Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Father Sonish 1974 KZ400 15 Feb 2022 12:00 #862423

• Wez
  • Wez's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Father Sonish 1974 KZ400 15 Feb 2022 12:03 #862424

• Wez
  • User
Attachments:

Father Sonish 1974 KZ400 15 Feb 2022 12:09 #862425

• Wez
  • User
Added some progress images to show the slow winter progress.  I'll get my son back on wrenching soon.  The new low handle bar looks nice.  Slowly getting used to it compared to the higher vintage bar.  If my shoulders get pounded then I'll switch back to the high bar.  But for now I'm loving the look so far.  Starting to sit in my basement and 'daydream' about all the upcoming adventures.

Father Sonish 1974 KZ400 15 Feb 2022 12:59 #862430

• ghostdive
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
Very very cool...you're making me want a 400!
1982 KZ750 Spectre - 6 speed swap, BS34s, 18" rear wheel

2001 ZX-6R

Father Sonish 1974 KZ400 16 Feb 2022 08:56 #862458

• Skidmark
  • User
  • Thank you received: 260
Please take the time to clean the areas to be welded before hand.  Even bare steel should be ground shiny.  It will improve the strength of your welds.  Contaminated welds may look smooth on the surface, but if you grind into them you will find it looks like swiss cheese inside.  Any and all contaminates need to be removed prior to welding.

Sorry for the rant - I used to certify aerospace welders at my shop.  Too many hobby welders don't take the time to properly prep the areas to be welded.  
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2
'87 Suzuki Savage 650 Street Tracker
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy, 750 R1, Wookie58

Father Sonish 1974 KZ400 21 Feb 2022 11:46 #862685

• Wez
  • User

Please take the time to clean the areas to be welded before hand.  Even bare steel should be ground shiny.  It will improve the strength of your welds.  Contaminated welds may look smooth on the surface, but if you grind into them you will find it looks like swiss cheese inside.  Any and all contaminates need to be removed prior to welding.

Sorry for the rant - I used to certify aerospace welders at my shop.  Too many hobby welders don't take the time to properly prep the areas to be welded.  

it's cool.  I appreciate the heads up.  All metal is ground down to bare before welding.  Some pictures were taken directly after welding so they appear dirty, but that's what happened to the metal directly after welding.  It must be like a char or moisture that turns the metal brown.  It's definitely not rust.