Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1974 kz trike 21 Mar 2022 17:30 #864153

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1771
These have been around as OEM in the car world for a long time now, it's not so much about absolute power as it is about drivability. There are a set of shutters in the exhaust turbine housing which at low revs and throttle opening close of the exhaust passage - restricting the flow increases the pressure and gas speed ( kind of like putting your thumb on the end of a hosepipe) which spools the turbo much quicker, as the engine speed and throttle opening increase the shutters open up to allow full gas flow through the turbo. This means a power delivery more like a supercharger but without the mechanical losses. In the picture below, the linkage in the bottom left corner is what operates the shutters and is controlled by the engine management (this is the one I blew at Christmas on my diesel Jaguar  )
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1974 kz trike 21 Mar 2022 17:38 #864154

• Wookie58

I designed your intake system

Those look a whole lot healthier than mine did (spot the missing impeller nut  )

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shankkole

Last edit: by Wookie58.

1974 kz trike 21 Mar 2022 18:31 #864160

• Shankkole
  • Shankkole's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 141

I designed your intake system

WOWSERS!  
What say you for a carb, Dave?
Go for the HSR? go against everything and make it run with a super E? old school SU? A CV? there is TOOO many carbs out there.

Last edit: by Shankkole.

1974 kz trike 21 Mar 2022 18:34 #864161

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1895
Looks like your turbo axle bearing are also worn out and some of your impaller wings get in love with the aluminum intake housing.

1974 kz trike 22 Mar 2022 00:20 #864166

• Wookie58

Looks like your turbo axle bearing are also worn out and some of your impaller wings get in love with the aluminum intake housing.

You are not wrong, the shaft was broken luckily so the impeller came to rest there. Half a day to replace it and two days to clean the debris and contents of the sump out of the intake system. You could do with three elbows and the hands of a five year old child to work on modern cars. Glad I don't have to do it for a living any more (I got lucky and found the missing nut in the EGR valve !!)

1974 kz trike 22 Mar 2022 09:22 #864177

• Shankkole
  • User
Alright 
My final answers is................
Im going tried and true PULL THROUGH now.
I want this on the road this summer.If I go down the road of blow through I see too many carb/tuning issues for myself to remedy and enjoy my summer.
I am still going to make my own pipes.Going black with some polished stainless heat shields.I have a carbon seal kit ordered as well now.
Now I'm on the hunt for a HSR Mikuni.

1974 kz trike 22 Mar 2022 09:47 #864178

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967

Alright 
My final answers is................
Im going tried and true PULL THROUGH now.
I want this on the road this summer.If I go down the road of blow through I see too many carb/tuning issues for myself to remedy and enjoy my summer.
I am still going to make my own pipes.Going black with some polished stainless heat shields.I have a carbon seal kit ordered as well now.
Now I'm on the hunt for a HSR Mikuni.

42 mm 

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

1974 kz trike 14 Apr 2022 05:28 #865400

• Shankkole
  • User
I started on the head pipe, will take some sanding to look good.working on smalls again in the evenings. They aint perfect, but I will not pay a thousand dollars for plumbing pipes when I can make some.I understand that the performance on this exact design is not tested but I am going close to MR Turbo head pipe and I figure they did some math on it. Also if you are wondering, the tapered bit is a trumpet exhaust muffler. 
Be well
Attachments:

1974 kz trike 14 Apr 2022 06:23 #865404

• Wookie58
I love your philosophy, "what's the worst that could happen" 

PS: I mean this in a supportive way (as opposed to a "it will end in tears" kind of way)

Last edit: by Wookie58.

1974 kz trike 14 Apr 2022 06:34 #865407

• Shankkole
  • User
Im no fragile soul, if someone here KNOWS this is a bad idea.Please call me out on it.
Im still learning a lot with every misstep, Hahahaha.

Also the pics are deceiving, the "collector pipe" is 1 5/8"    to         2 3/8" at the largest O.D. so with the 90 bend coming I do not believe I'm over sized there.As I spoke with Dave, his wisdom rings true. This will fit my power needs ,but in  no way is this a "tuned exhaust".   
Be well
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

Last edit: by Shankkole.