Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bitchen Body Panels! 14 Jul 2007 07:30 #156767

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
If they looked as good in person as the pictures indicated, $700 is a good price as just a new Kawasaki tank alone is $700. It would probably cost more than $700 to have a job like this done. Compare to paintworkz.com/ they are $950-$1000 to paint a Z1 back to original looking. I won't get into my paint rants, just say you're not going to repaint your own bike or go to a local shop and have it come out decent unless they specialize in this kind of painting, and they are very few and far between. My attitude towards repaint is improving as with this set added to previous decent jobs we're up to about 5 good ones now. 5 out of 200 gazillion is still not all that great of number though.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bitchen Body Panels! 14 Jul 2007 07:46 #156772

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Bluemeanie wrote:

My bodywork was showing it's age and my wife said just paint them. Taking them to a painter, what would be an average price for the four pieces?

Talk to Mark Wing, he'll take care of ya. ;)

I agree with Ron, IMO that was a fair price for what appeared to be a proper looking re-paint (with pinstriping even) of the original bodywork.
Trying to find a NOS pristine and matching set of bodywork would be akin to searching for the Holy Grail, and likely just as pricey too! :ohmy:

Aside from paintworkz.com, most "pro" painters won't even touch a set of skins from older bikes like ours for the same reasons that most repair shops won't work on them - since a lot of NOS parts are NLA from Kawi for our bikes, it's nearly impossible to replace something that might possibly become damaged during the repair/re-paint.
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Bitchen Body Panels! 14 Jul 2007 18:53 #156848

• KawasakiJockey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Bluemeanie wrote:

My bodywork was showing it's age and my wife said just paint them. Taking them to a painter, what would be an average price for the four pieces?

about $300 or so.

Bitchen Body Panels! 15 Jul 2007 15:50 #156997

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
Ha, ha. $300 you'll be looking like the 200 gazillion pieces of utter crap out there. Dream on.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Page: