Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ1000A1 Spare Parts Project 29 Dec 2021 09:19 #859764

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 503

Anyone have any photos of where the tool case goes? Didn't have one on the bike but you can get replika ones pretty cheap so might be worth it.

Another note on the tool tray.  The one in my Z1R photos is a reproduction.  It seems well made.  Looking at photos of the OE part, one obvious difference is that the OE part has drain holes and the reproduction does not.  That seems pretty easy to fix.

4into1.com/tool-tray-kawasaki-kz1000-ltd-police-z1r-1977-1981/
ebay.com/itm/224413126718

If someone was being really picky, the ejector pin marks on the OE part are not on the reproduction.  So if you happen to be holding both versions it would be pretty obvious.  But I'm happy with the reproduction.

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: calum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1000A1 Spare Parts Project 29 Dec 2021 09:48 #859766

• calum
  • calum's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 381
I'm not too worried about replica parts. The fenders, indicators and headlight will all be repro. OE parts are just too expensive or in the case of the fenders, very hard to find in good condition. 
I want this thing to look the part, but it's going to be ridden - or sold if the better half wins ;)

KZ1000A1 Spare Parts Project 30 Dec 2021 11:00 #859831

• calum
  • User
Got my christmas parcel from my favourite KZ parts guy yesterday. Took it over to the garage and unpacked it, when I got back the CMS parts were on the doorstep.

Almost all the parts are replicas as they were comparitively cheap. The bike was pretty beaten up when I got it and a lot of stuff was bent beyond repair (front fender, headlight, clocks, indicators, left side footrests were missing, side stand was bent, crankcase was cracked...). I got a new crankcase with it and have had the frame straightened, but all the other parts need to be replaced. Have found a few things on ebay over the last year, but most of the parts below were cheaper than anything I could find there. I'm kicking myself now for having sold the Giuliari seat - I was sure I'd only put an original seat on it, but that was when I planned to do an all original resto.. Live and learn I guess.

I did splash out on the shocks. After a year of riding with Hagons on the 750 there was no way I was going through that again (awful shocks). The bike originally had Z1R shocks on it that will hopefully make it onto one of DOHC's bikes sometime.

Attachments:

Last edit: by calum.

KZ1000A1 Spare Parts Project 31 Dec 2021 21:17 #859875

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member

The bike originally had Z1R shocks on it that will hopefully make it onto one of DOHC's bikes sometime.

They sure will.  Thanks again!  I'd offer to send you the KZ1000A shocks that are on my dad's Z1R, but it looks like you're all set.  :)
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

KZ1000A1 Spare Parts Project 10 Jan 2022 10:13 #860344

• calum
  • User
Got the last of the missing parts together for powder coating - was missing the centre stand and the left footrest bracket. Still missing the battery bracket but I'll get a new reproduction so it won't need coating. 
Is the frame originally gloss black or is it a satin finish?

KZ1000A1 Spare Parts Project 10 Jan 2022 11:23 #860351

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member

Is the frame originally gloss black or is it a satin finish?
I've never seen a KZ frame that wasn't at least 15 years old, but the Z1R book I have by Tony Sculpher says the frame is gloss black.  I don't see why the A1 and D2 frame would be different.

My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
Attachments:

Last edit: by DOHC.

KZ1000A1 Spare Parts Project 10 Jan 2022 13:02 #860359

• calum
  • User
Sweet, thanks. 
It looks like the top triples, handlebar clamps and the taillight bracket should be satin black and the rest should be gloss black. 
I'm still leaning towards doing everything in satin - not original but it looks pretty good on the 750 and the engine and tank stand out more against the satin when compared to gloss.

KZ1000A1 Spare Parts Project 10 Jan 2022 13:48 #860365

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member

calum post=860359Sweet, thanks. 
It looks like the top triples, handlebar clamps and the taillight bracket should be satin black and the rest should be gloss black. 

Don't forget the brake calipers.  Those are definitely satin.

I'm still leaning towards doing everything in satin - not original but it looks pretty good on the 750 and the engine and tank stand out more against the satin when compared to gloss.

I've definitely noticed some restored bikes with frames that look too glossy.  It may be correct, but it's not what I'm used to seeing so it looks odd and stands out.

My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

KZ1000A1 Spare Parts Project 10 Jan 2022 21:11 #860387

• calum
  • User
The brake calipers aren't getting coated - I'll get the spray gun out for them.
As for the powder coating, I don't have too many options - just gloss or quite a Matt satin finish (seen below on the Zephyr frame). I'll probably go with the satin. I could go somewhere else, but I know these guys do an excellent job and unfortunately that isn't always the case. 

Attachments:

Last edit: by calum.

KZ1000A1 Spare Parts Project 11 Jan 2022 06:07 #860398

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member

As for the powder coating, I don't have too many options - just gloss or quite a Matt satin finish (seen below on the Zephyr frame). I'll probably go with the satin. I could go somewhere else, but I know these guys do an excellent job and unfortunately that isn't always the case. 

Have you asked if they can order something specific for you?  The last time I had something powder coated they offered 4 or 5 different gloss levels for black, and I had the impression that the powder supplier they used had more options.  They even had samples made up so I could compare them to my original finish.
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Last edit: by DOHC.

KZ1000A1 Spare Parts Project 11 Jan 2022 10:10 #860407

• calum
  • User
The paint on the frame and swingarm is in pretty good nick, I'll see if I can get them to match that gloss level.

KZ1000A1 Spare Parts Project 13 Jan 2022 08:51 #860480

• calum
  • User
Just packed everything into the car to take to the powder coaters tomorrow. 
Got a 2nd hand seat with an OK pan and good foam, the cover was ripped but I got a used reproduction pretty cheap as well. Will strip and paint the pan, reuse the foam and put the cover on myself. Trying to keep the cost down on this as I'm still not sure if I want to put a Giuliari on it. 

Did some repair work on the pan today. There are a couple of nicks furthur along the same edge, but the edge is solid so I'm just leaving it as is.

Attachments: