Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Wayne Gardner tribute {not replica} 08 Nov 2021 12:35 #857663

• 750 R1
  • 750 R1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394

Great looking bike and uniquely yours 

Its been a bit slow of late, a real pain making everything fit and getting the time to do it all, Its getting there though....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wayne Gardner tribute {not replica} 06 Dec 2021 14:04 #858693

• 750 R1
  • User
Well I have a slight change of plans for the time being, I'm struggling to find a cap for the large Z1R tank, so rather than modify it to fit a different cap, and making it worthless, I've procured a small tank with cap. I have 2 sets of bodywork now, so until I work out what I'm doing with the cap situation, I'll be painting the first set, with the small tank,  black. I've also added a couple of braces and finally welded the mounts for the side covers. I ended up having to cut off some of the locating tabs off the side covers and use threaded inserts just to be able to use the Z1R side covers. I also found out that the rear wheel bearings are the same size as lower steering head bearing outer race, So I tapped it into place to avoid any distortion to the bearing area while the new steering lock tabs were welded in. None of the welds are perfect , but they'll do, this is a relatively budget build after all....!    

The new look for the time being.

Mounts

Steering stops

I'm still waiting for some engine parts to come from the UK, unfortunately due to covid, things have been really hard to get sorted...
Attachments:

Last edit: by 750 R1.

Wayne Gardner tribute {not replica} 06 Dec 2021 14:24 #858695

• gazzz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 313

Well I have a slight change of plans for the time being, I'm struggling to find a cap for the large Z1R tank, so rather than modify it to fit a different cap, and making it worthless, I've procured a small tank with cap. I have 2 sets of bodywork now, so until I work out what I'm doing with the cap situation, I'll be painting the first set, with the small tank,  black.

Sounds familiar. Things tend to pile up during projects.  As I could see, you also procured Honda CBX550!
Kawasaki KZ650 cafe-racer: in progress

Kawasaki Zephyr 750 (810ccm, 4in4, spoked wheels)
Honda CB815 "Eight Fifteen" cafe-racer
Yamaha XJ "Eight Ball" cafe-racer

www.gazzz-garage.com

Wayne Gardner tribute {not replica} 06 Dec 2021 14:27 #858696

• 750 R1
  • User
I'm working on my bike at a friends place Gazzz, the 550 isn't mine, but there's all sorts of goodies there, 2 Rickmans, a couple of very nice 750/4 honda's and everything from tiger fireblades to GPZ1100's, Lots of cool race stuff too, I really enjoy hanging out there...!!

Wayne Gardner tribute {not replica} 20 Dec 2021 03:30 #859332

• 750 R1
  • User
Well I finally got a chance to do a bit on my bike. Started out mocking up the wheel house. I fitted the headlight properly, stuck some rags under the gauges just to see where I wanted them to sit, The triple clamps I'm using had 2 threaded holes that lined up with the GPZ gauge mounts, so I trimmed the mounts to suit, drilled a couple of holes and they mounted straight up, I really think they suit the look of the bike. What do you think ?  I'm also using early Z900 controls, they are small and neat...
Also a couple of pics of a nice GT750 that was keeping me company.

The pics are out of order but you'll work it out.  I've still got a few small modifications to do to the top triple to finish it off.
Getting there slowly..!
Attachments:

Wayne Gardner tribute {not replica} 21 Dec 2021 11:56 #859425

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1781
Later clocks look well on it
The following user(s) said Thank You: 750 R1

Wayne Gardner tribute {not replica} 21 Dec 2021 14:30 #859432

• 750 R1
  • User

Later clocks look well on it

Yeah, I really like them...

Wayne Gardner tribute {not replica} 03 Jan 2022 19:28 #859987

• 750 R1
  • User
Finally managed to get back to the bike, i've given up on the stock fuel cap, I've wasted far too much time searching the corners of the internet for one, I've decided to go with a dump filler/dry brake looking set up. I did a bit of a mock up with a cardboard template yesterday . I loathe to cut a hole in the tank but since i'll be keeping this bike I'm getting more comfortable with the idea. I'll use two 80mm aircraft style filler caps like the one in the pic below... 

Attachments:

Wayne Gardner tribute {not replica} 06 Jan 2022 18:11 #860124

• rich67
  • User
  • Thank you received: 42
Hey Mick, I have the same quick fill I bought years ago with the same problem of finding a cap for the same tank, eventually I was able to locate a cap but since then they have skyrocketed in price as you know. I had the same idea of putting the quick fill and bought the same one , I must say its the perfect shape tank for a quick fill and had i not found one I would have done the same . I still have my quick fill and will be using eventually or selling . 

Wayne Gardner tribute {not replica} 06 Jan 2022 19:52 #860127

• 750 R1
  • User

Hey Mick, I have the same quick fill I bought years ago with the same problem of finding a cap for the same tank, eventually I was able to locate a cap but since then they have skyrocketed in price as you know. I had the same idea of putting the quick fill and bought the same one , I must say its the perfect shape tank for a quick fill and had i not found one I would have done the same . I still have my quick fill and will be using eventually or selling . 
Hi Rich, did you buy it from Chris at motogpwerks ?  If so, could you give me the dimensions of the main alloy top piece as that would be all I need. I know a guy that has computer cnc machines and I'm thinking of making my own, well, having him make the  top for me, I want to fit the caps I pictured above it, all i know is that its 220mm long and 120mm wide, I need to know all the other obvious dimensions but don't want to bother Chris for them.... Also, would you know what grade of alloy its made from ? 6061 maybe...
Thanks mate...

Wayne Gardner tribute {not replica} 06 Jan 2022 20:12 #860130

• rich67
  • User
  • Thank you received: 42
Yes i bought it from Chris many years ago . I will get to it tomorrow and send you pics and dimensions . It is very well made Dry Break ,as every thing he makes is . Cheers

Last edit: by rich67.

Wayne Gardner tribute {not replica} 06 Jan 2022 21:07 #860131

• 750 R1
  • User

Yes i bought it from Chris many years ago . I will get to it tomorrow and send you pics and dimensions . It is very well made Dry Break ,as every thing he makes is . Cheers
Yeah, I've bought a bit of stuff of Chris over the years, all very good quality.