Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Where do you start? 07 Dec 2021 06:44 #858720

• Webbie1
  • Webbie1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
I recently posted some photos of my 79 KZ1000 LTD project bike.  I sometimes just look at it and wonder "Where do I START?". 

When I first bought it a couple of years ago, I pulled out the rusting battery box and media plasted and powder coated it. 

I also largely cleaned up the inside of the gas tank with Metal Rescue (I believe I should do this again, to finish up....I save the 2 gallons that I used, but not sure how to "refresh" it or if it's done what it will do and I need to buy more?).

And I pulled the carbs off and pulled them apart, labeling each piece and putting them into zip lock bags and took photos.

But beyond that, I'm not really sure what the best way to attack this project IS.   When I look at it, I just want to tear it all apart and media blast and paint (or powder coat) the frame.  It seems that when it's all apart like that, it's a good time to replace any bearings that need replacing, and possibly weld in any bracing (is that REALLY necessary?)

Just looking for some tips on how you guys start a project like this in some type of logical, productive order......all comments are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Warner
1979 KZ1000 LTD, 1982 KZ1000 LTD, 1990 Honda CBR1000F

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Where do you start? 07 Dec 2021 07:32 #858724

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
  • Thank you received: 265
webbie,
   I recently wrapped up my wife's bike   www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/614473...1100-refresh-upgrade
and what I did was strip the bike down to the frame, engine & wiring harness. New pieces were appropriated over time & others were refurbished... 1 step at a time. It's kinda like alcoholics anonymous, but for motorcycle people!
Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit
Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods
The following user(s) said Thank You: Webbie1

Where do you start? 07 Dec 2021 08:02 #858727

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1460
If it's a resto or straight rebuild i start with rebuilding the engine then do the frame, fit the engine in the frame and go from there with suspension and wheels to get it rolling and then all the periphials,brakes, electrics etc and bodywork usually last.
If it's a special etc which most of mine are then the bike gets built at least twice or more.
First time or two is dry build and mock up with the major parts to make sure everything lines up and misses any additonal bracing etc and the final build follows the same path as a straight rebuild.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: by zed1015.

Where do you start? 07 Dec 2021 08:44 #858728

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 655
Everyone has their own priority sequence and it depends on what your building as zed1015 said.
Personally, I like to do the hardest/biggest bits first. Generally paint and engine as I do everything myself then restore/mod each part as it's taken off the bike. When there's nowt left to dismantle and restore it takes only a couple of days from a pile of restored parts to a finished bike. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Where do you start? 07 Dec 2021 09:04 #858729

• ckahleer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 133
I like to get the bike running and "around the block" ridable, with the least time and money as possible, just to know what I got and better understand its needs, before refurbing.
The neighbors are used to seeing me riding bikes around with no tank, seat, or covers. Just a plastic fuel bottle hanging from the handle bars. I usually make it back home.
94 KE100
81 CM200t
82 KZ305
79 KZ400
85 VT 500c
85 VF1100c
The following user(s) said Thank You: cb900f, scubaanders, Webbie1

Where do you start? 07 Dec 2021 09:22 #858731

• Webbie1
  • User
Great responses.  Thanks guys.   In my mind, it seems the way to do it is to disassemble everything, and refurb/refinish pieces as they come off.  Finally ending with the frame, with a bunch of refurbed / refinished parts to put back on it after the frame gets blasted and coated (paint or powder).  

What bearings are definitely replace items?

Regarding the engine, my initial thought is to have to top end done.  New pistons/rings, cylinder hone, valves.  But not necessarily touch the bottom end.  Make sense?

Carbs I want gone through from top to bottom.  I honestly don't feel qualified to do this myself.  Maybe it's just fear.   If I choose to send those out, where is a good place to send them?

Thanks again,

Warner

Where do you start? 07 Dec 2021 09:40 #858732

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 503

In my mind, it seems the way to do it is to disassemble everything, and refurb/refinish pieces as they come off.  Finally ending with the frame, with a bunch of refurbed / refinished parts to put back on it after the frame gets blasted and coated (paint or powder).  

Have you done this before with a motorcycle (100% tear down and restore).  It can take years to finish a project like that, and many many folks never make it to the end before losing interest.  It seems like it's already been in your hands for a few years, as you mention.

Personally, I would focus on the basic mechanical function and safety components, and then ride it.  If you really love it, go all out.  If not, you have a good ready to ride bike that should be easy to sell.  If the first thing you do it create a giant mount of parts, it's a ton of time and work to get out of the project.  Even parting it out is a ton of work.  It's much easier to sell a fully assembled bike.

I've never been hung up looks.  I focus on function.  As you already have done, I have repainted many rusty battery boxes.  And you already started on the carbs. 

Assuming you think the engine internals are not damaged, I would do a valve adjustment and call the engine done for now.  19k is low for these engines.  My Z1R has 45k miles on it and runs great.

I would focus on the following:
* steering head bearings
* swing arm bearings
* front brake system 
* rear brake system 
* tires
* carbs
* valve adjustment
* timing check

The only other thing I'd look at is to check the wiring harness for obvious damage or hacking/modifications, just to make sure there aren't any real obvious issues.

When that's done just ride it, warts and all, and see if it's a keeper.
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skidmark, Mc Tavish, Webbie1

Last edit: by DOHC.

Where do you start? 07 Dec 2021 11:01 #858736

• willemZ900
  • User
  • Z1B 4 ever
  • Thank you received: 52
When i bought my 1975 Z in 1984 i just ride it for one year and then shit happens and i had to do the pistons and valves. After that i refurbished the carbs and the bike runs great. Went on holidays to Italy and French (from the netherlands) In all those years until now i changed a lot on the bike but every part was like new when installed. Never problems but.. i never did the frame,  so this year November i disassembled the bike  to do the frame. After some bracing work it lays now at the powder coater. Althought the bike runs great i found several little thing to renew. You always find more than you think on those old bikes. So disassembling is a lot of work, start with the essential as DOHC already said and start riding the bike. And if you like it and want to restore it, go to your local bank for a loan because a Z is a beautiful but not cheap project
Good luck

Last edit: by willemZ900.

Where do you start? 07 Dec 2021 13:21 #858748

• seanbarney41
  • User
  • '79 kz1000 LTD '75 Honda CB750
  • Thank you received: 23

In my mind, it seems the way to do it is to disassemble everything, and refurb/refinish pieces as they come off.  Finally ending with the frame, with a bunch of refurbed / refinished parts to put back on it after the frame gets blasted and coated (paint or powder).  

Have you done this before with a motorcycle (100% tear down and restore).  It can take years to finish a project like that, and many many folks never make it to the end before losing interest.  It seems like it's already been in your hands for a few years, as you mention.

Personally, I would focus on the basic mechanical function and safety components, and then ride it.  If you really love it, go all out.  If not, you have a good ready to ride bike that should be easy to sell.  If the first thing you do it create a giant mount of parts, it's a ton of time and work to get out of the project.  Even parting it out is a ton of work.  It's much easier to sell a fully assembled bike.

I've never been hung up looks.  I focus on function.  As you already have done, I have repainted many rusty battery boxes.  And you already started on the carbs. 

Assuming you think the engine internals are not damaged, I would do a valve adjustment and call the engine done for now.  19k is low for these engines.  My Z1R has 45k miles on it and runs great.

I would focus on the following:
* steering head bearings
* swing arm bearings
* front brake system 
* rear brake system 
* tires
* carbs
* valve adjustment
* timing check

The only other thing I'd look at is to check the wiring harness for obvious damage or hacking/modifications, just to make sure there aren't any real obvious issues.

When that's done just ride it, warts and all, and see if it's a keeper.
This is bonafide gospel right here.

Where do you start? 07 Dec 2021 15:41 #858756

• Skidmark
  • User
  • Thank you received: 260
My tear down to the frame was necessary due to the bike sitting for so long, and being retired I didn't have an aggressive build schedule.  It took me 2-1/2 years before riding it the first time.  I immediately found small issues, and went right back to taking somethings apart to correct.  If it comes all the way down to the frame, and you are committed to finishing and riding it no matter how long/how much it takes, bracing is a good idea.  I did it to mine (KZ750) because I was already planning to powder coat it.  Getting the frame or suspension stiffer or handling better than stock at that point is kind of a no brainer.  Set some ownership goals, choose your path, and post away (with pics!).
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2
'87 Suzuki Savage 650 Street Tracker

Where do you start? 07 Dec 2021 15:44 #858758

• Webbie1
  • User
This is great advice.  The main reason that I haven't put much effort in is largely due to me not having the title.  It just seemed like a big hassle.  The thought that this duplicate title is probably going to happen has me thinking about it more seriously now...

Warner

Where do you start? 07 Dec 2021 22:48 #858776

• Skidmark
  • User
  • Thank you received: 260
I wouldn't invest much into it until you have a clean title in hand.  Don't ask me how I know...  
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2
'87 Suzuki Savage 650 Street Tracker

• Page: