Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

78 KZ650SR 12 Jul 2022 21:18 #870280

• DoctorAust
  • DoctorAust's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

Yeah I’ve been around these styles of bikes for a while. Brother in law had been through quite a few bikes over the years and we both wrench a little bit. Personally have had 2 Harley’s and a bonneville. Still have my dyna.I’ll be doing a stem from cognito moto with a zx6 front end. Swing arm is to be determined. I am in no rush for this build. It will all be dealt with properly, mocked up and all that. I’d like to say I’m pretty OCD so skipping proper steps will not happen. 
I was born in the early 60's so I grew up with these bikes, had a pile of Honda 750/4's, old Suzuki's, Kawasaki's and a few in between...!I think the ZX6 only has about 25mm offset in their triple clamps, that'll take the nimble little 650 out to barge like Harley steering, kind of counterproductive on a little 650. I've had Devon at Cognito Moto {through a friend of mine stateside} , make me custom offset triple clamps to keep the steering correct on another long gone project. If you're using the 17 inch wheel that also changes things slightly, but will change things massively at the rear, it will put the chain line out miles, the 17 inch wheels are generally far too wide at 5 inches plus, a fairly easy swingarm conversion is using the Katana alloy swingarm, 2 small 2.2 to 2.3mm spacers either side, I used precision shims, and it bolts right up, it's a little bit longer than the stock are but not long enough to screw up handling.... Also fork length needs to be considered, most Jap front end swaps,  the forks are not long enough.  I've just done a couple of bearing swaps and made up new spacers to fit Kawasaki Z1300 wheels to a Triumph speed triple 45mm Showa front end , which is going on the front of a 1982 GPZ frame, I had to get custom made fork tubes 100mm longer to make the front ride height work. Nothing is as simple as it seems...My current project. 1st pic, the original bike, 2nd pic with swingarm and front end installed, 3rd and 4th pics are how it will look finished bar a pain job and the seat being redone..
Looks like you got some fun stuff going on over there! I like the stance! I’ll take a look into the katana swing arm! Thanks for the input! Hell half the fun in doing this stuff is trial and error and shooting ideas off and seeing how they go! 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

78 KZ650SR 13 Jul 2022 01:50 #870281

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394
I'm not " over there", I'm over here  , in Brisbane...

Have fun with the build, lots of people here that answer most questions....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: