Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 16 May 2021 17:01 #848559

• Saablord
  • Saablord's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 59
Time for the weekly update  

I finished up the motor earlier in the week. There were some annoying setbacks, but I got there in the end. Changes: 0.08" base spacer (copper spray gasket used as sealant), variable cam gears (intake C/L110 atdc, exh C/L 110 btdc), ZR750 oil pump, needle bearing clutch pusher, oil pan with oil galley diverter.

I made progress on the gas tank as well. I started by removing the emblem bracket things, sandblasting and used acid etch weld through primer before welding them back on:

(just like the factory, eh?)

I knew there would be holes in some areas as well. I filled these in and made a new one on accident  . I should use silicon bronze filler rod next time... 

I then used evaporust to clean out the inside of the tank, washed with isopropyl and acetone, then used the caswell tank sealer kit. Now i can run E85 in this tank:

Sandblasted the rest of the outside and was planning on spraying some epoxy primer today, but it's been raining off and on all afternoon. I'll have to do that tomorrow. That's how i'll leave it until I do the rest of the painting on the bike. Bondo can lay over epoxy primer just fine after a good scuff. 

After that its finally back to wiring. 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Saablord.

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 24 May 2021 16:07 #848962

• Saablord
  • User
Finished the tank this week and didnt do much else. 

Now you can really see all the minor dents in it. oohfta. These will get bondo of course
Attachments:

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 31 May 2021 18:47 #849375

• Saablord
  • User
Made some progress on the wiring this week. It now has a body wiring harness that is mostly complete. Need to wire up the dash and a few more sensors added to the ECU. Not too far off from more tuning.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bent Trigger

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 12 Jul 2021 06:45 #851605

• Saablord
  • User
I guess I took the month of June off  . Anyways, I've been finishing up the wiring and I only have a few more crimps to do at the ECU connector and its functional!

Backside of the gauge cluster. These are just power wires and fuses. The boost pressure sensor actually goes in here too because the sensor wasn't waterproof... so there's a little vacuum line going into the back of this cluster. It should hold up otherwise I can pot the sensor and move it under the seat.

First power up of the gauges

The speedo pickup that doesn't work because the sensor is the hall effect kind and only works like this with a steel rotor. I just need to remake the bracket to reach the rotor bolts.

remote oil pressure sensor for the gauge.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 16 Jul 2021 22:20 #851892

• Saablord
  • User
Soooo, I started it for the first time with the turbo and all of the "recent" changes. It started right up after sitting for months and went pretty well minus a couple bad fuel system seals and leaky oil AN fittings....

The new vacuum chamber is definitely making it idle better (looks like i finally got it right!)

The exhaust sounds quite nice i think and was pretty much what i was expecting from a glasspack muffler with a turbo before it.

The pulse pump has no problem keeping up with the turbo for scavenging, and i still have good oil pressure (on startup, not sure what hot idle is yet). I need to reroute how that oil gets back into the engine because it likes to come out the breather tube...heh....

tomorrow i plan on digging into the ecu and setting up all of the new things i wired up (can bus AFR, barometer, tach output, flex fuel sensor, buttons from the dash, boost control). Then i need modify my VE table for positive pressures.

Idle video: photos.app.goo.gl/ncXCZmBL6JnYKAYG7

revs: photos.app.goo.gl/SdXEAanSnSYBwqgi8
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bdog, Bent Trigger

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 24 Jul 2021 20:13 #852487

• Saablord
  • User
ive been tinkering with the tune and fixing my usb connection (to the ECU) issues since my last post. I just had the first proper boosted test run today where it wasnt so rich it bogged. The 650 test motor needs to go as its clutch is slipping at 5psi or above 4krpm.... just when things get rowdy.

With the turbo, the motor idles at 10psi oil pressure, so that's not great. this is exactly why the 750 turbo guys use the zr750 oil pump. the oil thermostat is still leaking a bit so that will get fixed now too.

Also, shockingly, the two wire alternator is holding up just fine with the EFI conversion! im sure the PWM returnless fuel pump helps a lot

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 25 Jul 2021 07:08 #852502

• Bent Trigger
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Looks and sounds very nice Jordon!! I have been wondering about oil pressure too, And if there is a better option than the original for my 77 1000. You have Mad Skills and Patience!! Chris

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 25 Jul 2021 07:18 #852503

• Saablord
  • User
Thanks!

I'm not familiar with the 1000 motors at all. My only thought is an external electric oil pump. You could even use the same fuel pump controller I did but with a vdo oil pump. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bent Trigger

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 31 Dec 2023 18:46 #893366

• Saablord
  • User
Still here alive and wellish. haha

This bike was running well (wheelies at 8psi boost in 1st with a 17/38 sprockets) but oil pressure was horrendous. It sat for a while and now I'm back on this project after getting the project car running. 

Currently swapping the stock 650 motor back in and will do some testing to get oil pressure data I can trust (stock, upgraded pump, then with turbo) and figure out where I went wrong. I have a set of 750 jugs and pistons to install on it as well (small oil leak to fix and I need to lower compression). 

Goal is to switch to E85 and see how far I can push this turbo and mildly upgraded motor (head studs, clutch, oil pump, base spacer). Maybe 200hp? Might sell turbo kits after that.