Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ750H Restoration 05 Jan 2020 15:26 #816507

• calum
  • calum's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 380
Got new dampers for the clutch basket. Went through the standard clutch basket rigmarole as per turbosteve. The dampers weren't as tight as I would have liked, but definitely a big improvement.

My staking needs some work, but as previously mentioned this is my first rodeo.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, Scirocco

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by calum. Reason: Fixing picture layout

KZ750H Restoration 05 Jan 2020 15:38 #816508

• calum
  • User
Time to get the bottom end back in the frame. Don't have a main stand so I chucked an engine mounting bolt out of my old Hornet through the main stand mounts and got the axle stands out.

Getting the clutch, alternator and pickup coils back in. Also put my nice shiny breather cover back on.

KZ750H Restoration 05 Jan 2020 15:44 #816509

• calum
  • User
Next up was measuring the cylinders, pistons and ring gap. All OK, although some of the ring gaps were a bit on the large side (they were all in the 0.45-0.60mm range). Still in spec, so tried to ignore it and moved on.
I also sanded and painted the airbox on a warm day. The lines on the side of it were pretty beaten up so I just sanded it flat so it looks like the version with the airbox covers. You can see it in the last picture.

Attachments:

KZ750H Restoration 05 Jan 2020 15:50 #816510

• calum
  • User
It was finally time to lap the valves and put the head back on.... or not. I think the valve guides have been replaced sometime and the valve seats weren't recut. The seats weren't anywhere near concentric. I invested in some Neway cutters and got to work. This also made it easy to check the valve guide size (the larger pilot I got only went up to 7.05mm and I only needed it for one valve, service limit is 7.08mm).
In the first picture you can see how bad they were. I put some machinists blue on the seat and cut the 30° and 60° faces, the remaining blue is the seating face.

Before and after of the pitting on the exhaust valves:

KZ750H Restoration 05 Jan 2020 15:53 #816511

• calum
  • User
Valves cut and reassembled, head back on, camshaft and valve clearance checked, cam height measured - all good except of course the valve clearance after doing the seats. Also checked the head surface with a straight edge - was just within spec - 0.03mm feeler got under the straight edge in some places and the tolerance on the edge is 0.018mm over the entire 500mm length, manual says it should be under 0.050mm.

Attachments:

Last edit: by calum. Reason: Added straight edge photos

KZ750H Restoration 05 Jan 2020 15:55 #816512

• calum
  • User
OK, so now we're all caught up :) Installed the Delkevic exhaust this weekend while I'm waiting for the shims. I think I would prefer the megaphone silencer - the straight one in the picture is more cafe racer style. Not much choice though, the old man picked it out :laugh:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: JR, Scirocco

Last edit: by calum.

KZ750H Restoration 05 Jan 2020 17:03 #816517

• mopguy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 168
I like what you are doing, and I have a passion for the ltd750h, as I am older and find it easier to ride then my other ltds.
I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: calum

KZ750H Restoration 05 Jan 2020 17:08 #816518

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2670
calum,
Your project looks awesome! Well done!
Hate to pop your bubble but green gaskets like Athena are EVIL! Please tell me you didn't buy Athena! OEM for the critical gaskets like the base gasket are the best.

KZ750H Restoration 05 Jan 2020 17:22 #816520

• calum
  • User
Thanks guys.
@mopguy: I like the 750H as well. Spent a bit of extra cash getting the handlebars rechromed as I didn't want to make any compromises on the riding position. My daily rider is a 2012 Hornet with a wide street bar - bit of a different story!

@nessism: Oh well, I guess we'll call this the Athena experiment :unsure: I've had good experiences with Athena in the past... If anything fails it's not too bad, Nothing that will require splitting cases. TBH I got the gasket set from Athena as it made a few hundred dollars difference compared to OEM. The oil pan gasket has been fine for about 6 weeks with oil in it :whistle:

EDIT: Saw your post on Athena gaskets. One good thing may be the fact that the base gasket isn't the same green gasket as the clutch gasket etc. It has a different texture that feels more like what I use on the Mini. Also, not green Looks like I was getting confused with the valve cover gasket. Can definitely see some green between the cylinders and crankcase... Let the experiment begin :)

KZ750H Restoration 06 Jan 2020 04:48 #816532

• calum
  • User
Here are some photos of the repair I had to do on two of the exhaust stud holes. They split when I was extracting the bolts (got 6 out with heat and patience, two of them just wouldn't come out). The first photo isn't very good but you can just see the hairline crack. Ground out the side walls with a dremel and got a local guy to weld them up for me. Then spent lunch time at school in the woodwork room throwing together a rig for the drill press. Used some long 6mm threaded rod to make sure the holes were in line. Studs ended up perfect when I put the exhaust on.

Attachments:

KZ750H Restoration 06 Jan 2020 04:51 #816533

• calum
  • User
Cleaned up the coils and replaced the leads and caps (NGK). Took a page out of Nessisms book and reused the sheaths from the original leads.

Attachments:

KZ750H Restoration 08 Jan 2020 06:44 #816686

• jayrodoh
  • User
  • Thank you received: 27
I rode one of those for awhile while I restored my XJ. Was a fun bike and it's cool to see one getting restored! There was a member on here that had a NOS complete exhaust system on here for sale, it was awhile ago but might still be available if you were looking to go that route.

1982 KZ750-M1 CSR
Attachments: