Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Trailering U.S -registered & licensed bikes in & out of Canada? 26 Oct 2022 07:38 #876029

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • slmjim+Z1BEBE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 597
VJMC-NA (USA) is putting out feelers to gauge interest in a VJMC event in Ottawa, target date summer of 2023 or 2024.

In addition to needing current passport(s), what considerations will a U.S. citizen need to be aware of when entering & leaving Canada with U.S.- registered vintage motorcycles transported in a small single or double axle cargo or open trailer?

Thanks all!

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by slmjim+Z1BEBE.

Trailering U.S -registered & licensed bikes in & out of Canada? 26 Oct 2022 07:58 #876031

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 379
I used to drive up to Ontario fairly often, but that was 10+ years ago so some of this info might be dated. With that in mind...

US-registered personal vehicles can pass freely into/out of Canada. The border agents will most likely want to inspect the inside of the trailer, and they may ask to see the registrations/proof of ownership for the bikes being transported. Of course, they may ask to see the registration for the tow vehicle and for the trailer as well, just as a matter of procedure, along with your driver's license.

The last time I went I was asked a) if I had anything to declare and b) what my purpose was for the trip. They are very picky about people going into Canada to do paid professional work, but this will clearly be a leisure trip so they shouldn't give you too much grief.

They may ask if you intend to sell the bike(s) in Canada; that opens the conversation to duties/tax, etc.

Also do not bring firearms, even if you have a concealed carry permit. AFAIK those are not recognized up north.
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE

Trailering U.S -registered & licensed bikes in & out of Canada? 27 Oct 2022 16:37 #876084

• Injected
  • User
  • Thank you received: 396
I am in Ontario, about 2 hours East of Detroit. I worked in Automotive for about 25 years so I use to go to Michigan at least 3-4 times a year before the passport days and after the passport days (911)

I was forced out of Automotive in 2008 thanks to Global downsizing and now have my own design business.

As soon as you get across that border the speeds are in metric (KPH) gas is in Liters.

From what I have heard they beefed up the border during the Pandemic, hired a ton of Border Officers/Agents. They take it pretty seriously, even thought weed has been legal here since Oct 2018 you can't bring any over the border - That is consider smuggling. Its crazy but true. If you travel with meds make sure your pills are all in the correct bottle marked with the prescription label on it.

If you get pulled over for a search, just co-operate, don't be a big mouth, they can refuse you entry for any remarks.
The can also detain you, they increased the power these people have, its a bit disgusting. Then you have to drive back with your tail between your legs, and they may also bar you entry for up to 2 years (depending on what they say you did)

You can't bring tasers, brass knuckles, batons that lengthen, switch blades, any blade over 4" can be taken, nun chucks etc. They will confiscate all of those on sight/search.
It sounds like a lot of doom and gloom but crossing the border if you honest and law abiding is easy.
The likelihood of you needing those here is almost zero, especially in Ottawa, there are cops all over that place. The other thing about Ottawa is that road signs are in both French and English.

They have a good web site :

cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

You should check that before visiting, they always say that to your face when you say you "didn't know".

You can also get a hold of these guys :

www.cvmg.ca/

They will know what the best way to trailer vintage bike up North. We get visitors from all over at the Paris Rally, we have a lot of Z1's up here nobody has ever seen. A lot of pollution free models, 2 strokes.

If you really want to see vintage bikes the Paris Swap is only a 3 hour drive from Detroit, the web site shows what is there. I don't think there is too much Ottawa way unless you just want to sight see, in my opinion the nicer place is Niagara Falls (another 2 hour drive)

www.cvmg.ca/ParisRally

The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE

Last edit: by Injected.
  • Page: