Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Mods vs. Rockers 2016 (SoCal) 06 Jan 2016 11:14 #705797

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The event was a way to get scooters and bikes together at the same time. It was huge in some cities. The one in Chicago had to stop because it just took over too much street space and brought that part of the city into gridlock.

It did have a lot of European bikes and scooters along with the usual Japanese fleet of café/bob/brat/rat/fighter bikes (with a few stockers hidden in the mix). It was really great for a few years, but got over-run by the show-room Harley crowd with bolt-on chrome accessories. (It also got a lot louder then too with open pipes.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mods vs. Rockers 2016 (SoCal) 06 Jan 2016 11:41 #705799

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
Now who is spoiling the fun again? Didn't have bike week last year because of what happened in NV.
Steve

Mods vs. Rockers 2016 (SoCal) 06 Jan 2016 13:49 #705814

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
The film Quadrephenia illustrates it all, with a fantastic 'The Who' soundtrack. Steve (Swest) and I were talking this exact film in private only a few days a go. My avatar is my 750R1 on Brighton Beach, the pier is in the foreground.

"The Mod Squad" were neither mods, nor really a squad... discuss.

They were disaffected youth trying to find an identity - the scooter being the mode of transport, for young lads without a car, rather than the lifestyle - as opposed to the rockers. Mods vs Rockers, Cats vs Dogs...Just like football thugs, where England is world famous for them. :angry:

A few weeks ago I was with a mate, ex Outlaws UK MC , across the bar was a current HA MC member, not wearing colours and no attitude at all, all of us enjoying the metal band's music and the beers. In different circumstances this could have been a very ugly situation.... Bikers are in a minority already, we should stick together, not fall out.
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

Mods vs. Rockers 2016 (SoCal) 06 Jan 2016 14:25 #705821

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I paired my lap top with my Roku box for the 52" and started watching the movie between hacking up and bucking firewood dodging rain drops along the way. Wood burners stoked, firewoods getting drenched outside, got enough for the night, time to settle in and watch the movie. i remember being that young. :dry:
Whatever happened to that kid? :unsure:
Steve

Mods vs. Rockers 2016 (SoCal) 06 Jan 2016 14:26 #705822

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
I sort of knew! I threw the "MOD SQUAD" in for a tangent, cause I am an idiot sometimes! I like mixing things up!
I had my first mini bike when I was 11. Then someone gave me a Vespa engine when I was about 12. I remember C-clamping it to a pick nick table. It was one that was direct drive to rear wheel. It had a kicker. We thought it was so cool that we could start it and it ran. It was old. But this was in about 1970-71. I wish I kept it.
And just to show my interest. I was in Florida, near Coco-Beach about 3 yrs ago and took this picture. Why? Because they were cool!
One was an original and the other was a retro new build. I like anything with 2 wheels!!
I Was leaving for the Caribbean on a cruise ship, out of Cape Canaveral. Was at a Ron Jon Surf shop. The people were tail gating, watching the big ships leave, At Coco Beach. (Major Nelson & Genie) Must of been entertainment for them?

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Last edit: by z1kzonly.

Mods vs. Rockers 2016 (SoCal) 06 Jan 2016 14:29 #705824

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
A modern woody. :woohoo: B)
Steve

Mods vs. Rockers 2016 (SoCal) 06 Jan 2016 14:37 #705829

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
It was actually real nice. It was vinyl and paint, not real wood.
Those ships are huge!

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Mods vs. Rockers 2016 (SoCal) 06 Jan 2016 14:50 #705832

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

Tyrell Corp wrote: The film Quadrephenia illustrates it all, with a fantastic 'The Who' soundtrack. Steve (Swest) and I were talking this exact film in private only a few days a go. My avatar is my 750R1 on Brighton Beach, the pier is in the foreground.

"The Mod Squad" were neither mods, nor really a squad... discuss.

They were disaffected youth trying to find an identity - the scooter being the mode of transport, for young lads without a car, rather than the lifestyle - as opposed to the rockers. Mods vs Rockers, Cats vs Dogs...Just like football thugs, where England is world famous for them. :angry:

A few weeks ago I was with a mate, ex Outlaws UK MC , across the bar was a current HA MC member, not wearing colours and no attitude at all, all of us enjoying the metal band's music and the beers. In different circumstances this could have been a very ugly situation.... Bikers are in a minority already, we should stick together, not fall out.

Let's not forget Sting in his first role?

Brendan, I was referring to a TV series, here in the U.S. , "The Mod Squad". They were pretty much hippies (thus not mods), and were not cops. I don't think TV producers back then knew what a mod was.

z1kzonly posted a photo of one of the main characters from "The Mod Squad", known as "Linc".

But actually, the entire quote was a reference to a "Saturday Night Live" sketch known as "Coffee Talk" featuring Mike Meyers as a talk show host who would often say a popular saying or a commonly known thing, and then declare the opposite. For example:" The American Revolution was neither American, nor a revolution... Discuss". I don't know if you actually had either of those shows over there. I figured someone here would get the references.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Mods vs. Rockers 2016 (SoCal) 06 Jan 2016 15:04 #705835

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I did a rolling stage for the Dolly Parton room in the early 90's. The Viking Serenade was the name of the ship. (Nassau) Yeah, a sky scraper that floats. The stage was only 8X8' on casters, low in the front to fit over the edge of the real stage, About 8" and I asked the producer how wide the bulk heads were. Good thing I screwed it together. Put me and my contraption on a life boat and hoisted me up to the third deck. Stranded me 1/2 way up(break time), got to the floor, it wouldn't fit. The ships horn was blowing for departure, it won't go through the door, I barely made it through the crews passages to the loading port at waterline. I had to make a running jump to make the dock. You don't want to see the conditions the crew has to work and live in. That was in Long Beach, I had to finish it up in San Diego two days later while it was in dry dock. The rest of the story later but all I can say after standing under that thing is WOW.
Steve

Mods vs. Rockers 2016 (SoCal) 06 Jan 2016 17:36 #705847

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Watched the movie, intense.
Steve

Mods vs. Rockers 2016 (SoCal) 06 Jan 2016 18:02 #705849

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
Lou, thanks for clarifying that..lost in UK/ US English translation. Mod's vs Rockers.

Watch the UK film 'Quadrephenia' one day if you have the time, it is a gem, trust me. No Amps and Volts nonsense here. :cheer:

p.s. Lou save me a pm, check my recent GPz1100 B1 injection thread, your opinion appreciated. Thinking ZX11 DFI or old school carbs...just love the brutal look of those early GPz11's. I need one,
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

Last edit: by Tyrell Corp.

Mods vs. Rockers 2016 (SoCal) 10 Jan 2016 16:15 #706219

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • I_Tig_in_piece's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14

KZJOE900 wrote: Just watch Quadrophenia. Especially if you like the WHO. I'm surprised the Moto Club I sometimes ride with has never sponsored a local ride with the scooters. The 50th anniversary of the riots just passed in 2014. Seems more people are taking an interest.

This is similar to the answer I got(- your moto club :P ) when I asked what was Mods vs Rockers.

Ed_in_Miami wrote: Always loved this Mods video:

Always heard and listened to this song when I was a teen, never seen the music vid though. I know that's the singer, but is the video a fan-made or that's the original?

Hopefully I'll have my phone camera fixed by then to take pics and video. That is assuming it doesn't rain? I'm done with riding in tsunamis. I built a motorcycle not a jet-ski.. :P

ed
Cheap labor isn't skilled, skilled labor isn't cheap.
1980 KZ440a. I went green.
If you yourself are building an older bike and can see it through till you're riding it, that's proof you have patience.