Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 07 Jun 2020 21:13 #827559

• Saablord
  • Saablord's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 59
good stuff guys. itll be handy for when i finally get to my manifold

Anyways, made some progress on the suspension swaps this weekend.
Swing arm parts. KZ on the left, ZX600 on the right. Just swap the sleeve, drill the spacers, and it ready to go.

Chopping off the end of the zx9r steering stem and swapping it onto the kz stem

Machining the top triple... This was quite the adventure

Made a bushing insert like Leon did here . I kept mine above the top of the triple tree for a better weld though (compensates for my shitting welding)

My All balls taper bearings will be in soon! So close to being a rolling frame again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawasakik1e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Saablord.

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 09 Jun 2020 20:04 #827722

• Saablord
  • User
Got my all balls order in:
Zx9r fork seals
zx9r front wheel bearings
zr750 rear wheel bearings
Kz650 tapered bearings for the new steering stem.

:ohmy: :woohoo:

I apparently misread something because the zr750 wheel does not have the same diameter rear brake disc as the zx600. My 2000 zr750 has a 240mm. 87 zx600 has a 250mm. I've ordered a 94 zx600 rear caliper and bracket that should work. Ill have to drill it out to 20mm from 17mm like i did for the 87 zx600 one as well.

Gotta figure out the spacers on the rear axle as well.

I've also found another supposedly straight front wheel that should be here by the end of the week, so the front end is pretty close!
Attachments:

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 09 Jun 2020 20:45 #827727

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2673

DoctoRot wrote: equal header lengths are far less important than many people think. The header length mostly effects where peak torque occurs in the RPM range. Sometimes unequal lengths are intentionally created as it produces a broader torque curve. I'm sure that turbo manifold will work just fine. The early turbo setups used a log type manifold, they switched to the spider type because it was thought they would flow better but it created a smaller volume resulting in less turbo lag.

I think that header looks fine. I doubt such a short header would lend anything to tuning anyway.

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 10 Jun 2020 05:20 #827744

• Nebr_Rex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 298
Your welds are to cold, turn up the heat. Remove the weld it is not going to hold.
Reweld with more heat and less filler material. Or at least have someone who
knows what they are doing weld the parts. It's your neck on the line.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 10 Jun 2020 07:22 #827755

• Saablord
  • User
Yeah a bit cold for sure. I have more work to do on the triple, so ill get that done then.

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 11 Jun 2020 18:29 #827947

• Saablord
  • User
Broke out the ol DC Tig and welded up a steering stop and sealed off the stem lock.

After: 1/8" of clearance. Might tighten that up later....

Also started sealing up some recirculation plates.
Attachments:

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 11 Jun 2020 18:36 #827948

• Kawasakik1e
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Steering stop..... its the little things. Looking good man!
The Collection-all insured, plated and ridden.
'79 KZ650 EFI/Turbo Project
'76 KZ900 "Workin' Man"
'00 ZRX1100 The Beast
'09 H-D XR1200 "XR8ted"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Saablord

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 11 Jun 2020 23:44 #827961

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
nice work or the steering stops.

In regards to the triple - I would pre heat the piece a bit with a torch before welding because of the thickness, but not too much so that you mess with the temper out side the weld zone. If possible I would have the bushing flange on the bottom and weld both sides as well. aluminum castings are tough to weld. you can do it.

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 27 Jun 2020 18:35 #829164

• Saablord
  • User
Time for a big ol update!
Cleaned up the filthy leaking test motor with some mineral spirits!

What a difference. New seals and oil change as well.

Shock mounts. There was a whole day of headscratching and geometry/force analysis that went into figuring out ride height and all that. oohfta.

Removing bolts from the sprocket carrier.

Using the 4 jaw because it wouldnt fit in a 3 jaw! .

Bingo. 530 3/8 offset sprocket from PBI Sprockets and milled 7.93mm off of the sprocket carrier. Im using a rear 530 sprocket from a 93-03 TL1000s (JTR-499). 530 DID chain
There is 18.4mm between the back of the sprocket and a 160 wheel on the zr750 rims. I still have about 1/8" of chain clearance for the tire. plenty for the frame and the chain still lands on the swing arm wear strip. This also give me the clearance i need to fit the shocks mounts and their bolts.
If this was a monoshock conversion i wouldve used a 1/2" offset sprocket (American Classix has them).
I bought a laser level and nearly screwed myself because it was off by 1/4" over a foot... went back to the good ol straight edge and careful measurement

The zr750 wheel spacing was perfect for the zx600 swingarm. I had to space the caliper bracket (94 zx600) on the wheel side by 2.5mm and mill a bit off on the otherside. Fitting a 160 tire required clearancing about 4mm off the swingarm at minimum chain tensioner travel. I'm not worried at all as the twin shock setup will reduce the stress the swing arm sees.

She's on all two for the first time in weeks. That front wheel was a nightmare! I bought two that were not straight even though they were advertised as such (one seller even re-listed it with no note of this! bastards!) . The third came with a damaged speedo gear.
That's a early (93-95) zx7 fender that nearly fits on the zx9 forks (not the ugly duck bill... thing). Just need to drill new holes for two bolts. (goof zx9 fork swap info here )

05/06 ZX6 controls. Zx9r front master and clutch master. motion pro throttle with a super slow ratio for my massive TBs... lol. Emgo supersport bars. Also had the welders at work reweld my triple (both sides of the bushing) and milled it again with a nice chamfer.

03 cbr600rr rear tail light - im using an after market integrated sequential light form www.motodynamic.com/03-06-honda-cbr-600r...lear.htmlmotodynamic

Damn that's beautiful.

Kawasakik1e hooked me up with this stock, but powdercoated light housing. i have some fork brackets coming as well.

will put one of these headlights in... also with integrated turn signals. afaik this is legal where i am. i couldn't find anything in the vehicle codes about spacing.

universal tarozzi rearsets.

The 650 specific rear sets for the single bolt footpeg models are ugly (pic from American Classix)

EBC MD4022X front rotors :woohoo: I got these for $80 each. Also have some new tarozzi fork tubes barely visible in this pic.

Bought this seat on ebay from vietnam. Looks great!

Up next? mmm probably sorting out the rear brake. Might machine a mirrored bracket to hang it under the axle or just tilt the brake back further and route the torque bar around the rear shock.

Need to mill out the clutch slave mount plates as well.

I've ordered zr750 shocks from the UK and will have them rebuilt by Daugherty Motorsports

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 21 Jul 2020 11:08 #831133

• Saablord
  • User
Ooohf. a month since the last update.....

Got a straight front wheel and mounted up the EBC rotors and zx9 calipers. Using the brake lines from a kz750H1 for now

Pieced together the headlight assy. that led light though :woohoo: I bought some fork clamps and am making some prototype 3d printed brackets as i write this post. Got the front fender installed as well. Holes had to be relocated 10mm further apart to match the zx9 forks with the zx7 fender.

Day dreaming about turbo position

Used some rod ends to sneak the caliper torque bar around the rear shock. I plan on moving the mount on the swing arm later.

Zephyr 750 shocks installed. ride height is pretty good, but the front forks still need to be extended 20mm.

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 21 Jul 2020 12:49 #831146

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
coming along nicely sir!

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 30 Jul 2020 13:23 #831883

• Saablord
  • User
Testing the 3d printed headlight parts

Did the rough cut on the clutch plate and headlight brackets

Ill use rubber washers (black parts) to clamp the headlight between the two brackets and prevent tilting. A plastic spacer will sit between two washers to align the brackets and bucket (grey part in between black washers). I also made some goofy aluminum washers that sit inside the bucket (grey, right most part of exploded view)

i didn't have the profile of the starter in cad, so it was trimmed to fit... PITA hah I'll be bleeding this and test it tonight. Still need to machine a proper clutch slave spacer (not just bushings)
Attachments: