My shocks turned up today, I have some clevis fittings to suit the GS swingarm, will test fit tomorrow.
These shocks are Chinese, They are an Ohlins copy and are very well made, We have already pulled one set of these apart to see what they were like, My friend has a set on his Honda CB 750, They have threaded preload , 16 position compression and and 24 position rebound damping. The damping all works as it should and these are relatively easy to set up. They should look good on the bike... Also the shims for the front wheel bearings arrived, I can get pics of those later if anyone is interested.
Well I did some test fitting of body work today, lots of little adjustments to be made to the frame. I need to start by mounting the tank where I want it , I may have to do a bit a of panel work on the underside to give me a little more clearance..
Above is pics of the bodywork on using the R1 seat, you can see there needs to be a bit of work to make it all fit, the Z1R tank is a bit shorter than the R1 tank, so the seat mounts will have to be moved forward, I have stripped the seat down to the bare pan, the R1 seat is about 20mm too wide, so I plan on cutting a section out full length on both sides and have it plastic welded back together, It will be a bit tricky but it will work. The KZ1000MKII tail I'm using is not as wide as the R1 tailpiece and the Z1R tank is also narrower. I'll have to do some surgery on the tailpiece too, the seat rubbers that sit on the frame hit the side pieces but again, it should be an easy fix...
You can see above that there's a bit of work to make the pan fit with the tail.I also stuck on one shock just to see what they looked like, I think I like them...!
I have to lengthen the steering stem 10mm, it almost fit without alteration but anyway, I didn't want to remove the bottom clamp to cut the stem so we put it in the lathe an, we then realised that it couldn't be cut because the bottom clamp was in the way, so I suggested a pipe cutter, so we put the lathe on its slowest speed and used the pipe cutter to cut the stem in half, It also left a nice beveled edge for welding...
I also test fitted the handle bar risers in the Triumph top triple, they look good i think, and are lower than the stock Triumph ones, the Triumph triple clamps are quality pieces , they look custom from the factory..