Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1979 KZ650 - Baby Steps to a Running Bike 18 Dec 2021 11:12 #859273

• CMcAuliffe
  • CMcAuliffe's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Looking for advice from those who have done it before...

Bought the bike for a project. The Electrical forum here helped me to get proper spark (thanks, guys), but the use of transparent fuel lines proved I wasn't getting enough fuel during cranking, and what there was of it was filthy. Carbs are off and I'm rebuilding them. One at a time they are being disassembled, spending 12 hours+ in a Gunk carb cleaner bucket, brushed with a toothbrush where I can reach, rinsed in warm water, and blown out with compressed air through every orifice I can find. 

Question: Is it worth it to get an ultrasonic cleaner? Some videos I've seen of before and after show they don't look any better than what I got with the dip, which doesn't give me a ton of confidence they are superior in cleaning out the insides any better. I know I also have to watch what I use for a cleaning agent, since some can attack the aluminum. It looks like I'll have to spend $150-$200 for a cleaner with a heater and some cleaning agent. Would I have a use for it beyond the carbs? Beyond the bike? I'd need to justify the cost to the wifey...

Also: while trying to get it to start, I performed compression and leak down tests. For compression, cylinders 1-4 read: 145, 120, 140, and barely over 30psi. So #4 is a dead cylinder.
On the leak down test, I didn't exactly have the motor at TDC. I just rotated it until the pressure in the cylinder started to increase. I would rotate through the cycle a couple of times to try to get accurate/consistent readings. This might not be the superior way of doing it, since I think my loss percentage readings were a little wonky in relation to my compression test results. Cylinder 1, which had the best compression, leaked the most at 65%, mostly through the exhaust. 2 was at 45%, mostly through the rings. 3 was 35%, mostly through the rings. And 4 was at 60%, mostly through the exhaust. So, while I'm sure there's carbon on those exhaust valves, I'm pretty sure those cylinders need attention, too. The odometer reads 28,300. I'll bet that's at least 128,300.

Question: Once I get the carbs as put together/functioning as best I can on the bench, should I put them aside and then go straight to a top-end rebuild? That's where I think I'm headed. Everything needs attention, I'm just trying to only do a little at a time so I don't create a parts farm.

Thanks,
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1979 KZ650 - Baby Steps to a Running Bike 18 Dec 2021 11:19 #859274

• Mikaw
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1853
Has the bike been sitting a while? The ring could just be stuck in the piston groves. While your working on the carbs put some Marvel mystery oil into the cylinders. Let them soak. You may also have a little corrosion on a valve if it had been sitting open a while. If you have a borescope you could look inside to see what’s going on. But the easiest course of action while you are working on the carbs is to try and free up or lubricate a possible stock piston ring.

As far as the ultrasonic cleaner that’s the similar question to asking what is the best oil. Everyone will have their own opinion as to what works best for them. I have never used one so I have no idea how the results are. I have good luck with soaking in Barrymans carb dip, and then spraying and cleaning everything out with brake cleaner.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Last edit: by Mikaw.

1979 KZ650 - Baby Steps to a Running Bike 18 Dec 2021 11:22 #859275

• Skidmark
  • User
  • Thank you received: 260
Poor fuel delivery to the carbs, and what was getting there was dirty?  I would address the inside of the fuel tank while you are at it.  Empty the tank, pull the petcock and check/flush the insides of the tank.  The screen on the petcock is probably full of debris as well.
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2
'87 Suzuki Savage 650 Street Tracker
The following user(s) said Thank You: Warren3200gt

1979 KZ650 - Baby Steps to a Running Bike 18 Dec 2021 11:26 #859276

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 655
An ultra sonic cleaner if used properly will make your carbs spotless inside and out including all the small critical passages. DO Not mix components from one carb with components from another. Bench sync them and set the bowl fuel level accurately using the wet method.

135 - 140psi is not to bad as I assume they are cold readings. Probably would equate to 150+ on a warm engine which is how it should be done with the throttle fully open or better still no carbs fitted. . One low cylinder is likely a mis read!/sticky ring / valve and needs checking again.

As Skidmark said, old dirty fuel is pointless trying to use and will mess your efforts with the carbs instantly. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

1979 KZ650 - Baby Steps to a Running Bike 18 Dec 2021 12:59 #859279

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2672
I would not spend the money on the ultrasonic.  Carb dip works far better for deep cleaning.  The only thing the ultrasonic will do is clean off any oily residue left behind from the carb dip.

I recommend shooting carb dip spray though all the passages and making sure none are blocked.

Regarding the low compression, did you adjust the valves yet?  Chances are fair that #4 has tight valves causing compression loss.  Soaking in MMO is a good call.  Adjust the valves and put some good hard miles on the engine.  Only then will you know the true compression situation.

1979 KZ650 - Baby Steps to a Running Bike 19 Dec 2021 11:32 #859307

• CMcAuliffe
  • CMcAuliffe's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks for the input. I've put some MMO in the cylinders and in the valley where the cams sit and will let it soak a day or two.
The petcock filter looked clear to me, but while I await parts for the carbs I'll address the tank, which has some surface inside.

1979 KZ650 - Baby Steps to a Running Bike 19 Dec 2021 11:37 #859308

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2672

Thanks for the input. I've put some MMO in the cylinders and in the valley where the cams sit and will let it soak a day or two.
The petcock filter looked clear to me, but while I await parts for the carbs I'll address the tank, which has some surface inside.

Be sure to adjust the valves before trying to start the bike again.  If the valves are hanging open you will just cause more damage by running it further.

1979 KZ650 - Baby Steps to a Running Bike 19 Dec 2021 16:20 #859321

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2051
Here is a good way to insure a really clean fuel tank.

www.kwick.biz/how-to-flush-your-fuel-tank/
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

1979 KZ650 - Baby Steps to a Running Bike 20 Dec 2021 14:40 #859379

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

For some reason that link doesn't work for me.
"This site can’t be reached"

1979 KZ650 - Baby Steps to a Running Bike 20 Dec 2021 15:32 #859384

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member

For some reason that link doesn't work for me.
"This site can’t be reached"

Weird. It works fine for me. Here is the home page address for that site.
www.kwick.biz

Go to Kwick’s Corner and scroll down a bit.

1979 KZ650 - Baby Steps to a Running Bike 21 Dec 2021 08:32 #859411

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Thanks.  That link works now. Maybe it was down briefly.

1979 KZ650 - Baby Steps to a Running Bike 21 Dec 2021 08:35 #859412

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member

Thanks.  That link works now. Maybe it was down briefly.
Solar flares? Global warming? Midget zombie apocalypse?

• Page: