Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New Electric Bike 10 Jan 2020 05:33 #816810

• hardrockminer
  • hardrockminer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1021
I think we are going to see more of these in the future. This one looks interesting because of the advanced range and the advanced technology. I particularly like the Adjust feature for body position. I find now that I'm older I get sore legs very quickly, expecially when in the sit up and beg position.

electrek.co/2020/01/08/damon-hypersport-...Fthu_RqrRp-NPeuDq5Ys
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by hardrockminer.

New Electric Bike 10 Jan 2020 06:41 #816819

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
With all those features it should probably have a real loud horn too
78 KZ1000 A2A

New Electric Bike 10 Jan 2020 08:07 #816828

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
$25,000! My wife paid less than that for a brand new Chevy Malibu! :laugh: Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

New Electric Bike 10 Jan 2020 08:22 #816832

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
Until the car and motorcycle manufacturers bring the prices down to a reasonable level they are nothing but novelties for the rich.

New Electric Bike 10 Jan 2020 12:49 #816858

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967
It has my attention
But so does the new Tesla CyberTruck. Im thinking about the 3 motor AWD super truck Zero to 60 in 2.9 sec.. and 500 hundred mile range
Even if you dont like electric vehicles , do the math on cost of going 200 miles on the bike or 500 miles in the truck
Puts gas burners to shame for cost per mile.
Weak link is going on a long trip when adding in charging times while on the road
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

New Electric Bike 10 Jan 2020 13:45 #816864

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1896
Take the Red Pill or Blue Pill. Welcome to the Matrix power plant.

Attachments:

New Electric Bike 10 Jan 2020 13:52 #816865

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

Street Fighter LTD wrote: It has my attention
But so does the new Tesla CyberTruck. Im thinking about the 3 motor AWD super truck Zero to 60 in 2.9 sec.. and 500 hundred mile range
Even if you dont like electric vehicles , do the math on cost of going 200 miles on the bike or 500 miles in the truck
Puts gas burners to shame for cost per mile.
Weak link is going on a long trip when adding in charging times while on the road
Dave

So I bought my bike 42 years ago for about $2,500. Today, fuel costs me about $2.69 per gallon. Assuming I ride at normal speeds I get about 40 mpg.

The electric bike costs $25,000. It cost something to charge the batteries in that bike, and here that electricity is generated by burning coal – but I won’t go into that right now. So, if I subtract my $2,500 from the $25,000 I get $22,500. If I divide that $22,500 by the $2.69 fuel bill per gallon I get 8,364 gallons of fuel. If I multiply 8,364 gallons times 40 mpg I get 334,560 miles.

I know I didn’t take into account the difference in the value of money from when I bought my bike until today, but I also didn’t take into account any costs at all for charging the electric bike.

I think I’ll keep my 1977 KZ650 until it has 334,560 miles on it, then I will consider an electric bike. I only need to ride it another 272,560 miles before I must make that decision. ;) Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: baldy110, Scirocco

New Electric Bike 10 Jan 2020 15:13 #816873

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
We saw a lot of electric bicycles up in the Colorado high country towns and they looked like a great way to get around.
something like that can be plugged into a solar panel
78 KZ1000 A2A

New Electric Bike 10 Jan 2020 15:49 #816875

• Street Fighter LTD
ED
I get and agree with your logic. I your case anyway.
Bikes will take longer than cars and trucks for folks like us to make the conversion .
We all own bikes here that dont owe us a dime
But new bikes for those starting out can be pricey gas fueled or electric powered.
I will never at my age change to a electric bike
But on a car or truck it may happen.
New Tesla truck is 40 thousand for 2wd , 50 thousand for awd and 60 Thousand all decked out . These numbers are on a par with Ford, Chevy , Ram
and probably the other brands too.
Just saying, Its time to open our eyes and minds to whats here and coming
Dave

Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

New Electric Bike 10 Jan 2020 15:57 #816877

• Bulletkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 18
I like the idea of electric and was thinking about building another board track racer replica with electric power, but I couldn't see myself buying a car or bike because every thing I ever bought that was battery powered died on me and the batteries cost more to than whatever the thing cost to replace.

New Electric Bike 10 Jan 2020 16:07 #816878

• Street Fighter LTD

Bulletkz wrote: I like the idea of electric and was thinking about building another board track racer replica with electric power, but I couldn't see myself buying a car or bike because every thing I ever bought that was battery powered died on me and the batteries cost more to than whatever the thing cost to replace.

The electric movement is here. Lots of unknowns , but here to stay.
I here you on the battery question . I own lots of nice power tools which just sit due to worn out battery packs and the high cost of replacing the batteries.
So some scuttlebutt on car batteries. Im hearing that a worn out car power pack means its down to 75 percent . Wow, now what
One thing being tossed around is the idea of taking these batteries and using them to power our homes. Im not the guy / engineer doing this , but Im listening ..
I was going to go solar panels and batteries on my home , but as of 2 yearsago which is last time I did the math its a wash with just paying the power bill.
Lots of factors go into this , but Things are getting closer to making sense
Dave

New Electric Bike 10 Jan 2020 17:46 #816885

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
Comparing a vintage KZ650 to a new electric superbike is ridiculous. it would be more fair to compare a Ducati Panigale or something in the superbike realm... to that point they are cost comparable. $2500 in 1978 would be the equivalent of over $10k today, which is not too far away form a base level Zero S. not to mention maintenance costs will be drastically less for electric.

I've ridden the Alta Redshift and the Harley Livewire . People like to compare them to combustion engine based bikes and its an "apples to oranges" comparison. They are completely different experience. Electric tech is getting cheaper and better by the day with NO EPA REGULATIONS, whereas the combustion engine is being strangled into obsolescence. Sky is the limit right now for electric.

Unlike most combustion engine based dealers, Its quite easy to get a test ride on an electric bike. If you can try it I highly recommend it, they live up to the hype.

Last edit: by DoctoRot.
  • Page: