Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1973 Z1 Maui 27 Jul 2021 15:21 #852649

• MauiZ1
  • MauiZ1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19
Aloha allI’ve found a 1973 Z1 here on Maui. Build date was 10/72. The bike was in rough shape, missing many parts and not running. It was originally sold in BC Canada and brought here by the second owner many years ago (I bought it from him). He lost interest and moved on to Harley Davidson, which comprises most of the motorcycle scene here. A few years ago I restored my K3 750 Honda I bought from the original owner, it was a fun project. I didn’t think I’d do another vintage bike but here I am. I have a three going over at the SOHC forum and I’ll keep this one going too.Right now I’m on hold waiting for carb parts so I can run the engine prior to taking it apart, the parts are some hard to find stuff coming from Germany. I’ve removed a lot of the peripheral stuff and started on painting small things. I use POR15 for most of the black things, the frame will be done that way after media blast. The motor will get VHT black after what promises to be a difficult paint and corrosion removal process. I won’t be doing any media blasting on the motor, it scares me.ive been finding as much NOS stuff as I can, so far I’ve sourced fenders, the grab rail and some small stuff, none of it cheap. Being that I am here on Maui in our marine environment I will be doing some things to help slow down the effects of our salt air. The final goal will look like a UK market Z1 with the green and yellow colors. I have the original tank but it was severely damaged in a divorce dispute (I think). I have a long way to go including taking the engine apart to check it out, it was bored first over in 2009, I spoke with the machinist that did the work and I think it will check out ok. The exterior work has been found to be lacking, I’m going to go through all of it. I’ll post a few photos here including one of my K3, I call it “stock ISS” because it’s a 73 in 70 livery since that’s what my K0 1970 CB750 looked like back in the day when I bought it (in 1970). 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

1973 Z1 Maui 27 Jul 2021 15:27 #852650

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 583
Looks like a great resto platform!  Watching with interest.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

1973 Z1 Maui 27 Jul 2021 15:30 #852651

• MauiZ1
  • User
I’m using Marsdens book as a guide to get it as right as I can, some of my missing parts are very hard to find. It was missing the original cam chain adjuster, it had a manual one. I bought a NOS adjuster from a 74.
I will also dual disc it, right now it has an EBC disc that is pretty ugly, I’ll use stock equipment to put the duals on, I may get the drilled just for the look and improved wet performance.
Stock type repop exhaust will be on it as well as stock type tires.

1973 Z1 Maui 27 Jul 2021 15:31 #852652

• MauiZ1
  • User
Slmjim
i have to ask, where did your avatar come from, it’s awesome!

1973 Z1 Maui 27 Jul 2021 16:02 #852655

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 583

Slmjim
i have to ask, where did your avatar come from, it’s awesome!
So as not to hijack this thread, we'll post a reply in a new one.  Your thread on this bike's project deserves focus.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

1973 Z1 Maui 27 Jul 2021 17:48 #852660

• Bent Trigger
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Nice bike and setup! Are plating or de-rustingI l  also want to know the back story on SJ&Z avitar!! That bike has probably traveled more miles by boat than on land!! Good Luck and Can't wait to see how she turns out!! Chris

Last edit: by Bent Trigger.

1973 Z1 Maui 27 Jul 2021 18:03 #852661

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843
Great find. If your truly looking to duel disc, don’t unless you can find the correct master cylinder. Aslo pay attention to the disc date codes. 

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
Attachments:

1973 Z1 Maui 28 Jul 2021 04:08 #852678

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
I heard about you and this bike from a friend (Frank) who lives in BC, as I do.  We are both members of the same vintage bike group here in BC.  He said you might be attending a bike show and shine here in early September?

By far the best guide for an early Z1 restoration is John Brooke's book.  If you can't find a copy, I have a spare.  You might also want to look at joining this group.  www.kawasaki-z-classik.com/forum/index.php
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

1973 Z1 Maui 28 Jul 2021 08:30 #852697

• MauiZ1
  • User
I'm doing some small parts plating trying to keep it as original as possible. There isn't a plater here and I dread shipping a box of stuff to get lost.
I also have done some rust removal in a different bucket, takes time but works well.
I won't be coming to BC but I'd love to, travel right now is something I want to avoid, even though we are all vaccinated in our house.
As for discs, I don't have any stock disks, the one that was on it is an EBC I believe so I need to look for all the parts. There is a complete kit that may solve the problem, it has a master cylinder included. I did my K3 750 Honda and used the stock MC and it worked fine, has a little more travel but will not bottom out, pretty good feel for such an old setup.
I'm going to check the book out.
Hopefully we'll see and hear it run soon so I can take it all apart.

1973 Z1 Maui 28 Jul 2021 08:33 #852698

• MauiZ1
  • User
Is there a link to John Brooke's book? I'd like to try and get one. I don't see it on Amazon

1973 Z1 Maui 28 Jul 2021 09:43 #852703

• BohicaBob
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 34
When I was looking for a '73 Z1-900, I found one that was parked and rusting in the rain in Keanae!  I ended up buying my '73 Z1-1 from a sailor in Pearl Harbor in 12/1974 - flew over to Honolulu with helmet and gloves, cash, etc.  Pal picked me up at the airport, drove me over to Pearl Harbor where I paid for the Z1 and rode it to Honolulu International Airport where a high school pal who worked for Aloha Airlines helped me drain the gas from the tank and carbs, put the bike on a wooden pallet and load it into the belly of an Aloha Airlines 737.  I got on that plane along with other passengers.  On Maui, a brother of mine met me at the airport with gas and I rode it home.  I continue to improve this  bike over the decades. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bent Trigger

Last edit: by BohicaBob.

1973 Z1 Maui 28 Jul 2021 11:40 #852707

• urankjj
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 192
The book appears to be out of print, more from this site.  Kawasaki Z1 - Z1B Restorer's Parts Book (webs.com)    That looks lake a solid Z-1and a great project. Also your post brings back memories of Maui as I lived there for 6 yr's in the 90's. And I had also had my Kawi crated up and shipped over to Maui from Alaska. I fortunately lived upcountry above Makawao, so I was more out of the salt air. I didn't ride it to often, and just drag raced it sometimes at Maui raceway park. I am truly thankful to have lived in that slice of paradise. Good luck on your project, can't wait to see more of it.   Here is a pic of my KZ where I lived near Olinda..

Attachment not found

Attachments:

Last edit: by urankjj. Reason: pic