Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

[Rant] Anyone else's fuel tank kinda suck? 01 Jul 2020 14:27 #829545

• ghostdive
  • ghostdive's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
So, I've had a lot of fuel delivery issues, and I think I'm finally past them, but one thing still bothers me - with a full tank (3.9 gallons on my Spectre) I can go 100, MAYBE 120 miles before needing to slosh fuel to the left; my tank is shaped like a W on the bottom, and it runs out on the petcock side. Up until today I didn't have a reserve, just a straight spout I rigged up, and now that I have one I'm wondering - what's the point?

It just feels like the ability to road trip isn't really there. If I had an LTD setup (5 gallons?) it would be better, but that's a mess I don't want right now. As it is I can barely ride to my folks' place without filling up. I'm legitimately considering putting a second tap on the right side of the tank and routing them to a Y joint!
1982 KZ750 Spectre - 6 speed swap, BS34s, 18" rear wheel

2001 ZX-6R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

[Rant] Anyone else's fuel tank kinda suck? 01 Jul 2020 15:15 #829549

• M_a_t_t
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 41
Do you ride hard? It might be the shape of the tank, but I can get 130 miles without hitting reserve on my 1100 (5 gallons though). I usually get ~35 miles per gallon. I've never had to put it in reserve so I've never had to slosh the tank around.
83 KZ1100A (shaft)
17 Versys X 300 abs
81 kz650h1
81 kz750e2
90 Honda CBR600F (brother's)

Last edit: by M_a_t_t.

[Rant] Anyone else's fuel tank kinda suck? 01 Jul 2020 15:20 #829551

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Is there a tank liner inside? If they clogged up the rear end of the tank with a crème coat, fuel will have more difficulty getting from one side to the other.

Kz tanks are usually shaped so fuel will travel from one side to the other at the very back of the tank. Note that this eliminates the need for an external crossover tube that many Yamahas and Hondas have, and are always a headache.

[Rant] Anyone else's fuel tank kinda suck? 01 Jul 2020 17:42 #829563

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
If you now have the reserve feature on the petcock you should be fine. When the petcock is on the normal setting and the tank gets down to a fairly low level the bike will begin to feel like it is out of gasoline. At that point if you switch the petcock to the reserve setting you will have about another 20 miles or so (if you ride at normal speeds) before you actually run out of gas. Reserve really is a good feature to have. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

[Rant] Anyone else's fuel tank kinda suck? 02 Jul 2020 07:40 #829592

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
A 750 Ltd fuel tank is going to be either the same size or smaller. Standard model fuel tanks are typically larger.
I'm pretty sure the KZ750E tank is 4.2 gals. >> the 750E is a standard model.
The 82 750R GPz, 750-L3 Sports & KZ700 tanks are probably about the same size as the 750E, maybe a tad larger.
If the fuel tanks are different, swapping tanks between different models usually doesn't work. not direct fit anyway.

Last edit: by martin_csr.
  • Page: