Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Pink Thing 05 Feb 2022 10:42 #861834

• ghostdive
  • ghostdive's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
With my car not too near blowing up and the Ninja seeming reliable, I may as well give my 750 a break. There's a lot to do, and more that I could do, but I'm gonna do it halfway like always. 

Starting with the cosmetic, since that's the most important part:

Not bad from six feet, but there are some problem areas I'll be trying to address. 

The tank doesn't have enough clearance above the side covers and digs in. This has been an issue ever since getting the side covers, but you know how it is. The seat is also an issue, and I'm not sure how salvageable the seat pan is - I don't like the seat's shape, and I'm hoping to fit a 1000 tail that I've got (which would need a new seat to look halfway decent), so it's probably a new-seat situation anyway. 

A few months ago I bought the wrong clutch cable (classic 750 twin mixup) and I never bothered to change it, so that's got to go (as you can see). I think the shaft models have a different clutch actuator so unsure if there are any direct replacements; I really don't feel like paying Motion Pro $80+ for a cable. 

​​​​​

Aside from that, general touching-up is needed all over, and some color matching (such as this chrome signal). I think I want signals that mount to the headlight bucket and I suppose those will be chrome too, so maybe I'll have my guy blast them. I plan to stick to the pink bodywork, black frame et al, and gold wheels/forks as standard. 
1982 KZ750 Spectre - 6 speed swap, BS34s, 18" rear wheel

2001 ZX-6R
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pink Thing 05 Feb 2022 10:48 #861835

• ghostdive
  • User
Moving on, the oil leaks and the engine problems. Woe is me!

The usual spots on the cylinder head, which is not a huge problem, I'm doing a re-ring anyway so I'll try again. A bit at the base gasket too, but who cares. What worries me more is the leak from the bottom (main suspect is the shift shaft seal) which is kind of embarrassing when I visit my well-to-do friends and family. Furthermore, I feel like I lose about a quart every hundred miles, so I'm putting in some viton valve seals and the aforementioned rings. Compression is not too bad but also not spectacular. 

Starter clutch is going but I have a spare rebuilt from my siezed engine; think I'll change the dampers in there too since I did the clutch basket last year and it still feels jerky. 

The shocks I'm using (thanks to the generosity of Marty in Buffalo) have been leaking for a while; I like them and they feel fine but I'd like to keep oil in them. Not sure if rebuild supplies exist for these, so maybe I'll find some ZRX shocks for less than the cost of putting more metal in my face. 

2001 ZX-6R
Attachments:

Pink Thing 05 Feb 2022 10:54 #861837

• ghostdive
  • User
Finishing touches: my speedometer exploded a couple years ago and I'm using one from a different bike. It's very accurate and works fine, but it doesn't match and I don't like that. 

I bought a set of 750N gauges online, but the speedometer is cracked inside, so I don't know what to do about that. I'll probably just use it until it blows up.

The center stand doesn't do much but keep the bike upright now that I've got taller shocks and an 18" rear wheel, so I need to do something about that. I kind of worry about the strength of it though. I've bent off the foot lever twice already. 

I'd like to go back to the stock exhaust because it looks cool. I'll just need to have it welded in a few places - chiefly the left muffler, but there are some holes on the header pipes that need to be patched before blasting and painting. I'd like to find a gloss black to use, but it seems like a tough find. 

Hardly worth mentioning but I picked up a KZ1000P front wheel for cheap, thinking it might fit my forks - it does not. So maybe I'll get some P forks, I dunno. 

Okay, that's about everything. I'm not sure where I'll start, maybe the engine, but I'll keep you posted in here. Thanks for reading. 

2001 ZX-6R
Attachments:

Pink Thing 05 Feb 2022 11:39 #861838

• calum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 383
I've got a heap of spare parts for the meters on my 750H. I wanted to put a second set together, but everything left over you can have for the price of shipping (about $20 from Germany to the US). Pretty sure there's a backing plate that would fit that 750N clock.

Pink Thing 05 Feb 2022 12:11 #861839

• ghostdive
  • User

I've got a heap of spare parts for the meters on my 750H. I wanted to put a second set together, but everything left over you can have for the price of shipping (about $20 from Germany to the US). Pretty sure there's a backing plate that would fit that 750N clock.
I'd very much appreciate that as long as it wouldn't put you out - PM me if you're sure. 

Eggy. Squeezing in the vice gets it near enough so as a temporary solution I'll epoxy it. 

2001 ZX-6R
Attachments:

Pink Thing 05 Feb 2022 12:19 #861840

• calum
  • User
No worries. I'll go through the box tomorrow and get in touch.

Pink Thing 06 Feb 2022 10:39 #861883

• calum
  • User
Can't put images in a PM so here are some pics. I don't have enough parts to put together a set of meters so whatever you want is yours. Whatever ghostdive doesn't take is up for grabs.

One speedo has no trip meter, the other is complete but has a trip meter knob pinched from a 550 that sticks out too far. The tach should be good, the face plate with the voltmeter is damaged. 
All four backing plates (what you are actually looking for) are intact and in good nick. Just a question of with signal lights or without. Shoudl probably double check the dimensions - what diameter is the cracked plate you have now? 

Attachments:

Last edit: by calum.

Pink Thing 06 Feb 2022 10:49 #861884

• calum
  • User
Also have some old covers if you need them. Tach cover is primed and has a bit of filler around the inside mounting hole (dodgy filler from yours truly). Blasted the primer off the outside of the speedo cover but gave up trying to get the paint off the inside (2k primer and a weak compressor).  

Attachments:

Pink Thing 06 Feb 2022 11:00 #861885

• ghostdive
  • User
100mm measuring around the raised area of the backing plate. I'm hesitant to open the speedo before it's necessary, but one of yours with the signals may work - mine has a neutral and high beam indicator inside, so maybe I'd be able to just swap the colored pieces. 

As for the backing plates, I think I'll pass - the ones I've got, while a little rough, fit the gauges well. 

2001 ZX-6R
Attachments:

Pink Thing 06 Feb 2022 11:35 #861886

• calum
  • User
Looks like we have a match :) The signal light unit just unscrews from the backing plate (the JIS screws right next to the lights). So you can just reuse the unit from your speedo.
Unfortunately the part is over 3cm high so it will be $20 shipping. I can go up to 2kg for that (l + w + h under 90cm) so if there's any other 750 parts you need it might make it a bit more worthwhile.

EDIT: Just noticed that your speedo has an extra light on the right hand side of your photo. What is that for?

Attachments:

Pink Thing 06 Feb 2022 12:14 #861887

• ghostdive
  • User
The top two lights are illumination, bottom two are neutral and high beam, the smaller hole is a pass through for the red and green wires which terminate here:
Looking at the wiring diagram I'm reasonably certain that it's the distance sensor for the auto-cancelling turn signals, which I've never had working anyway, so I'll either drill a hole for that or just omit it. 

As for other parts, off the top of my head all that I can think of are front signal stalks (as on a standard model) and a crankcase breather hose (that routs up into the airbox). If it's not too heavy, maybe a starter solenoid, I've got a universal one that's very large. 

2001 ZX-6R
Attachments:

Pink Thing 06 Feb 2022 12:18 #861889

• calum
  • User
I have a breather hose, slightly cracked at the bottom but usable. I'm still using the original starter relay on mine and the 750H has the indicators on the handlebars so no help there either. PM me your address, I'll send the stuff off and we can talk about you buying me a beer if I'm ever over your way.