• Page:

TOPIC:

leaded gas, and octane recommendations 28 Jun 2007 08:08 #153386

• Wirewulf
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
PLUMMEN wrote:

Wirewulf wrote:

I think we have some aviation members here who could verify this, but can't you get 100 octane low-lead at a local airstrip. That's what the piston planes use.

differant rating system

Goes to 11??:woohoo: (Spinal Tap ref.)

OK Plummen, you made me curious, so I went and found this out at wiki. If I understand correctly, the av-gas would have an even higher octane if judged by the same method. That is 100 octane aviation fuel ~ 110 octane auto fuel.

From Wikipedia:
"The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel through a specific test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing these results with those for mixtures of isooctane and n-heptane.

There is another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON) or the aviation lean octane rating, which is a better measure of how the fuel behaves when under load. MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, a higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern gasoline will be about 8 to 10 points lower than the RON. Normally fuel specifications require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON."

Post edited by: Wirewulf, at: 2007/06/28 11:19

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

leaded gas, and octane recommendations 28 Jun 2007 09:23 #153402

• themachine
  • themachine's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
i work at the cirrus airplane plant so getting 100 av gas is no problem

i'm using the k65 sleeves from ape, they are a little larger than the 1100 i belive.

yes, they do fit in an unbored 1000J case, however i had the machine shop shave 2 mm off of the base of the cyls and i filed some flashings off of the case, i used a high power vaccume cleaner to suck the dust as it fell, i also washed the engine down in a parts washer and then i bathed it in oil
82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

leaded gas, and octane recommendations 28 Jun 2007 09:23 #153403

• themachine
  • themachine's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
i work at the cirrus airplane plant so getting 100 av gas is no problem

i'm using the k65 sleeves from ape, they are a little larger than the 1100 i belive.

yes, they do fit in an unbored 1000J case, however i had the machine shop shave 2 mm off of the base of the cyls and i filed some flashings off of the case, i used a high power vaccume cleaner to suck the dust as it fell, i also washed the engine down in a parts washer and then i bathed it in oil
82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

• Page: