Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 30 Apr 2020 09:39 #824630

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
this is pretty wild. im in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 30 Apr 2020 11:31 #824642

• Saablord
  • Saablord's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 59

this is pretty wild. im in.

Hahaha, yes it is.

Adapter for gpz1100 TB rack and gsxr TPS

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawasakik1e

Last edit: by Saablord.

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 02 May 2020 14:02 #824802

• Saablord
  • User
Well this certainly explains why it couldnt crank well when the plugs were in! seized starter clutch pin!

Attachments:

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 02 May 2020 21:46 #824821

• Saablord
  • User
Video

We got a engine running on the ECU! Not the turbo motor of course, but I just connected the coil packs and single VR sensor on my 650 daily for some testing.

This led to a couple important discoveries. The stock advancer locked in place will not work! The ecu is not updated often enough with the position of the engine to rev without sputtering.

The next option is using both VR sensors to double the update rate to the ecu, but that won't be enough either really. Most cars have 36 or more updates per revolution.

Long story short, I will need to laser cut a custom crank trigger wheel.

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 03 May 2020 04:47 #824831

• Eakin
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm still collecting parts for my EFI build, but have been thinking a lot about keeping my Dyna ignition and using the tach signal to trigger the MS, or if I should retrofit a trigger wheel in there. I'd love to see where you end up with this.

I'm also building a MS setup in my old Volvo 240, but luckily that's a pretty well documented process. Yoshifab sells a CAS adapter that they've retrofit in to a distributor housing to simplify installation. Their trigger wheel is pretty small, and available separately. Do you think something like this might work for our bikes? I'd have to get another sensor and fab a mount for it, but that all seems manageable. Would save getting a wheel cut.

yoshifab.com/store/high-resolution-dsm-cas-trigger-disk.html

Last edit: by Eakin.

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 03 May 2020 04:53 #824832

• Eakin
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Or, if you're getting something cut for the KZ, I'd definitely be interested in getting one as well. I'm sure there are a few more on here that would buy one as well to help offset the setup costs of a 1-off part.

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 03 May 2020 08:54 #824856

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
Cool! You lost me at 1st sentence! But you made the Honor Role in class! I remember Hillborn Injectors running Methanol on 3/4 midgets and dwarf cars when they still used air cooled Z engines!
Very nice work! I am sure that the line of work you are in, gave you this knowledge!
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 05 May 2020 11:20 #825050

• Kawasakik1e
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Ok, very cool.what your doing there Saablord......! I'm extremely busy with those home improvements I mentioned.
Really wanting to start 1st stage of getting motor running on the MS2 but it will be a bit before I start on that.
You said you might need a frame? I have a 81 kz750 frame, no title... I'm taking the mags and swing arm. Forks are junk. I'm In WI. If you want the frame, I'll give it to you.... it would be best to blast and powder coat it. You pay shipping, it's yours.
Email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. of interested.
Everyone else following this thread, glad to have you aboard!
The Collection-all insured, plated and ridden.
'79 KZ650 EFI/Turbo Project
'76 KZ900 "Workin' Man"
'00 ZRX1100 The Beast
'09 H-D XR1200 "XR8ted"
Attachments:

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 06 May 2020 11:08 #825134

• Saablord
  • User

Eakin wrote: I'm still collecting parts for my EFI build, but have been thinking a lot about keeping my Dyna ignition and using the tach signal to trigger the MS, or if I should retrofit a trigger wheel in there. I'd love to see where you end up with this.

I'm also building a MS setup in my old Volvo 240, but luckily that's a pretty well documented process. Yoshifab sells a CAS adapter that they've retrofit in to a distributor housing to simplify installation. Their trigger wheel is pretty small, and available separately. Do you think something like this might work for our bikes? I'd have to get another sensor and fab a mount for it, but that all seems manageable. Would save getting a wheel cut.

yoshifab.com/store/high-resolution-dsm-cas-trigger-disk.html

I believe the megasquirt has a dual trigger mode that may work better with the stock ignition.... yep here it is on the megasquirt docs , its called dualspark meant for vtwins etc.

As for that trigger, yes it could work. The wheel needs to be 67mm (offset 8mm out from the crank end which puts it out past the TDC mark but in between the three posts that mount the stock trigger plate) or 58mm (mounted flush to the crank end and is approx same diameter and location as the stock advancer).

Going above the stock trigger plate could work if the sensor is mounted first, and then the crank trigger is installed over it (sensor would point out). Lots of ways to do it. Im trying to stick with VR as thats what my ECU is currently setup for.

Kawasakik1e wrote: Ok, very cool.what your doing there Saablord......! I'm extremely busy with those home improvements I mentioned.
Really wanting to start 1st stage of getting motor running on the MS2 but it will be a bit before I start on that.
You said you might need a frame? I have a 81 kz750 frame, no title... I'm taking the mags and swing arm. Forks are junk. I'm In WI. If you want the frame, I'll give it to you.... it would be best to blast and powder coat it. You pay shipping, it's yours.
Email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. of interested.
Everyone else following this thread, glad to have you aboard!

Life always gets in the way! But, i'm not sure where i want to put this motor yet, so ill pass for now.

z1kzonly wrote: Cool! You lost me at 1st sentence! But you made the Honor Role in class! I remember Hillborn Injectors running Methanol on 3/4 midgets and dwarf cars when they still used air cooled Z engines!
Very nice work! I am sure that the line of work you are in, gave you this knowledge!

thanks, Hah! I guess i did! Don't really think about that anymore... I'm just a guy with too much time and money on my hands with a fab shop at work!

Here's where im at with the crank trigger...

Test fitting the 3d printed crank trigger wheel to verify my TDC offset. Im using the stock advancer base as a mount for my wheel. Now that i have an accurate model of the TDC offset, i could get rid of it for a completely custom mount. But it's also nice keeping the 17mm crank nut.

Model of the new bracket (white), trigger (blue), and existing mounting locations (transparent)

I'm hoping the wheel is large enough for the sensor to properly detect the teeth and gaps of the wheel... If not ill have to reduce the teeth down to 24 (currently a 36 tooth)

Magnetizing the sensor will also be a challenge. I plan on throwing a 25mm neodymium magnet on the mount plate and see what it does!

Edit: test fit of the brackets
Attachments:

Last edit: by Saablord.

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 08 May 2020 20:57 #825288

• Kawasakik1e
  • User
Looking great Saablord! Really awesome! I'm anxious to start rolling on my EFI/ Turbo build sooner than later this summer.......so, I've changed direction back to my original plan of Turboing the KZ1000 motor I previously mentioned ( bored out to 1105cc with high lift cams). I'm looking into laser cutting a base gasket to drop compression down from 10.25 to maybe 8/1
It makes sense as the bottom end has been apart and powdercoated, I have a restored bike to put it in(one of my regular rides) and I don't have a lot left to do to reassemble (except learn to port and polish a head...lol)My kz750 project motor needs complete disassembly and rebuild...and the bike I want to put it in , I had planned to completely restore(although it is roadworthy now).
Just a side note on powdercoating engine cases yourself- very easy. But. The pics below of my 1105 motor; each case half took 5hrs to glass bead-blast and powdercoat. That's a lot of meticulous masking off (2 times for each pc.; once for the glass blast and once to coat)). 10hrs just to do 2 case halves.... that doesn't include all the other parts I coated for that motor.
That's why I'm not in a hurry to start on 750motor...lol.
So, it's a bit of a time issue( I'd like to ride it this summer) and I've sunk a bunch of $$$ into the KZ1000 already. The kz650 bike can sit.
So, Saablord has got me pretty.motivated to.move forward NOW on this one...
Saablord, anychance I could hire you to do the same mods.on my TBS that you did to yours????
'76 KZ900 "Workin' Man"
'00 ZRX1100 The Beast
'09 H-D XR1200 "XR8ted"

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 09 May 2020 07:38 #825300

• Saablord
  • User
Your other option for that high compression is switching to e85 like me :lol:

What is your bead blaster setup?

What do you need for the TBs? TPS adapter and fuel rail?

That's a great looking kz900 you have there!

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 09 May 2020 20:24 #825357

• Kawasakik1e
  • User
Thanks on the 900 compliment. That's my girl... '76 KZ900 with '75 sidecovers/badges. That's how I bought it.... I "Restored " it, and kept the Z1 look. I'm pretty honest. It's not a Z1!
I threw in a shot of a '77KZ650 I picked up. That's eventually going to be Turboed.
The Blaster is Harbor Freight. $180... use glass bead. Did all the mods I saw on YouTube. Got a "Dust Deputy" cyclonic thingy to filter out the dust before the shop-vac. Works great.
For the TBS, yeah- fuel rail and TPS adapter. Did you have to do any machining to put in different injectors?
'76 KZ900 "Workin' Man"
'00 ZRX1100 The Beast
'09 H-D XR1200 "XR8ted"
Attachments: