until they seated.

-Duck

Another Boring question 18 Nov 2005 03:55 #8790

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
  • Thank you received: 50
Ever heard of Power News? This guy has some interesting ideas on engine break in techniques... among other things. Check out his ideas on porting. He makes the ports smaller to increase the charge velocity.
1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

Another Boring question 18 Nov 2005 05:51 #8796

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Asking about break in techniques is about like asking which motor oil is your favorite... so many opinions and theories that it is silly. If you ride around and keep your speeds under 60 mph and vary your engine rpms, the rings will break in. If you drive like a your just stole the bike, the rings will break in. The only thing I have noticed that makes for better break in is to use Marvel Mystery Oil OR Automatic Transmission Fluid in the bores rather than assembly lube or engine oil... Both MMO and ATF are lighter and burn off and allow the rings to bite into the hone where the heavier assembly lube or motor oil doesn't allow as quick break in... I was told this "trick" by the best engine builder in South Texas and have noticed it making a difference.

Also MANY builders will tell you to break the engine in on DINO and not SYNTH but I have broken in rings on synthetic oil and it didn't seem to make any difference but again, others have had different experiences.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Another Boring question 18 Nov 2005 05:58 #8799

• Fendrguy
  • User
Thanks for that read.
Motoman is on the money with that one.
the racing world has proved it.
The big guys (factory riders) have there motors rebuild after every race.
Do you think they have time to Break it in?
time = wear
wear = less Hp
against a feild of many, you need all the Hp you can get.

Just an opinion, others will have theres.;)

Another Boring question 18 Nov 2005 06:27 #8806

• Aloha Mr Hand Z1R
  • Aloha Mr Hand Z1R's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
I thought ths post was long-dead... I checked the valve clearances again and there was clearace but .002 on the intakes was tight, it was probably somewhere between .0015 and .002 so I went to the next size down shim on the valves and the compression did chage quite a bit. It is still not perfect all the way across, but acceptable, I don't have the numbers right handy.

On the break-in, I remembered how I assembled it.. I knew a guy in Phx in the early 90's who said to assemble the cylinders DRY with nothing, so the rings will seat right away. He was a tuner for a Top Fuel bike there so I figured he knew what he was talking about so that's how I did it.

I'm done with synthetic! After my first couple rides back on the old girl, I can look at a couple points on the engine and see the the oil bubbling right out and ontot he side of the motor, teeny tiny bubbles... I'll try conventional and see if it stops.

Another Boring question 18 Nov 2005 22:40 #8967

• APE Jay
  • Banned
Was that the late Mike Malone?

Jay

Another Boring question 18 Nov 2005 23:42 #8970

• Aloha Mr Hand Z1R
  • User
That's IT!!! The guy I knew was Jeff Thompson, he owned a small shop in North Phx called Jet Cycle. I saw the bike in there a few times and was 'allowed' to sit on it once... what a machine! It had the head on backwards with a blower and a single sidedraft carb in the front. Exhaust coming out behind the rider. I think it was blue and white if I remember right.

Jeff had the remnants of a motor explosion hanging on the wall that I assume was from that bike. It was just the oil pan mounting surface with a little bit of the case left on it.

You say late... I didn't know the guy, did he pass away on the track or ??

Another Boring question 19 Nov 2005 15:35 #9046

• APE Jay
  • Banned
Mike died of a heart attack. We were good friends. He used a lot of our stuff on his fueler.

Jay

Post edited by: APE Jay, at: 2005/11/19 18:35

Another Boring question 19 Nov 2005 23:42 #9127

• Aloha Mr Hand Z1R
  • User
Bummer, Sorry for that. My dad died of a heart attack too at 57. Pretty sad.. totally preventable...

His bike was sponsored by a Phoenix company that made copper head gaskets right? I got a scaled down copper 900/1000 head gasket about 4 inches long from Jeff I think. It's pretty cute.

Another Boring question 21 Nov 2005 00:18 #9293

• APE Jay
  • Banned
Yes Accutronix. He owned it with his brother.

Jay

• Page: