Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

81/82 KZ440 Project RUSTY 29 Aug 2020 21:07 #833961

• Peanuthead
  • Peanuthead's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
So I had a lot of trouble painting the tank. Scratches, runs, and fogging caused me to sand and paint the tank 4 times. But I think I finally for our right this time. I really how do because I'm dying to take her for a ride. I fortunately broke the plexiglass I was using to make the windshield for the fairing so I have to come up with another idea.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Peanuthead.

81/82 KZ440 Project RUSTY 30 Aug 2020 13:35 #834015

• Peanuthead
  • User
Almost done! All she needs is a freaking window/windshield for the fairing. The one I was making broke and I don't have anymore plexiglass. I might just take her out for a ride tomorrow.
Attachments:

81/82 KZ440 Project RUSTY 04 Sep 2020 14:26 #834380

• Peanuthead
  • User
Just came back from Rusty's first ride, and HOLY CRAP this little bike is fun! Now granted it was only down to the gas station and around the block twice but it was fun. She was idling just a little high, shifted very nicely, and braked great! I still have to do a little more work with the carbs and/or exhaust. Cracking the throttle she just bogged down and goes nowhere. Slowly rolling the throttle, she'll move pretty well. I don't have a tach hooked up so i don't know what rpms she was at. But I did have her up to 32 mph in 3rd gear.

So, am i correct thinking I need to wrap the baffles in the exhaust? This is what I installed in the pipes. Also, she make a nice loud pop after she shut down.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Peanuthead.

81/82 KZ440 Project RUSTY 18 May 2021 07:30 #848681

• Peanuthead
  • User
I spent the last few months trying to figure out if I needed to rejet my carbs, replace them, or something else because she just didn't wanna get out of her own way.  I cleaned out the carbs two more times, bought a carb sync tool, found out they were spot on, wrote down the jet sizes (88 secondary & 65 primary), hunted around eBay for a 4" baffle and FOUND ONE!  And since it was getting cold, I kinda put everything on the back burner (and worked on my Road King replacing broken parts).

Fast forward to 3 May.  The 4" exhaust baffle came in as well as the muffler packing material, so I wen to play in the garage.  Removed the two little universal baffles and installed just the baffle w/o any extra packing material.  The idle smoothed out a lot more than I expected so I felt like it didn't need any more.  I had a chance to actually take her for a ride around the block yesterday and HOLY CRAP! it was light riding a new bike!  She ran pretty good and I got up to 45 MPH!  After this little ride I realized two things.  1-I really do not like the  mid controls (need to find some forward controls or make some).  2- Not a huge fan of the mini/baby apes I installed.  I'm gonna have to play around the other bars I have.

81/82 KZ440 Project RUSTY 01 Jul 2021 20:19 #851067

• Peanuthead
  • User
I've been busy with work and life so Rusty got pushed to the back burner.  A little while ago I fired her up and let her warm up for about 15 mins. She still backfired a bit so I decided to feel the exhaust to see if both cylinders were firing. Cyl 1 (left) was not! Ordered a New coil and waited for it to get here. Got it today and installed it........same thing. She only ran on Cyl 2 (right). Switched plugs, no change but both plugs showed good spark. So I think I might need a new governor-breaker and or pulsing coil (showed some rust on it).

81/82 KZ440 Project RUSTY 02 Jul 2021 15:31 #851130

• Peanuthead
  • User
Just spent about an hour in the garage with Rusty. Turns out it was a bad spark plug! Luckily I had a spare set and used one.  She fired up and both pipes were getting hot. Reset the idle to ~1600 or so and cracked the throttle.  Now heres the crazy thing, she still stumbled and back fires. I stuck My hand over the air box, cracked the throttle again, &  the RPMs began to CLIMB!!!!!!  Slow twists and WOT too!!! So I covered one hole of the snot box to see if it'll run fine and it did. Gonna wait a little bit and try to take her for a test ride. Maybe a video to come later?

81/82 KZ440 Project RUSTY 02 Jul 2021 18:35 #851141

• Peanuthead
  • User
IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, just a stupid, bad spark plug was the problem. I just came back from a shake down run and she got up to 50mph in 4th gear!! Damn this little thing is fun! I did, however, find out that the cylinder head is leaking but not surprising since it was sitting a while. Sorry but no video (phone was dying and it was getting dark) but I had a HUGE smile on my face.

81/82 KZ440 Project RUSTY 19 Oct 2021 04:36 #856802

• Peanuthead
  • User
Well.............not a whole lot to really post about.  I'm almost finished with the cylinder gasket replacement but I'm having a little problem getting the cam gear/sprocket back onto the the cam.  Does anyone know or show me a tip?  The manual just says slip it back on.  

Also, swap meets are dangerous lol.  I went to one a few weeks ago and picked up a digital speedometer, highway pegs, and (another) headlight fairing.  Looks like I'm gonna rewire Rusty a little sooner than I originally planned.  Maybe this time I'll take DETAILED pictures.

81/82 KZ440 Project RUSTY 21 Mar 2022 09:26 #864127

• Peanuthead
  • User
I feel defeated y'all. I went into the garage to try and get Rusty running last night and think I fucked up. I removed the timing cover so I could adjust the valves and she won't turn. Tech manual says turn counterclockwise but it won't budge. Did I lock up my engine when i replaced the cylinder head gasket?

81/82 KZ440 Project RUSTY 21 Mar 2022 16:14 #864147

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892

Did I lock up my engine when i replaced the cylinder head gasket?
If your cam chain timing is off one of your valves will hit the piston dom.

81/82 KZ440 Project RUSTY 21 Mar 2022 16:59 #864151

• Nebr_Rex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 295

Did I lock up my engine when i replaced the cylinder head gasket?
If your cam chain timing is off one of your valves will hit the piston dom.

You have to off more than 1 tooth for the valves to hit the pistons on a KZ440.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

81/82 KZ440 Project RUSTY 22 Mar 2022 17:10 #864195

• Peanuthead
  • User
I did have a hard time getting the gear & cam to line up on the chain. Suggestions?