• Page:

TOPIC:

Buying a 1978 Z650B2 21 Jun 2021 09:28 #850527

• Ian_B
  • Ian_B's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi all,

Most nice 650's around where I live seem to be on sale for something like 4 to 5 thousand Euros. I have found one on offer for half of that. It's had work done on it - frame powder coated, overhauled head, alloy top clamp, various bits replaced with stainless etc, paint looks decent. The photos all look fine.

The one reported fault is the electric starter, which "doesn't work" (it apparently kickstarts fine). It could be any of a number of issues, but is there one known common cause of this on the 650's?

As long as a dead starter is fixable (and I can't imagine that it wouldn't be), my plan would then be to take some of the cash saved on the purchase price and then spend that on better shocks, tyres, head bearings, consumables etc. Working on the engine doesn't worry me - I've stripped & rebuilt bike engines before, and usually didn't have too many parts left over.

On the 650 in general - is there anything specific that I should be looking for? Known faults?

Thanks,

Ian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Buying a 1978 Z650B2 21 Jun 2021 10:01 #850532

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
A starter not working could be any of a number of things, none of which is overly expensive to fix.  It could be as simple as a broken spring in the starter button.  Or it may be the solenoid.  Or possibly brushes in the starter.  I would "start" by looking at the electrical circuit.  If that's fine then look at the brushes.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Buying a 1978 Z650B2 21 Jun 2021 10:23 #850536

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 372
Hello Ian.

The starter clutch does tend to wear on the 650s.
Seems to stop grabbing and starting the bike, for some people.
Mine lets out the tell tale signs, one being sounding like a Rooster while cranking at times.
Luckily it still is working for me, even after 125K KMs.
Have the kick starter too, but I have installed rear set foot pegs, so I need to lift the right peg.
Helps if the bikes starts easy.
Mine fires instantly at the push of the button currently.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Buying a 1978 Z650B2 21 Jun 2021 11:20 #850538

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

Hi all,
...............head bearings.................

Head bearings?  Do you mean steering stem bearings?   Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

Buying a 1978 Z650B2 21 Jun 2021 22:07 #850571

• Ian_B
  • User
Thanks Nick, I'll see if it's the starter clutch - in which case I guess, the starter motor will spin but just not bite.

Ed, yes, indeed I mean the steering stem bearings. The bike seems to have had work done on it - it has a custom made top fork yoke and a powder coated frame, so it's obviously been in bits; quite likely that tapered rollers were installed then, we'll see. Apparently, the rear fork is from a Zephyr (the original is included). Is this a common mod?

It's now a 43 year old bike, so I'm expecting that any rubber parts (seals etc) that haven't been replaced will need it by now - all part of the fun of buying a classic I guess.

I'll try to view the bike today.

Thanks,

Ian

Buying a 1978 Z650B2 22 Jun 2021 04:36 #850579

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

.............. Apparently, the rear fork is from a Zephyr (the original is included). Is this a common mod? ..............

I've never heard of that mod.  You may want to put the original swingarm back on the bike since that swingarm is quite good.  Below is a link to a video that shows the 1977 KZ650 officially beating all the 750cc records.  The bikes there used the original swingarms.  Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Buying a 1978 Z650B2 22 Jun 2021 07:12 #850585

• Ian_B
  • User
Just back from seeing  the bike; I didn't buy it. It wasn't expensive for what it was, but I really wanted a more original bike - a lot of bits had been swapped out. Some of the original parts came with it, but weren't in a very good condition. Putting it back to good original condition would probably have soaked up more than the low purchase price would have given me. The motor was fine when warm, it just needed keeping in life with the choke when cold. The owner thought this was due to it having K&N intake filters.

It was indeed the starter clutch that had failed, but the handlebar starter button had also failed. 

I looked at the Zephyr swing arm, and then at the original. I must say, the Zephyr one looked really good, it seems it was a straightforward swap, just a spacer was needed for the swing arm pivot bearings. It had eccentric adjusters and generally looked a lot more substantial than the stock one. Maybe something for others to consider.

It was lovely to get back on a Z650 again after all those years, it rode and sounded as nicely as I remembered. Instant smile on the face stuff.

So I'm looking again...

Ian

• Page: