Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1974 kz trike 28 Dec 2020 09:24 #840719

• Shankkole
  • Shankkole's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 141
Finally! now I can tell you what was finally successful for me to make a simple mould.I used this formula 1 part cornstarch
1 part full tube of 100% silicone from any hardware store

Then get a 1/4 cup of water and a quarter size squirt of liquid dish soap ( )
and a squirt of water based paint(this helps to see if you are fully mixed) ( mix these together )
I used a piece of junk plywood as a mixing board I first spread the cornstarch out and made an equal layer.Then I used a caulk gun to make rows of silicone to equally spread out over the cornstarch, then folded the cornstarch into the silicone with a body filler spreader.After mixing for about 20 seconds I then spread out the mix like a dough and dumped the water/paint etc mix in the middle,HURRY NOW! you have 30 more seconds to knead in the water mix and get into your mold. Maybe another 30 seconds of working time and then boom... sticky.
The concept is that the cornstarch soaks up the moisture (which helps the silicone dry internally)and the soap helps it not stick a little to objects but get a detailed finish.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1974 kz trike 28 Dec 2020 13:01 #840730

• Shankkole
  • User
The over 1 year old epoxy was a bit thick, and for table tops(not for thick applications really).I mixed 1 drop of house of color cherry kandy concentrate to get an idea of how much to pigment when the good epoxy arrives.I only poured 3/4 full to see get and idea. I like it.looks great with a flashlight behind it.Also the CHROME showed up in awesome condition!
Attachments:

1974 kz trike 28 Dec 2020 17:18 #840758

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
Are you planning on degassing the epoxy? It will help with the bubbles. I am impressed with your DIY approach to pattern making but Smooth-on products aren’t too expensive and give amazing results for hobbiests. Takes some of the guess work out for us onesy-twosey guys
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shankkole

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

1974 kz trike 28 Dec 2020 18:28 #840760

• Shankkole
  • User
My next step was to purchase a mould kit if unsuccessful.I enjoy messing with stuff as it usually helps me learn/understand and helps later on in life on some other project.I have only used epoxy as more of a topcoat until this.With some fresh deep pour epoxy I should be in.I still have the modified final version of the lens so I can re cast a new mold if I jack something up before I get 4 good lens poured out. Thanks for the heads up though,this must be finished this winter!

1974 kz trike 04 Feb 2021 05:23 #842957

• Shankkole
  • User
Hello again, I am getting ready to finish the rear fiberglass tub.I have a bunch of old iron horse mags with kawasaki chopper pics.The plan is to do a mosaic collage of vintage pics for the inside liner then a clear coat over them.Is there a specific add that is iconic to the Z1/KZ from the olden days that MUST be included ?I have been looking, but being I was born in 79 I am not sure which was THE add, if ya get my drift. Im sure you have all seen these Eagles, but Man they are cool!Kudos to the artist!
Attachments:

1974 kz trike 14 Mar 2021 17:07 #844922

• Shankkole
  • User
Got most of the lower cases ready, waiting on a couple small rubber parts.I started to look at her and make a final assembly plan. I'm going closer to full polish on this gem. here she is in rough buff with dirt and crap everywhere.tomorrow I'm getting in bathtub with the cases add some 1200 grit and then 2000. Wash with dish soap and brushes.I run 200 ft of air hose in through the bath window and have my blowgun ready to blow out oil galleys.After final buff and wash I have some long pipe cleaners that I will clean all oil galleys I can (again).Then I think it will work.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dragbike_Mike

1974 kz trike 14 Mar 2021 17:09 #844923

• Shankkole
  • User
more
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw, Dragbike_Mike

1974 kz trike 14 Mar 2021 19:53 #844932

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843
That’s awesome...!!!
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

1974 kz trike 18 Mar 2021 07:57 #845139

• Shankkole
  • User
Im not sure if the pics show the difference but she shines.I still have to clean and hand polish before case re assembly. Having issues with pics not wanting to load full size, And yes I inserted them but they come out as thumbnail.Is it me?
Attachments:

Last edit: by Shankkole. Reason: pic issue

1974 kz trike 18 Mar 2021 08:08 #845142

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Nice shine.
The picture problem is not you. Bill is looking into the glitch.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

1974 kz trike 05 Apr 2021 11:14 #846215

• Shankkole
  • User
I decided to try "plasti dip" for coating the inside of the tub.It has a nice soft feel and seems good after 3 coats(2 cans).started the side panels, they will get some speakers and some black leather suede. Going to have the same black suede and black hair on hide sheepskin for the seat. if you have ever sat on a sheep hide its awesome, the hair lets your ass breathe so "sweaty butt" on long rides.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

1974 kz trike 05 Apr 2021 12:34 #846218

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1951
I fixed your pictures
I like the plasticote idea

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn