• Page:

TOPIC:

Looking for Input 22 Jun 2020 13:21 #828678

• TheFlyingFreemole
  • TheFlyingFreemole's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Hello All,

After some years away, I have gotten my hands back on my KZ1000 B1. I took a trip out East and ended up staying for years, but that is a different story. I am planning on doing some maintenance and upkeep on the bike before I try to fire it up. It was sitting for something like 7 years. I have some basic tools, the shop manual, and an ability to follow instructions, but lack deep mechanical knowledge and super specialty tools.
I figured I'd turn to this group to get input for some things to look into, check on, replace, or update while I am at it. I was interested in what you all thought was a "must", and also what you would suggest doing if I am already getting close on a job or parts around it (as a basic example: if I am replacing the tires I should also replace the tubes...).

With that being said I was planning on:
-Checking brakes (pads/fluid/lines)
-Replacing the clutch cable (seems tight)
-Redoing gas tank (inside and out, for rust removal and prevention)
-Clean/check chain
-Pull carbs off and clean (leave together on rack, replace gaskets)
-Drop Oil Cover (replace gasket, deep clean it, replace plug with magnetic bolt)
-Pulling engine apart down to the jugs and replacing gaskets (check valve clearance, dampers/guides while there)
-New Mirrors and Rear Indicators (somehow the bike took a fall while I was away)
-New Battery/Spark Plugs

That's what I came up with off the top of my head for the health of the bike and the health of me, sorry if this is getting long winded.
1977 KZ1000 LTD B1 (needs minor fine tuning)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by TheFlyingFreemole. Reason: clarify carb info

Looking for Input 22 Jun 2020 13:29 #828679

• TheFlyingFreemole
  • User
Also had a couple specific questions.
I have seen a bit of discussion about changing the coils over to dynas. Is that highly recommended? Is it as simple as swapping them over, or do I need to change a couple of other pieces in the system to make them compatible?

Also, while redoing the engine gaskets, would it be worth going deep enough to redo the piston rings? Or would that cause more headache in the end for needing specialty tools? Any other bits and pieces I should replace or upgrade while inside?

I'm also planning on changing the fuse box over to use the modern blade style. I found a thread on here and am looking into options.

For the tank, I'm doing spray paint for the outside. Currently getting ready strip the outside with a wire wheel and remove any traces of rust.
Thinking about doing an acetone strip on the inside, then covering the inside with a sealant for preventative measures (Red Kote, or POR15 depending on which I can find)

Thanks in advance for your time, and any information or advice!

Looking for Input 22 Jun 2020 14:52 #828688

• Skidmark
  • User
  • Thank you received: 256
Unless the cables are stretched to the point of being unable to adjust, try and remove and lubricate them. You may be able to save some money that way. If it were me, replace the tires and inner tubes. Better safe than sorry. If your tank has rust in it, I would recommend going with a phosphoric acid solution instead of acetone. Rinse it with alcohol (denatured or isopropyl). Make sure the tank can vent pressure when soaking with the acid solution (don't ask how I know!).
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2
'87 Suzuki Savage 650 Street Tracker

Looking for Input 24 Jun 2020 10:19 #828868

• TheFlyingFreemole
  • User
So I am starting with the gas tank while I put together an order list.

Used a wire wheel and took all the previous paint and rust off from the outside. Found a few bondo spots hidden from the previous owner.

From the looks of the gas cap and petcock I have my work cut out. The petcock intake stem is corroded and cracked and I cannot get any air flow through it in any position. Might have to replace the whole unit.

Will start tackling the inside of the tank soon. Aiming to remove the previous tank liner pieces, and get as much of the rust out as possible. Once cleaned up I plan to add Red Kote for future rust prevention.
Attachments:

Last edit: by TheFlyingFreemole. Reason: Inner tank info

Looking for Input 24 Jun 2020 12:25 #828890

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
I would prefer POR15 to de-grease and clean preped for de-rust and seal your tank.

Looking for Input 09 Jul 2020 08:54 #830203

• TheFlyingFreemole
  • User
Currently have the top end of the motor pulled apart. Am planning on pulling the jugs and resealing and adding new gaskets and dampeners back up. Before I start I am going to do some cleaning.
I've read a few threads about cleaning the cylinder head and cooling fins. I'm planning to start with some Elbow Grease, a scotchbrite, and possibly use some diluted PurplePower or SimpleGreen de-greaser to help. My current goal isn't to buff to a shine, but to get it really cleaned off of the old oil/gasket/carbon/etc deposits.

So a big question I have is when cleaning my cylinder heads, should I clean the carbon from the combustion chamber area?
I feel like I've read both ways on this, and I don't plan on removing the valves from the cylinder head.

Looking for Input 09 Jul 2020 10:45 #830208

• Kidkawie
  • User
  • I bleed premix
  • Thank you received: 245
You don't need Dyna coils and ignition, you can just replace the points with the Dyna pickup and use stock coils.

I'd replace all cables, lube the clutch actuator, replace steering bearings and swingarm bushings.
1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• Page: